Thread: 15 mm TA

tg
    mtbr member

15 mm TA

Can I put a 15 mm ta fork on this hub and does it really make a diff ? It's my 5 spot w/ a 10mm ta in the back. I'd have to sell the pushed float first so I can keep the wife. Is it worth the effort ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15 mm TA-cimg0739.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yes, you can. talk to Mike at Hadley and order the axle. Slide it in, and ride.

15mm is much better then QR. You aren't on a road bike, so why are you riding an axle standard that is only good for road bike riding? Get a 15mm and appreciate the difference.

that said, 20mm is still better.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What, keeping the wife??? I'm not sure, but doesn't Hadley make a 9mm Thru Axle for the front?

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    Yes, you can. talk to Mike at Hadley and order the axle. Slide it in, and ride.

15mm is much better then QR. You aren't on a road bike, so why are you riding an axle standard that is only good for road bike riding? Get a 15mm and appreciate the difference.

that said, 20mm is still better.
    do you have a email address for hadley? or phone number? i'm in the uk so email would be better.

cheers

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    You aren't on a road bike, so why are you riding an axle standard that is only good for road bike riding?
    Wow - 20+ yrs of dirt riding and my QR was no good - who knew?!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Personally, I wouldn't bother.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I would say it is worth it. When I switched to a 20mm Revelation on my Spot, I noticed a big difference. The fork tracked incredibly better through rock gardens and parts of the trail that were off camber.

Going with either a 15 or 20 mm thru axle up front is a great upgrade. Especially since you don't have to get a new hub. If you had to replace the hub I would say don't bother but since you don't my vote is to go for it! That's my .02

mtbr member
    Would you Push your new fork? If not, does that outweigh the benefits of the TA?
    Check out the "Cool Commercial" - maybe that will help you decide......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Wow - 20+ yrs of dirt riding and my QR was no good - who knew?!
    Lucky you. Or maybe you're an xc guy. All I know is that I've had 2 QR related incidents, including a remarkably unpleasant rear wheel one. No more QR if I can avoid it.

Thru axles are superior in every way. More secure, stiffer, and can be made damn light. You can't lose.
    Stuff.

Not smart enough to shift
    You don't need to sell the pushed Float. You can buy just the new lowers from fox. They come with new bushings and seals. I bet if you talked to Push they could get the lowers for you as well. I switched from QR to 15 and noticed a huge difference.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2008

15mm vs. Bolt On

I have a sweet Phil Wood front wheel w/ standard Drop outs. I currently run a Talas 36 but I would like to use the Phil wheel and maybe drop some weight in the front end. Can anybody compare the stiffness of a 20mm thru w/ a 32mm fork w/ bolt on axles. i.e. fun bolts. I wish Phil would mill a conversion 15mm thru since I'm pretty sure the axle is 19mm SS anyway. Thanks

mtbr member
    Noticed a big difference here. None of my mountain bikes will have a QR so help me god.

The only other situation I can think of for not having a TA is running low from building an MTB and eventually getting TA once the funds become available.

Also, you can convert the lowers to 15mm through FOX. I was going to do this but realized it's cheaper to get a new 15mm Fox fork from Ebay or in the MTBR classifieds. You have to remember the time to rebuild, cost of fluids, and 220 bucks plus shipping for the lowers, and you still need to get the decals if I remember correctly.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    15mm- shown quantitatively to not appreciably add stiffness, but a more secure method than QR skewers.

20mm- quantitatively increases stiffness + a more secure method + already a standard + also shown to be light when made for that purpose

tg
    mtbr member
    Hadley also has a 9 mm TA that looks just like the 10mm I have on the back wheel. Is it a good option? I could run it on my float .

Bite Me.
    Ted - I ran a DT RWS thru-bolt 9mm for awhile on the Sultan. Was it stiffer? I guess the test numbers say it was marginally - was it noticeable? Not really. I now have a 20mm TA on the Lenz and it adds some sittness to the front wheel in fast, rough terrain. I have the same fork on the Sultan with a QR and it's not a night and day difference, so maybe it's as much psychology as it is engineering. For typical Colorado XC/Trail riding on 32mm forks 140mm or less, I'm not convinced the bigger axles really add all that much compared to going to a bigger diameter stanchion like a Fox 36.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells