Thread: 12hrs of Tsali

old and busted
    Sep 2004

12hrs of Tsali

Trey (Asahi) and I entered with two other friends for a 4-man amateur team. We started off 30th out of 30 teams, but were able to fight our way up to 10th by the end of the event. Other than very sloppy/wet trail conditions, scattered rain, and a couple of mechanical mishaps, the race was a lot of fun. Trey lost the front ring on his single speed about half way through his first lap. After some running, one legged scootering, and badly blistered feet he still managed to finish. I definitely need to ride more before I go out and do this type of thing again. The course was abou 11 miles and covered a lot of varied terrain. My Spot is now fully broken in. On with the pics...

LeMans style start.

Chris (he drove down from Chicago for the event)

Trey

Me (making sure the team lap time average stayed low)

Alan

Not quite the caliber of Aquaholic's pics, but you get the idea.

mtbr member
    I'm doing an endurance race in August, and just went from a Burner to a Spot. I'm not sure if I should've waited til after the event - how did the spot do for you? I imagine most of the others were on hardtails or other light-weight rigs?

not so super...
    That looks about normal for a Tsali ride. I don't think that place ever dries out. We got rain both nights up in Cruso but the trails didn't look like that!
    Last edited by SSINGA; 05-22-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

Spot is fine for endurance races

D-Line, I did two 12 hr races and one 24hr race on my spot with Z1 up front last year and am doing a 12hr race solo in 2 weeks and a 24 hr with Bollox (who bought your Burner) in August. I think the Spot is great for this type of race - a tad heavy but the extra cush is worth the extra weight imo. A hard tail must beat you up something chronic. I am planning on getting a Revelation for use during the races and keeping the Z1 for the everyday trail riding. I should probably add that around these parts (Northern NJ) even race courses like 24 hours of Allamuchy are pretty technical - very rocky and rooty so the Spot is not overkill. It may be on some tracks though. If I were rich maybe I would get a Flux but that ain't going to happen.

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    The Spot did great for the race (I also recently moved from a Burner to the Spot). I built mine a little on the lighter side for my local trails and riding style (check the Spot set-up thread for the specifics). The Spot climbs like an SOB. I'm amazed at how it flies up stuff. Going down is a blast. It soaked up everything and it didn't feel nervous at all. I hit 23mph (fast for me cause I'm a wuss) going down some sections.

Lots of people on hard tails and single speeds, but there were plenty of squishy rigs too. I saw a few Burners, at least one other Spot, and 2-3 guys riding a Nitrous. I didn't have any chain/drive train issues what so ever. The mud was just caked on everything, but I had all the gears I needed. Other guys I rode with lost a lot of the middle range.

Buy the Spot ... you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5-spot works great for 24 hour

Finally...first excuse to post some bragging rights without having to start a new thread. My team did our first ever race and it happened to be a 24 hour race. We ended up getting 1st place in the Masters division and overall we were 3rd: http://www.thecoolestmtb.com Not bad for a bunch of old guys with kids. This was the hardest thing I have ever done. Tired, sore, and no sympathy from my daughter that wanted to play some softball right after the race. I was worried about the 5-spot being too heavy, but I agree that the extra suspension really pays off. You can build the 5-spot pretty light for this kind of race and then beef it up for shuttling some downhills.
    Attached Images Attached Images

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Mucky stuff, that looks like what I saw a couple weeks ago out there with mudpie, D-Rock, and LoneStar - without the added traffic!
    So it looks like Trey switched to his RX. Bummer about his SS, that thing looks niiiiiice. I guess it'll clean up though!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    The Titus 11 SS was definitely the "show bike" of the weekend. I can't tell you how many people stopped by our tent to drool over it. A few of us said he should have scrapped the Salsa front ring ... I guess the bike gods agreed, but too bad it was in the middle of his first lap.