mtbr member
    Mar 2008

08 5 spot, new to me build

Having owned this bike for all of about 5 hours I can already tell I am 2" taller, better looking and can last longer in the sack....

The build up:

Specs:

08 TNT 5.5 spot RP 23 (med)
    09 RS Rev 426 U-turn
    DT 240s F/R on 4.2D F/R
    LX Crank
    XT F Der.
    X9 R Der.
    X9 Trigger shift
    SRAM Cassette/ Chain
    Cane Creek S-3 HS
    Easton Vice Stem/ Post
    Easton EA70 bar
    Hayes Stroker Trail 6" F/R (will get UGI and go 7" soon)
    2.35 DTC Nevegals
    ODI Ruffian
    WTB Lazer V pro saddle

Hope to have it finished on tuesday! Right now I have Turner stoke, I want to be and shred the gnarcore, drink the koolaid and be a Turner Homer...

Can I join the club?

I Cant wait to ride this bike!

Clint

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

3 weeks to Moab before we break that thing in!

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Although I'm not sure about the rear brake line routing. Won't it catch on the seatclamp this way?

bicycle rider
    Love mine.

Morgan

slow up hill
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Nice bike. Although I'm not sure about the rear brake line routing. Won't it catch on the seatclamp this way?
    I had to flip my hope clamp around to prevent that from happening on my sultan.

Any other suggestions ... because although it doesn't get caught .. i get noise from the cables smacking against the clamp when the suspension compresses.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster
    Any other suggestions ... because although it doesn't get caught .. i get noise from the cables smacking against the clamp when the suspension compresses.
    Ride faster.

My friend Grundy and I both have the same routing. I don't remember much cable noise. Been running it like this for two years.

I can tell you that you never want your rear cable housing to exit from inside the taco to the left, then cross over to the right seat stay linkage. I had it like that, and every now and then I'd land some air and hear this GODAWFUL noise. Thought my bike was ****ed. It was the knobs grabbing the housing at full stuff. Was funny when I figured it out.

Morgan

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster
    I had to flip my hope clamp around to prevent that from happening on my sultan.
    How's that Sultan treatin' you these days?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhardeman

3 weeks to Moab before we break that thing in!

ah man. I will bearly have enough time to get the tires dirty before we leave!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not sure on cable routine either. I figured a straighter shot to the rear would cause binding under compression. That is why I have it at an easier bend. Suppose I can move the seatpost clamp to the other side like previously mentioned.

Any other suggestions on cable routing?

Thanks,

Clint

slow up hill
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Ride faster.

My friend Grundy and I both have the same routing. I don't remember much cable noise. Been running it like this for two years.
    Morgan
    Maybe its because i have no taco and my seat tube is much shorter (medium sultan). I'll try to go faster to see if that help

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    How's that Sultan treatin' you these days?
    Still going strong, definitely enjoying it. We've had a ridiculously wet winter, and i had some serious early spring allergies ... I've gotten to ride some, but its lubed up and ready to rock. I'll be blowing off work tomorrow to spend the day riding before a week in the keys. When i get back its serious biking season.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtgypsy
    Any other suggestions on cable routing?
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/08tech.html#Routing

Morgan

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This sounds soooooo familiar!! I just completed an 08 build, my first all suspension bike all XT drive train mavic crossmax wheel set and an old Fox talus shock. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing out there I have drank the kool aid!!! I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!

Seriously, I spent 13 years on an old beater hard tail, then a six year hiatus after having 2 beautiful little girls, I'm finally back in the saddle, riding my dream bike and lovin' every minute I'm sure you will too

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the link on the cable routing morgan!

thanks apatron I too think I will enjoy it. your story sounds familiar only I had 2 boys and a 4 year break!

clint