Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    06 Flux - Stock RP3 or Push?

    Hola guys,

    Santa has a Flux frame 2006 ano orange for me (it's hidding from my daughter in the closet).

    1. How many of you ride the Flux with the RP3 stock?

    2. Is it worth the upgrade, did you notice a big jump in performance?

    3. I have a push rp3 on my spot but the leverage ration is 2.5:1 I think.... The flux is 2:1?, so would the push mod do much for me?

    Obviously they have them for $250 and I need to prioritize where the money goes - toward custom wheels and ck headset or the push mod........

    The problem is that I can always push my shock for ~$150 and I do not think I will get more that $100 for my shock on e-bay if I get a new one from push for two fiddy.

    What do you think?
    Last edited by Zion Rasta; 11-23-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  2. #2
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Hola guys,

    Santa has a Flux frame 2006 ano orange for me (it's hidding from my daughter in the closet).

    1. How many of you ride the Flux with the RP3 stock?

    2. Is it worth the upgrade, did you notice a big jump in performance?

    3. I have a push rp3 on my spot but the leverage ration is 2.5:1 I think.... The flux is 2:1, so would the push mod do much for me?

    Obviously they have them for $250 and I need to prioritize where the money goes - toward custom wheels and ck headset or the push mod........

    The problem is that I can always push my shock for ~$150 and I do not think I will get more that $100 for my shock on e-bay if I get a new one from push for two fiddy.

    What do you think?
    The RP3 on my Flux is stock. The average leverage ratio on the Flux is ~2.67:1. The Flux uses a 1.5" stroke shock to get 4 inches of travel. I think the stock RP3 works really well in its intended use on the Flux. Getting the fine tuning that a PUSH'ed RP3 would give you would be gravy, but certainly not necessary. When I recover from the latest bike build (more to come on that soon), I will probably get a PUSH'ed RP23 for the 5 Spot first, and leave the Flux alone.

    Enjoy the new ride. Having a Spot and a Flux is a little decadent, but they are different enough to warrant having both.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Thanks for the reply

    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    The RP3 on my Flux is stock. The average leverage ratio on the Flux is ~2.67:1. The Flux uses a 1.5" stroke shock to get 4 inches of travel. I think the stock RP3 works really well in its intended use on the Flux. Getting the fine tuning that a PUSH'ed RP3 would give you would be gravy, but certainly not necessary. When I recover from the latest bike build (more to come on that soon), I will probably get a PUSH'ed RP23 for the 5 Spot first, and leave the Flux alone.

    Enjoy the new ride. Having a Spot and a Flux is a little decadent, but they are different enough to warrant having both.

    Thank you for the feed back. I guess I will eventually get the push rockers and a Pike and I will probably go coil on the spot. Right now I use the spot for xc which is ok.

    No, honestly, I just "needed" another Turner..........
    Sit and spin my ass...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoPumpChump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    188

    Stock RP3

    I too have a 5-spot and flux. the flux is running a stock rp3. the spot is running dhx coil with push factory race system. I can honestly say that the flux is running smoother/plusher than the spot right now. credit push for working with me to remedy the dhx situation, but the point is that the flux works very well with stock rp3.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Thanks for the reply - that was helpful

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump
    I too have a 5-spot and flux. the flux is running a stock rp3. the spot is running dhx coil with push factory race system. I can honestly say that the flux is running smoother/plusher than the spot right now. credit push for working with me to remedy the dhx situation, but the point is that the flux works very well with stock rp3.
    First thank you for the feedback. I almost dropped $250 on the shock (pushed rp3 blowout).
    I have been critizied by by buddies for "going backwards" relative to travel.

    Do you feel that the two bikes are different enough to justify having both??
    Sit and spin my ass...

  6. #6
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Do you feel that the two bikes are different enough to justify having both??
    Oh yeah. That extra inch of travel and more relaxed geometry allows you to be noticeably more aggressive on descents on the Spot. The other side of the coin is that the geometry of the Flux makes it great in the tighter stuff.

  7. #7
    involuntary dismounter
    Reputation: dHarriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,491
    i'm on a flux with stock rp3 - love it. will probably get it push'ed eventually...when ugi strikes and money permits...but the shock is performing great...so right now...i don't see the need! so i say...stick with the stock rp3 and save some dough!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!


    friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZ mtber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    68
    I had the RP23 on my Flux, and it really performed well. I left the pro pedal off most the time. I just got one of the close out RP3's from push after a lengthy discussion with them. (I was having a hard time deciding between getting the RP23 pushed and just buying the RP3 already tuned). I am really happy with the pushed RP3, it keeps the tire stuck to the ground better than the RP23, especially at speed over rocks and g-outs, but the RP23 is slightly more plush with the propedal all the ways off. In conclusion, the pushed RP3 is a huge upgrade over the stock RP3, and it keeps the tire tracking better than the RP23. I would highly recommend getting a pushed RP3 for the flux!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CalEpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    624
    I was not impressed with the RP3 on my Flux. It was easily overwhelmed on long, fast, rough descents. Even with the rebound at full fast it just couldn't keep up. The Push mods were well worth the money in my opinion. The other thing was that I couldn't really tell much difference between the Propedal settings when stock. With the Push mods there is a noticable difference.

    Unless you like the idea of a backup shock I would just get your existing one Push'd.

    I have a Spot too and depending how you have them built, there is certainly enough difference between them to justify having both.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    893
    If you will be taking the Flux on trips, get the PUSH RP3 and keep your stock RP3 as a backup. You don't want to ruin a trip. If not, the stock RP3 works well enough to leave it on the bike and just ride for now. You could always get it tuned by PUSH for around $150 and save $100.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •