mtbr member
    Jun 2005

06 Z1FR Light ETA - Too much for my spot?

Hi All,

I have the chance of getting some 06 Z1 FR Light ETA (150mm) really cheap and was wondering if they would be too much for my 5spot to take?

I have a set of Pikes on at the moment and to be honest they have been quite disappointing. I'm getting a lot of spiking through the bars and just when you dont need it the fork feels like it's locked out. I could send them away to be serviced but by the time you add it all up it's nearly half as much as I can get the Z1's for.

The Pikes have an A-C of 517mm and the Z1's 538mm. I've read that a 20mm height difference on the front end means a 1 degree change in the head angle, is this right?

Also, to offset the higher height of the Z1's I could run them with slightly more sag than the pikes. I get about 20mm of sag at the moment.

I plan on making a 5pack soon anyway as I have damaged my spot front end and the white forks would look sh1t hot on a white pack.

So, back to my original question, Z1's, too much or not?

Cheers.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

PSI
    I want that one

too much

sounds like too much... see if you can get your hands on a marz AM1 or AM SL the 130-150 version. that way youll have, a. a marz (which is the best forks IMO) and, b. a 130mm for overall and a 150mm for the fun stuff. Pretty good prices on the 05' now too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    sounds like too much... see if you can get your hands on a marz AM1 or AM SL the 130-150 version. that way youll have, a. a marz (which is the best forks IMO) and, b. a 130mm for overall and a 150mm for the fun stuff. Pretty good prices on the 05' now too.
    Thanks PSI but I've only got 20mm bolt thru hubs and I dont want to swap to QR really. That would be a step back for me.

I've thought of doing a frankenfork but the price I'm getting these 06 for is just too good. I might be able to get the 06 Z1 SL at a good price too and the choice of 130mm - 150mm could be about right.

The only thing there is the doppio air system. I've heard really bad reports about crappy feeling forks. I'd prefer a coil fork.

Dammit, why dont zochi do the AM range in 20mm bolt thru?
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

how cheap??

Any more where that's coming from? Hook a brotha up.

PM me if you get a chance.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    Hi All,

I have the chance of getting some 06 Z1 FR Light ETA (150mm) really cheap and was wondering if they would be too much for my 5spot to take?

I have a set of Pikes on at the moment and to be honest they have been quite disappointing. I'm getting a lot of spiking through the bars and just when you dont need it the fork feels like it's locked out. I could send them away to be serviced but by the time you add it all up it's nearly half as much as I can get the Z1's for.

The Pikes have an A-C of 517mm and the Z1's 538mm. I've read that a 20mm height difference on the front end means a 1 degree change in the head angle, is this right?

Also, to offset the higher height of the Z1's I could run them with slightly more sag than the pikes. I get about 20mm of sag at the moment.

I plan on making a 5pack soon anyway as I have damaged my spot front end and the white forks would look sh1t hot on a white pack.

Cheers.

PSI
    I want that one

Just make sure youre getting "real" travel adjust

Thanks PSI but I've only got 20mm bolt thru hubs and I dont want to swap to QR really. That would be a step back for me.

I've thought of doing a frankenfork but the price I'm getting these 06 for is just too good. I might be able to get the 06 Z1 SL at a good price too and the choice of 130mm - 150mm could be about right.

The only thing there is the doppio air system. I've heard really bad reports about crappy feeling forks. I'd prefer a coil fork.

Dammit, why dont zochi do the AM range in 20mm bolt thru?
    and not a lock-down, ECC thing like on my 04' Z1 SL -- if you cant go with 130.

I have 130 on my spot, do lots of drops and vertical stuff and love it - the geo is just right.

No, that's not phonetic
    I personally think it would be way too much fork for the bike. I have one on my 6-Pack (OK, a FR1 with the TAS cartridge- same thing) and a Pike on my 5-Spot, and don't think an extra inch of height would be much fun on the Spot. The amount of travel you get for a given A-C is less on the Zoke than the Pike (about a half inch), weight is also way more on the Zoke than the Pike (depends on which Pike).

Is your Pike new? get it warrantied or go in there yourself and set the oil heights correctly. It may be over or underfilled and is cavitating or has hydraulic lock. Give it every chance to impress you before giving up. The Pike is a great fork for the Spot when it is working correctly. Both my Pikes have been plush as hell, but I rode CrashTheDog's recently and it did not feel that nice, so I know they can vary.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I ran a Z150 on my RFX w/ 5" rockers quite a bit this year- creating about the same geometry you'd get with a 150mm Z1 on the 'spot. I quite liked the geometry for anything downhill- the low BB and slack angles are awesome for carving turns. Climbing was a lot more work though- and running more sag won't do you any good when you are climbing.

The other consideration is whether your spot will self-destruct with that much leverage on the head tube. One good crash might be enough.

what happened to your spot front? what size is it?

Roy
    mtbr member
    You could get the Z1 and then put in the 130/150 travel adjust cartridge like Ts did with his.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I personally think it would be way too much fork for the bike. I have one on my 6-Pack (OK, a FR1 with the TAS cartridge- same thing) and a Pike on my 5-Spot, and don't think an extra inch of height would be much fun on the Spot. The amount of travel you get for a given A-C is less on the Zoke than the Pike (about a half inch), weight is also way more on the Zoke than the Pike (depends on which Pike).

Is your Pike new? get it warrantied or go in there yourself and set the oil heights correctly. It may be over or underfilled and is cavitating or has hydraulic lock. Give it every chance to impress you before giving up. The Pike is a great fork for the Spot when it is working correctly. Both my Pikes have been plush as hell, but I rode CrashTheDog's recently and it did not feel that nice, so I know they can vary.
    Thanks everyone,

I thought that it might be too much really but the price is really good. I might have a look at another zocchi fork but they dont really have a lightweight 20mm bolt thru fork.

I could get some 06 Pike cheap too but these have put me off a bit.I like the look of the air u-turn but do they have that positive-negative air chamber or is it like fox with just one air valve?

Most of the time these are ok but as soon as it gets really bumpy and fast the fork just gives up and it vibrates throught the bars so bad that I cant see. I have to slow down and it is really affecting my confidence. Not only that but there is a knocking when I brake and I can see the forks bending. I've been told that the bushings need replacing. I could have them serviced and tuned, I've heard PUSH are releasing a shimmed rebound upgrade but by the time I've had all that done I could have bought a new set of Pikes.

Oh I dunno. I'll keep these for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I personally think it would be way too much fork for the bike. I have one on my 6-Pack (OK, a FR1 with the TAS cartridge- same thing) and a Pike on my 5-Spot, and don't think an extra inch of height would be much fun on the Spot...
    ....ummmm, I thought that we had resolved (with Brian P.'s input) that the Z1 Light ETA was going to include TAS (130-150mm)....how is the 130mm setting any different from what a bunch of us are running on our spots? (and loving it I might add)

Per Drumstix on SAID THREAD :

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    I plucked this info off of bti's web site,

Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA/TAS 2006 Fork
    RC2 cartridge: externally adjustable rebound and compression damping
    One side air / one side coil spring system with external air preload
    ETA: Extension Control Cartridge with 30mm 'lockdown' travel
    TAS: Travel Adjust System between 130-150mm with external knob
    1-1/8" aluminum (Alloy-FR) pre-pressed steerer tube with 32mm alloy, black anodized stanchions
    1 piece forged magnesium, Monolite-FR lower legs: disc brake only
    Cyrofit M-design, boltless FR crown accepts Marzocchi integrated fender (2.7" tire OK): Made in Italy

No, that's not phonetic
    Like I said, you get less travel and a lot more weight for a given A-C. What are you gaining by going with the Zoke when you are "not supposed" to even run it in the longer travel setting?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.