mtbr member
    Jan 2005

08 Lyrik and 09 Lyrik, any difference?

I'm collecting my DWL Spot next week and the bike shop offered me an 08 Lyrik for $150 less than the 09 Lyrik.

Anyone knows the difference between the 08 and 09 Lyrik? The bike shop said there's no difference. Also, I can't find much info in the Web if they are different in any way.

And if I can save the $150 it will subsidise the Joplin

Can anyone confirm this? Many thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not too many differences at all that I am aware of. I have the 08 solo air and it is one of the best forks that I have owned.

2008 Lyrik solo air

160mm travel
    2321g (5.12lbs) Weight based on 265mm with Maxle 360)
    Solo Air Spring, pressure adjustable via single Schrader valve
    Mission Control damping
    Adjustable low speed compression, high speed compression (top-mounted), Flood Gate switch, internal Floodgate, and rebound (bottom-mounted)
    Magnesium lowers, Post Mount Disc brake compatible, and Maxle 360 20mm thru axle
    Forged, hollow AL 66 TV, anodized crown
    Aluminum steerer tube. 1 1/8in.
    35mm 7000 series aluminum straight wall upper tubes with travel gradients
    Diffusion Black
    Air pump included

2009 Lyrik solo air

• Travel - 160mm
    • Travel Adjust - All Travel
    • Target Weight* - 2313.3 g (5.1 lbs)
    • Spring - Solo Air
    • Spring Adjust - Air Pressure Via Single Schrader Air Valve
    • Damping - Mission Control
    • Damping Adjust - External Low Speed Compression, High Speed Compression, Rebound and Floodgate Switch, Internal Floodgate
    • Lowers - Magnesium, Post Disc Mount and 20mm only maxle 360
    • Crown - Forged, Hollow AL 6066 TV, Anodized
    • Steerer Tube - Butted Aluminum
    • Upper Tubes - 35mm 7000 Series Aluminum
    • Colour - Black
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

Ride and Smile
    Don't think there is any difference, but hope they fixed the seal problem. Seems like many (most?) of the Lyrics, Totems, ... leak oil from the top. Mine leaked, had a creaky crown, and a funky rebound problem. RS rebuilt it and replaced the crown. So that was nice of them.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    In my immediate riding circle there are 3 Totem Solo Air forks and 2 Lyriks. One of the Lyriks has been a bit of a hassle with bushing slop (Sram replaced lowers AND uppers), but it never leaked oil. The other four forks have been flawless.

I have about 4 or 5 Sram forks and I think none of them have ever leaked from the caps or the seals... I am always curious when I hear about this issue. I believe it, I just haven't seen it and wonder if it's truly a big problem or if it's teh interwebs.

I say go for it.

JMH

Ride and Smile
    My circle was 4 for 4 with leaky seals. I'd say get a fox. I just got a totem though cause between Totem and 66. But all the folks who ride them like them, they just have to fix them

mtbr member

Typically...

Typically, the only real differences other than color are seals and features. If the features are the same, color is ok, all you are looking at is they probably upgraded the seals if they felt there was a problem with them for 08. I'd go for the 08, it still has a warranty and if there IS a problem with it, sometimes you get the newest year version. This happened to us, we had a Lyrik Solo Air that the bushings went (twice), and so we replaced it for the customer with a brand new 2-step. Called Rockshox a few months later, and they came through with a brand new 09 2-step. Very nice surprise.

banned
    2 step is back for 09, or was this to make a value-equal replacement for the customer?

mtbr member

changed frames

Changed frames and wanted an adjustable travel fork.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    2 step is back for 09, or was this to make a value-equal replacement for the customer?
    Anyone knows if you can switch the internals of a solo air to make it a 2-step?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Anyone knows if you can switch the internals of a solo air to make it a 2-step?
    sram website has the parts catalog and you can go through the list see whats needed and then try and track down the parts. Save a lot of time buying a entire fork.

Paper or plastic?
    Thanks. Looks like they have a 2-step kit. I'll give a buzz to the LBS to find out the details.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Thanks. Looks like they have a 2-step kit. I'll give a buzz to the LBS to find out the details.
    doh! sorry, didn't read all the way down the list

11.4015.272.000 Lyrik 2-Step Air Spring System (complete)

destination unknown
    May 2008
    FWIW, I really like the idea of a solo air lyrik with a 15mm travel reducer on the new spot. That would put the A/C at a height that really needs no adjusting for climbs, decents, etc. The HA would probably be just about perfect too.

fried stuff with cheese
    I started with an 08 Lyrik coil. Never used it as a coil (this fork..had an older Lyrik coil I did use) and pulled the guts and turned into a 2-Step. The 2-Step worked for a while then died. At first it was really cool because when I lowered it I got it to set at 145mm...just perfect. However, over time the it went back to just staying at 160 with a loud clunking sound inside it. Got all the parts to make it a solo air. RS went as far as to send me new uppers because of their fear that the stanchions might have been marred by the coil. It's all built up now but I haven't got it on the bike yet. It's spaced out to be set at 150mm max travel. Used a firm skate board bushing. Can't wait to get it on the RFX and see what it's like....assuming our snow ever goes away.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

speculation: 2010 Lyrik should be all-new

Thanks for the advise.

Just my speculation here.

The SID, Reba and Revelation has been completely revamped and the all-new Boxxer range has also just been released.

I strongly believe that the Lyrik, Pike and Totem will be next. The new them should be around the corner.

The Lyrik is probably gonna get a Maxle Lite, Power Bulge on the legs (or something) like the SID, Reba and Revelation, lighter steerer tube and so on. Oh, and new graphics of course. Maybe it'll even get some cool "tattoos" embedded on the stanchions just like the 2010 Boxxers.

I wonder how long is the wait....

Ride and Smile
    A new Lyric is in the works. Word is its gonna push more oil than the current one and its gonna be 170mm. Sounds nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    A new Lyric is in the works. Word is its gonna push more oil than the current one and its gonna be 170mm. Sounds nice!

ETA? Where did you get this info?
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

170mm Lyrik, really?

If the Lyrik is growing to 170mm that could mean (or most likely) the Pike is gonna go up to 150mm at least, if not 160mm.

This should be interesting. And the Totem will be in the 180mm to 190mm range.

Man, I wish someone can confirm the changes RS going to make for these three forks. I'm sure most of us here owns at least one of these three forks and also dying to give the new ones a try.

Ride and Smile
    I would have to guess at ETA, and I would say the 2010 release which could mean end of summer. I doubt the Lyric change will have any effect on the pike or totem.