mtbr member
    Jan 2004

08' RFX hi or lo Volume air sleeve ?

Just completed an 08' RFX build. Did the driveway run and feel the shock may be eating up a little too much travel. I set the RP23 (hi volume sleeve) to 210lb. psi, slightly above my 200lb. body weight. Sag is about 18mm (Turner site rec's 20mm). Anyone had to run a lo volume sleeve ? Thanx

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm ~190lbs, got full travel on my 08 RFX way too soon with the high volume sleeve when at 30% sag. Switched to the low volume and the ride is now fantastic. Do a search. Quite a few others here switched as well.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

the refurbished one
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Anyone have a source for these (aside from Fox?) I googled but came up empty. At 250#, I find myself blowing through the midrange quite easily.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm much happier on the LV sleeve on my 08 RFX. I'm 190 pounds and ran 215 psi with the HV sleeve, and dropped to 190 psi with the LV sleeve. The LV offered more sag, equally plush overall (but better on the little stuff), and better bottoming protection. It's a winner for heavier riders.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Anyone have a source for these (aside from Fox?) I googled but came up empty. At 250#, I find myself blowing through the midrange quite easily.
    Why not directly from Fox ? PUSH sells them but you will pay the same. I called a few online retailers and they source from Fox as well.

illiterate or intoxicated
    I have a brand new low volume sleeve off an RP23. PM me if you are interested.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    I ordered the LV can, a replacement decal, and the seal kit from Fox - w/ shipping, total was $53.50. Bit cheaper than PUSH, then again, I think theirs includes seals already installed.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    I have a brand new low volume sleeve off an RP23. PM me if you are interested.
    THX. will do,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Took the RFX out for it's maiden voyage with the HV can for a baseline. 210 psi and it would bottom off a 2' drop. Installed the LV can, @ the same pressure, and did most the ride w/ a few mm's to spare before the end of shock travel I just wonder when the bike was spec'd what weight riders were employed ?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    every bike in the world is designed around a 160 - 185 lb rider. lucky me!
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    every bike in the world is designed around a 160 - 185 lb rider. lucky me!
    Not so lucky me.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Just wonder when the bike was spec'd what weight riders were employed ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DT
    There are a few on the new RFX that like the little can. That was the intention, most would like the plush big can, those harder riding or larger riders would drop to the little.
    Back in the Spot's 5.1 rocker days there were only LV cans, and a lot of riders complained that they never got full travel. DT made the 5.3 rockers to address that issue and by coincidence Fox also came out with the HV can (why Fox dropped the AVA can is beyond me). Anyway, the pendulum has swung the other way and now hardly any bike sports an LV can.

Chances are that more riders would switch from an LV to an HV than the other way around. We're a hard bunch to please, but you have to cater to the majority.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    We're a hard bunch to please, but you have to cater to the majority.
    I wouldn't say hard to please, just more discriminating. Two years ago when I got my first dualy, I didn't know squat about what setup to use or what I like, it was soft, my hardtail was hard and soft was good. Now, 2 yrs and a butt load of miles later, I know what I like and know what I want the rear to do

Besides, I was pretty happy with the Sultan from the start, until you and other posted all sorts of info about tweaking it and making it better - and as they say, better is the enemy of good.

I think final state of my Sultan will be exactly what I need - a 4. something travel bike with aggressive XC all-day capability and when-I-feel-like-it raceability. PUSH rockers, LV shock, 120mm Reba U-turn and 29lbs - can't be beat for the smiles-to-miles ratio!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin