mtbr member

08 RFX upgrade help

With all the recent threads of updated RFX's I've caught the bug my RFX is going back to air/air. I need a little guidance choosing the rear shock. I'll be keeping the VAN & DHX just in case.

For the fork I'm going Lyrik RC2DH solo air.

I'm undecided on the rear shock. The contenders are Monarch RT3 and the Monarch Plus RC3. I'm leaning towards the Monarch plus but, which tune should I get? Currently I can only find the mid tune high volume air canister shouldn't I be looking for the smaller air canister?

To verify the shock size 7.875x2.25 correct?

I live in Dubai so will need to mail order, anyone have a source with the smaller air canister?

I'm currently waiting on offset bushings and am on the fence about getting an angled headset. With the 1 Deg angle is there a gap between the headset and stem? How does the quality of the works components headset compare to a Chris King?

Is this the one people are getting?
    Works Components - 1 0 Degree EC34 - Traditional 1 1 8 Fitment

I'm currently running a Chris King rear hub with fun bolts is there a way to stiffen the rear with some type of QR? I recently had a rear tire flat, it was a pain breaking the torque to get the wheel off for repair on the trail. Should I suck it up or go back to a 9mm QR? any alternatives?

Been wanting 142x12 axle and Lg head tube for awhile in fact I almost pulled the trigger on a Burner decided to wait until I can get a test ride before I go 27.5. It would be a lot easier if it had more travel.

I think thats it, Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't answer all your questions but here goes:

As for the shock, I would be going for the RC3 Plus on the RFX. I think the MM tune would work best for the frame.

For the King Hubs, you can use a 10mm axle to stiffen things up like the DT Swiss Axle like this: http://www.universalcycles.com/image...dium/16375.jpg

But you would have to change the axle inside your King hubs since the screw threads for the fun bolts will interfere with the axle. You would need a Chris King 10mm Axle conversion kit:

http://www.bikebling.com/v/vspfiles/...g-PHB559-2.jpg

mtbr member
    For rear shock, also consider the Double Barrel Air. Agree with mikkosan on the 10mm DT Swiss Axle (that's what I'm using).

MTB B'dos
    I'd add the X-Fusion Vector AIR HLR, has high and low speed compression adjustments. The guys who got them for their Primes said they couldn't believe how good they are, would definitely be between this and the CC BD Air as top air these days.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    I'm set on one of the rock shox shocks more concerned on which air can to get. The stock RP23 blew through mid range travel and it had the larger air can. Do I need to worry about that with the HV air can on the rock shox?

Thanks for the tip on the axle guys; added to list

Gary, what you did to your RFX is one of the reasons I'm dumping the $$ into mine
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Regarding the ccdb air. I am planning to get one for my 12 spot. Any idea what exact tune should i get?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I fitted a works components -1 degree headset a few months ago when I updated my recently Turner refurbed '05 Six Pack. It replaced a faultless 8 year old King with griploc upgrade. So far it has been great, no noises, not required any adjustment, just faultless - but it hasn't seen much bad weather yet - only time will tell. It's not CK quality, but it's pretty good - probably more like Hope quality. There are no gaps between the headset & stem, if you look closely at the photos you can just make out the 'tapering' of the cups & the fact that the steerer sits to the rear of the top cup and forwards in the lower cup.
    I think replacement bearings were cheap enough on works components website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08 RFX upgrade help-2013-04-14-19.17.32.jpg  

08 RFX upgrade help-2013-04-14-19.21.42.jpg  

08 RFX upgrade help-2013-04-14-19.17.41.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Regarding the ccdb air. I am planning to get one for my 12 spot. Any idea what exact tune should i get?
    I have a CCDB air on my 12 spot. The settings I have are:
    HSC: 0.5 turns
    LSC: 5 clicks
    HSR: 0.75 turns
    LSR: 7-8 clicks
    I've also installed two of the small spacers in the air can, but have not ridden it yet to test.

One of the guys at suspension experts recommended:
    HSC: 0.5 turns
    LSC: 4-6 clicks
    HSR: 0.5 turns
    LSR: 10-12 clicks

Hope this helps, its a real game changer in regards to rear shocks.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jjkitt; 07-01-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @jjkitt- so there is no specific tune that you have to get? For example the monarch plus has to have Low volume,compression in order to be ideal on a spot. I can get any ccdb air for as long as the size is correct and just tune the knobs according to spec?

mtbr member
    @jjkitt- so there is no specific tune that you have to get? For example the monarch plus has to have Low volume,compression in order to be ideal on a spot. I can get any ccdb air for as long as the size is correct and just tune the knobs according to spec?
    That is correct, buy the stock CCDB air and tune it yourself. That is what makes it so great (and dangerous). You need a 190mmX50mm with 22mmX6mm mounting hardware.
    Cane Creek has web page called the "lounge" you can use as a reference to swap tunes. But the base tunes I gave you should work to get you started.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: 08 RFX upgrade help

RC200, do you mind measuring the stack height of the works headset? Been planning to get one but my current steer tube is short so I want to be sure before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

mtbr member
    +1 on the monarch plus. Mine is M/M on the 08 RFX and it is perfect in every way. Hardly ever bottoms out with the HV can and is a great pedaler. Open it up on the downs and it glues to the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Twopump- whats your ready to ride weight? I believe it was mentioned seomewhere that the most idealtune for a spot is LL,LOW VOLUME CAN. not sure if this is for dw link models only.

mtbr member
    Twopump- whats your ready to ride weight? I believe it was mentioned seomewhere that the most idealtune for a spot is LL,LOW VOLUME CAN. not sure if this is for dw link models only.
    Im 175 geared up. LL is for DW. TNT and Horst are better suited to M.
    The HV can on the rp23 that came stock on RFX was horrible. It got slightly better when I added a shim to ruduce the volume but still a crappy choice for the RFX. I also tried a VAN for a year but the Monarch Plus feels best. Trust me on this one

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Another vote for the Monarch Plus. Just replaced the RP23 on my 08 RFX with the Monarch and it was a vast improvement.

mtbr member
    Thanks Twopump I was wanting your input. Your upgrade thread and Flips got this whole thing started for me.

@Mikkosan the measurements off the works site:

Works Components - 1.0 Degree EC34 - 'Traditional' 1 1/8" Fitment.
    - Fits headtube internal diameter - 33.95mm - EC34
    - To suit standard 1 1/8" steerer tube forks. (28.6 - 30.015)
    - 41mm OD, 45 x 45 Degree AC sealed bearings.
    - Insertion debth: 13mm
    - Lower Cup Stack height: 11.5mm - Total upper stack height inc bearing cover: 16.5mm
    - Proudly machined in the UK from 7075 T6, Black Anodize finish,
    - Complete with headset top-cap and star-nut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer View Post
    Thanks Twopump I was wanting your input. Your upgrade thread and Flips got this whole thing started for me.
    I've ridden a lot of 6" bikes before and after I got the RFX and it's still the best climbing and descending 6" bike I've ever been on... Upgrading the components just made an already great bike, better...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I make the stack height of the Works headset 30mm compared with 32mm for the King

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rc200 View Post
    I make the stack height of the Works headset 30mm compared with 32mm for the King
    That's very good to hear. Thanks! Too bad it's currently out of stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    That's very good to hear. Thanks! Too bad it's currently out of stock.
    FYI: the headsets are now in stock; Just need to find a Monarch plus in 8.75"x2.25" and I'll be ready to start on my rebuild. I'm skipping the new paint as I have a raw and want to keep it that way.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Typo? You meant 7.875" x 2.25", right?

Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer View Post
    FYI: the headsets are now in stock; Just need to find a Monarch plus in 8.75"x2.25" and I'll be ready to start on my rebuild. I'm skipping the new paint as I have a raw and want to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Typo? You meant 7.875" x 2.25", right?
    Yes, I fat fingered that one I meant 7.875"x 2.25"