Supersonic Garfield

142+ hub in Turner Czar?

Has anyone tried mounting a 142+ hub in the Turner Czar? The cassette sits 2mm closer to the right seatstay. I have a roval wheelset atm and considering the Czar. It would be nice to not have to change the wheelset as well. Some 142 frames clear the 142+ hub well, some don't.

If any czar owners could take a picture from the rear of a normal hub/cassette installed, that would highly appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm running the 142+ Rovals on my Czar. All I had to do was sand about 2 mm off the XT cassette lockring. Nothing rubs except the lockring. Just enough clearance for the cog and chain, so once you modify the lockring, you're good to go.

These are the ONLY wheels I've run on the Czar, and they have been problem free since mid-May.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Supersonic Garfield

142+ hub in Turner Czar?

Thanks for the reply. Great to hear that it works. No issues with the depth/thickness of the installation groves in the lockring either?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Great to hear that it works. No issues with the depth/thickness of the installation groves in the lockring either?
    No problem. Still more than adequate thickness for engagement of removal tool, and the actual amount of threads on the lockring is not decreased at all. I'm a pretty darn strong 195 pound rider, and have been running this setup on the Czar since May, and the Sultan for well over a year.

Supersonic Garfield
    Fantastic. I no longer have any excuses for not getting this bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Can't believe I found this thread: local seller has new Control SL wheelset 142+ for a screaming price and I was hoping to use in my Czar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Can't believe I found this thread: local seller has new Control SL wheelset 142+ for a screaming price and I was hoping to use in my Czar.
    Still going strong!

mtbr member
    How much clearance is there between the chain at 10T and the dropout of the Czar for those using XX1?

I ask because my friends Bronson setup has only 1mm clearance and it eats the frame rear dropout from time to time.

I'm afraid it may happen to my future Czar,

TIA,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    How much clearance is there between the chain at 10T and the dropout of the Czar for those using XX1?

I ask because my friends Bronson setup has only 1mm clearance and it eats the frame rear dropout from time to time.

I'm afraid it may happen to my future Czar,

TIA,
    I'm running 10-speed XT, but with the 142+ rear hub, and clearance between the 11T and the dropout is not a lot. Very close. But neither the cog or chain rub the dropout, and DT mentioned that there is quite a bit of material there because, well, it's a Turner and meant to have the crap ridden out of it.

Maybe DT will chime in on this, but with very little clearance, I've had no problem with dropout wear, and I've got about eleventy-billion hours on my Czar (I know I should keep track, but I do engineering for a living, and refuse to get sucked into data recording and crunching with my hobbies).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm still on the fence about the 142+ ghetto frame fit. Local seller has brand new Control SL Carbon 142+ and he'd probably take $900. I can grind the lock ring down, no problem, but I'm deciding whether the price is worth it vs finding 142 non-plus set.