mtbr member

'06 Marzocchi Z1 Light

I just finished mounting up the '06 Z1 Light on my Pack and thought you guys might enjoy some pics. Weight came in at 5.66 lbs, on a Digital Feedback scale, with an uncut steer tube and the thru-axel installed. Squeak mentioned that the few he and Larry had weighed came in at 5.9 lbs. I'd better crack it open and make sure it's got all the oil. I think the white on white looks sharp. The 3rd photo shows the TAS knob (black) and the external rebound adjustment (red). Time to go break it in.

Oh ya, quick question for those of you currently running TAS. The instruction manual says, "Before using the TAS cartridge adjustment, you will have to completely deflate the positive air chamber... and then re-establish the correct working pressure." You guys aren't doing this each time you adjust your travel are you?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    WOW! I am speechless! That is very smart looking. Very nice indeed. Crash, would you mind verifying the A-C in 130mm mode? Many thanks.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, I don't deflate it to change the travel.

Two ways to do it;

Lean forward and put the weight of your upper body on the handlebar, this should compress the fork about an inch, then the TAS knob will turn freely.

Much easier is to; turn the bike upside down, then push down on the fork about an inch again, and the TAS adjuster knob will move freely. This is the method I usually use.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bodhisattva
    Crash, your fork weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces on Larry's scale which is roughly the same as 5.7 lbs.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Team Sanchez
    Absolutely beautiful. Let's get that thing out on the barrels and break it in!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Crash, your fork weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces on Larry's scale which is roughly the same as 5.7 lbs.
    For whatever reason I was thinking you had said 5.9... tenths not ounces. BTW, after Larry mentioned you spent some private time with my fork I skipped dusting for finger prints and simply disinfected it right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Crash, would you mind verifying the A-C in 130mm mode?
    The best I could come up with with my trusty tape measure is 518 mm (20-3/8"). Sound right?

No, that's not phonetic
    Holy crap. That white on white looks freaking killer. I love it.

When I do my TAS, I stand facing the front of the bike, with the front wheel on my left (so my left hip is near the front brake caliper), I squeeze the front brake lever with my left hand and pull down on the bars slightly, and with my right hand I spin the TAS knob. It helps to compress the fork gently as you lower it so the threads don't have to pull down and fight the spring. Locking the front wheel via the brake and applying slight downward pressure to the bars is all you need to do to spin the TAS without worry.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice man. Have you owned one of the HCSV Z1's, how does the damping compare?

mtbr member
    I've spent some time on the HCSV dampened Z1's the most recent being tscheezy's '05 Z1 equipped 6 Pack, which was uber-plush and one of the main reason I chose the '06 Z1 over the 36Vanilla. After I get the fork dailed-in and change the oil a couple of times I'll post a write-up and review. One thing I can tell you is that the external compression adjustment does have a noticable effect throughout its range.

mtbr member
    CTD, thanks for the measurement.

Anyone know if it will be available in black? As great as it looks on your bike, it would look nearly as bad as tapioca earwax on mine...

Roy
    mtbr member
    That white on white looks hot. Most excellent ride you have there.

Lay off the Levers
    Man is that ever sharp!
    Sweet hook up dawg. It looks like the Frankenfork has finally gone production. Is it available in black and gold? Awww nevermind!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

not so super...
    After seeing that I want to pull the lowers off my FF and get them re-powder coated in White.

As the others have said - use the FoShizzle method of TAS adjustment - Push down on the fork and turn the knob.

I normally set my air pressure (currently using approx 25psi) in the 6" setting and then adjust it down to 5".

Knomer
    I'm speechless.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    I Think i'm going to put this fork on my future turner.
    ** RIDE THE FIRE **