COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

07 5 Spot w/ Push rockers & Pushed RP3 set up questions

I was out for my first trail ride with the used 5 Spot I bought during the off season. It has Push rockers and I had the RP3 low volume shock Pushed ( 175 lb rider weight and plush). I had 175 psi in the shock and had what I thought was the correct sag (15mm maybe 16mm showing on the o-ring).

While riding on the lowest (open) setting on the RP3 I thought it could be or should be plusher. In setting 2, I could really feel the pro-pedal and setting 3 was even a firmer pedal platform.

I trust what Push did was the correct for me, because I was pretty thorough with my decription of what I wanted. What I'm wondering is if I need to lighten up the pressure and increase my sag a bit.

I read on the Turner site in the 5 1/2 Spot FAQ, that there should be 17mm of sag. I'm not sure if that is what I should use for my current set up? To get 17mm of sag with my current set up I had 165 psi and that was down 10 psi from what I believe I had in there to start. I believe that's a substantial drop with a low volume sleeve, but I have had a chance to get it out to ride yet.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be helpful. Thanks
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Was the shock PUSHed with them knowing your Spot was gonna have the PUSH rockers? You may not personally know this but it could mean a difference in setup, one way or the other.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Was the shock PUSHed with them knowing your Spot was gonna have the PUSH rockers? You may not personally know this but it could mean a difference in setup, one way or the other.
    Yes they knew all along. When I printed out the sales order I even hand wrote it in because I didn't see it on the form.

Here is a copy and paste of my online order receipt emailed to me from Push.

0-92] FOX Float RP2/RP3 (1)

name: Jeff

weight: 175

spring_rate: 175

frame_make: Turner

frame_model: 5 Spot with Pushed rockers

frame_year: 2007

style: Plush

rider_notes: This shock was already Pushed for another weight (185) rider back in 07. I had emailed to Matt H. and he said it can be re-tuned for me and I would see a great improvement from the new tuning technology since 07. I ride aggressive trail. I would like good pedal platform when the pro-pedal lever is adjusted, but keep in mind I'm not a strong pedal masher, I'm more stay seated/spin and very rarely get out of the saddle to pedal. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to bob up and down either,but plushness is number one for me.
    Last edited by spacoli; 03-22-2010 at 02:53 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member

Hvx

Why you don't have the high volume can? I think it will serve you better

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Why you don't have the high volume can? I think it will serve you better
    I asked Push that question before I sent the shock in. They said "We prefer the low (standard) volume sleeve for the 5 spot with the PUSH rockers". So that's why I have the low volume can.

BBW
    mtbr member
    well.... I guess you have to send it back. It has happened before tha people have to send it a second time untill they get it "right" for you....
    On a related note: Are you using full travel? not?

mtbr member

Break In?

well.... I guess you have to send it back. It has happened before tha people have to send it a second time untill they get it "right" for you....
    Or.....we could at least get through the break-in period.

Spacoli, based on the fact that this was your first trail ride on the shock I would say that it needs a little more time to fully break-in. We recommend 4-6 hours of off-road riding on a fresh build to ensure that everything settles and the surfaces wear in. There's a significant amount of change in the shock/fork that happens during this period. After that we can start helping you better with your setup. We recommend 16-17mm of sag in that application.

Anyway, get a couple more rides in and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Darren
    dm@pushindustries.com
    (970) 278-1110

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND

Spacoli, based on the fact that this was your first trail ride on the shock I would say that it needs a little more time to fully break-in. We recommend 4-6 hours of off-road riding on a fresh build to ensure that everything settles and the surfaces wear in. There's a significant amount of change in the shock/fork that happens during this period. After that we can start helping you better with your setup. We recommend 16-17mm of sag in that application.

Anyway, get a couple more rides in and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Darren
    dm@pushindustries.com
    (970) 278-1110
    There you go sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND

Darren
    dm@pushindustries.com
    (970) 278-1110
    Thanks Darren, sounds good. I'm hoping the lower pressure with the 17mm of sag, along with the break in will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by BBW

It was not a very aggressive trail ride, so I only used 4.5 inches, almost exactly what I used on my fork.