Kiwi that Flew

165mm of rear travel....dreaming on

I was just looking at the Tour Mont Blanc video that Specialized did featuring the 165mm of rear travel Enduro. Matt Hunter Tours Mont Blanc - YouTube

This made me think - didn't Turner once have a prototype of a bike with the same amount of travel? I think that bike is as relevant now as it ever was/ would have been, especially with this Super Enduro racing thing that everyone is talking about.

I'm hoping to do this ride next year. If nothing else I will take my Spot w/ 160mm Lyrik.

Enjoy the Vid if you have not already seen it.

Cheers
    Deano.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, that part of the world is incredible. You pay for the tooling for an RFX deano, and I will pay for a trip to ride around Mont Blanc! I gotta say though, those wheels look kinda small? I want over sized hoops on my trail bikes. But, since you are paying, dean ol buddy, do you want 26 or 275 wheels?!

I wanna go to Europe this summer SO BAD! There is nothing like it. Test rider and pro mountain guide Jo Pauley at RideAbility » MTB Guiding & Coaching in Morzine » Welcome runs a business in Morzine, must go. Whistler is king of lift served areas, nothing i Europe touches it, so I have been told, but the trail systems and views and food and and and in the Alps cannot be touched. There are so many mountains over there with trails around each one, I have only ridden the Alps a couple times and it is mind bending. I cannot recommend a trip there enough.
    DT

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Speaking of trips to Europe... this looks like it doesn't suck too much. Sign me up

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    I was just looking at the Tour Mont Blanc video that Specialized did... Matt Hunter Tours Mont Blanc - YouTube
    That looks like MTB heaven.

This looks pretty damn fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Speaking of trips to Europe... this looks like it doesn't suck too much. Sign me up
    Nukeproof Mega: All Mountain Adventures
    Last edited by 6thElement; 02-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    I was just looking at the Tour Mont Blanc video that Specialized did featuring the 165mm of rear travel Enduro. Matt Hunter Tours Mont Blanc - YouTube

This made me think - didn't Turner once have a prototype of a bike with the same amount of travel? I think that bike is as relevant now as it ever was/ would have been, especially with this Super Enduro racing thing that everyone is talking about.

I'm hoping to do this ride next year. If nothing else I will take my Spot w/ 160mm Lyrik.

Enjoy the Vid if you have not already seen it.

Cheers
    Deano.
    Deano are you doing the passportes this year,tour of Mont Blanc is one ride i hope to do one day!Are you going with guides or planing your own trip?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Deano are you doing the passportes this year,tour of Mont Blanc is one ride i hope to do one day!Are you going with guides or planing your own trip?
    We where there last year (2012 rode the wet Sunday) and 2010, 2008, 2006, so I should be there again in 2014. The first three times we were based out of LesGets but last year we were in Chatel which opened up a lot more riding for us that we could just not get to based out of LesGets.

In Chatel we stayed at Mountain bike holidays, chalet accommodation in chatel, Portes du Soleil where the host ‘Al’ is a first class rider in his own right and liked us because unlike the usual clientele were happy to do some ‘peddling’. He showed us some sweet routes of his own on a couple of days out, but for the rest of the time we had a good idea where to go based on past PPSD knowledge.

Check my STRAVA – Heatmap for the riding.
    165mm of rear travel....dreaming on-capture.jpg

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Wow, that part of the world is incredible. You pay for the tooling for an RFX deano, and I will pay for a trip to ride around Mont Blanc! I gotta say though, those wheels look kinda small? I want over sized hoops on my trail bikes. But, since you are paying, dean ol buddy, do you want 26 or 275 wheels?!

I wanna go to Europe this summer SO BAD! There is nothing like it. Test rider and pro mountain guide Jo Pauley at RideAbility » MTB Guiding & Coaching in Morzine » Welcome runs a business in Morzine, must go. Whistler is king of lift served areas, nothing i Europe touches it, so I have been told, but the trail systems and views and food and and and in the Alps cannot be touched. There are so many mountains over there with trails around each one, I have only ridden the Alps a couple times and it is mind bending. I cannot recommend a trip there enough.
    DT
    DT – Nice response. That would be a fantastic ride, and you are welcome to join us next year on your Burner. On the RFX tooling offer, when/ if I ever come into a large sum of money, I will be on your door step in an instant to give you some cash for the tooling costs for this ‘other’ bike.
    26 or 27.5, well that indeed is the question of our time... maybe by next year we will know the answer?

One of my selfish reasons why I live in the UK instead of my native New Zealand, is UK’s easy access to this amazing Alpine riding (plus the wife is English). NZ is great, but not a patch on the Alps. That said I always have envious eyes when I see the riding in the great outdoors on USA and Canada. I’ve got a friend in Boulder which looks ideal – good microbreweries too.

Cheers
    Deano

Edit: Mr Pink - I'll let you know about the MtBlanc loop too if you're keen?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post

Good call. This is one of my favorite videos.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    One of my selfish reasons why I live in the UK instead of my native New Zealand, is UK’s easy access to this amazing Alpine riding (plus the wife is English). NZ is great, but not a patch on the Alps. That said I always have envious eyes when I see the riding in the great outdoors on USA and Canada. I’ve got a friend in Boulder which looks ideal – good microbreweries too.
    Interesting POV, being in the US I'm considering heading to NZ. But moving back to the UK to allow easier access to Alps riding also holds a big draw for me, having only ever snowboarded (badly) there.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Kiwi that Flew

165mm of rear travel....dreaming on

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Interesting POV, being in the US I'm considering heading to NZ. But moving back to the UK to allow easier access to Alps riding also holds a big draw for me, having only ever snowboarded (badly) there.
    Dont get me wrong - NZ is cool if you can get a good work life balance whereby you are not commuting to work in rushhour(s) traffic in Auckland. I would love to live in Nelson or Queenstown, but in my line of work - commercial architecture I would struggle to find a job. I would have to make a career change of sorts. But you've got me thinking now....ummm

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi 'DT' I met up with one of your pals (Richard Cunningham) last year, in Les Gets, we were out there doing the Passporte, we rode the Friday and then the wet Sunday,
    My riding buddy and I Ran 150's Revelations/Marzocchi's for the whole week, nailed all the fantastic terrain in and arround the Porte Du soleil, we stayed in Le Sporting Hotel, and had a fantastic week.
    We got a little bit wet on the Sunday but who cares.
    Get youself there DT, Richard was testing the electronic suspension system for Lapierre.
    you can nail everything on a spot, you don't need electronics.

Kiwi that Flew