mtbr member
    Apr 2004

07 bikes....DHR and RFX

picked up my pike tonight. just waiting for my x9 shifter for the rfx because ride-this screwed up and only sent 1. anywho, i am in love.

and my bike shed is pretty schweet too...

8-)

not so super...
    Forget about the shed - nice bikes . FWIW...you 'll probably want more fork than the Pike for the RFX even if you just "trail ride" with it.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i don't ever see needing more than the pike for what i'm using the RFX for. 140mm is more than enough travel for it's intended use (XC and trailriding). anything that requires more beef and travel than the pike provides is a job better suited for the DHR.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    holy full time steep head angle batman!

as long as yer happy nf, nuthin else matters. nice his n hers oreos ya got there. the shed is sweet too. i was thinkin on the same lines before i turned 1/3 of our basement into a semi full on shop.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the HA on the pike really isn't that steep, must just look that way in the pics. you can compare the HAs of both bikes from the front/angle pic. as a reference, the HA on the dhr is about 65-66 degrees, so the RFX looks to be about 68ish.

mtbr member
    my guess is that it's a little steeper than 68 but not quite 69. I also found that for trailriding, dropping the fork down to around 140mm offered better manouverability in the chop, not to mention going uphill.

sweet looking rigs!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Forget about the shed - nice bikes ..
    I agree.......you see that '02 Stinky with the Super T in the background?!?! Prrrr......

EBX

a '06 rfx with a 535mm a2c fork offers a 68 deg h/a accordin to the turner spec sheet. i didnt have time to look up the a2c on the pike but my guess is its somewhat lower. count me in for a 69 deg h/a if not more. sorry if this got posted before but i got called to action in the midst of writin this.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    is the geometry for an 03 rfx the same as an 06? i would bet that older RFXs were designed around a shorter a2c height fork, therefore a taller a2c fork (such as a pike) will slacken it a tad.

also, dont forget the rear wheel is elevated about 1.5" off the ground due to the bike rack it sits in. that will make it appear steeper. besides, east coast tech riding = steeper the better.
    Last edited by DHRFX Joe; 01-10-2007 at 11:03 AM.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by norco-freerider
    i don't ever see needing more than the pike for what i'm using the RFX for. 140mm is more than enough travel for it's intended use (XC and trailriding). anything that requires more beef and travel than the pike provides is a job better suited for the DHR.
    Ummmmmmmm....yea right. That's why you have an Avy DHS rear shock on it too. right

Even the 02 RFX rides nicely with the height of, well let's say a 66SL.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    a '06 rfx with a 535mm a2c fork offers a 68 deg h/a accordin to the turner spec sheet. i didnt have time to look up the a2c on the pike but my guess is its somewhat lower. count me in for a 69 deg h/a if not more. sorry if this got posted before but i got called to action in the midst of writin this.
    CC - you missed the square seat mast - not a 06 but a 02 or earlier.
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    ... besides, east coast tech riding = steeper the better.
    Really? I'm running my 66sl at ~160mm but I'll drop it down and see how I like it.

I like the slacker HTA for the rollers...my favorite kind of trail candy. But I agree the trails here are generally quite tight and manuverablility is a plus...but the chop makes stability an equal priority.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

doh!

CC - you missed the square seat mast - not a 06 but a 02 or earlier.
    yer right pal. a '02 it is. (no such animal as a '03 rfx) so lets re work these numbers then shall we?

'02 h/a w/ 6" rockers = 68 deg
    reccomended a2c = 539 - 552mm
    b/bkt = 14.1"

damned if i can find a2c on a pike.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ummmmmmmm....yea right. That's why you have an Avy DHS rear shock on it too. right

ahhh yes, the elusive avy comment. i think i missed the memo about avy's only being for big huck and aggressive riding.

when i go home i will measure the HA and put all this bickering to rest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    '02 h/a w/ 6" rockers = 68 deg
    there's your problem. it has the 5" plates.

while you rework the numbers i'll go ride my bike....

[QUOTE=norco-freerider]
    '02 h/a w/ 6" rockers = 68 deg[\QUOTE]

there's your problem. it has the 5" plates.
    geeze! you guys are relentless! how am i gonna look like a tough guy if ya keep pointin out my mistakes? heres how a set of "a" rockers look then.
    h/a = 67.5
    a2c = 495 w/ '05 amsl
    b/bkt = 13.25" w/ 2.35 maxxis min-yuns

now that ya devulge the 5" rockers, the issue goes away. buy that pike! there wasnt much chance spyin that little tidbit of info with those camera angles.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    ...damned if i can find a2c on a pike.
    I can't believe I'm telling you to check the FAQ
    Pike = 517mm

Am I the only one who can't see Norco's pix?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

faq? faq's are for girls, just like directions. just cuz i point them out to others and contribute to them doesnt mean i need to use em. im a REAL man. faq you zilla breath! makin me look bad..... again. i think im down to my last thread of self respect.
    No, I'm NOT back!

not so super...
    ahhh yes, the elusive avy comment. i think i missed the memo about avy's only being for big huck and aggressive riding.

when i go home i will measure the HA and put all this bickering to rest.
    Shhhhh....just do't tell FoShizzle - I think that is why he bought the Avy (although he did get the less DH/FR Chubbie version vs the DHS)

Just yankin your chain NF....belly up to the bar and grab a mug of kool-aid (get 2 since you showed up with 2 sweet rigs) and enjoy.

Ride pics are required next - see Zilla's Al Gore post for the expected format
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shhhhh....just do't tell FoShizzle - I think that is why he bought the Avy (although he did get the less DH/FR Chubbie version vs the DHS)

Just yankin your chain NF....belly up to the bar and grab a mug of kool-aid (get 2 since you showed up with 2 sweet rigs) and enjoy.

Ride pics are required next - see Zilla's Al Gore post for the expected format

Members who have read this thread: 0