mtbr member

'05 Z1FR1 tuning/Frankenfork Q's

...kinda Turner related as the Z1 lives on my RFX.... (and it seems to be you guys who live on the shocks page too )

Not had the Z1 long - probably bought it in Dec last year - closeout deal.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with the performance. Big hits are beautifully controlled. Plop down from 5' and I can feel the fork slow and soak up the hit.

Its the little stuff thats the issue. They feel waaay overdamped for my 155lb (ready to ride) - nowhere near as plush as the Pikes they replaced.

Given the spring rate seems about right (stock spring, 10psi in the chamber) I'm going to stick with the same oil heights, just try 5wt oil (instead of the stock 7.5?). Does that sound reasonable? Or would 2.5wt be better?

Oil heights - 'zocchi website says 120R, 135L. That's fork fully compressed, without springs if I recall correctly?

I've already stripped the fork. Despite not being very old the oil was in very poor condition - plenty of thick black sludge in the bottom of the legs. Is this normal?

Whilst the damper cart cycles fine, the ETA cart feels really stiction-ey. Again, is this normal. If not, how do I get in there? There's an allen key socket in the bottom of the foot bolt, but nothing seems to want to undo without an unreasonable amount of torque.

Frankenfork. I'm not being much of a fan of ETA - prefer a short active fork for some of the steep gnadgery climbs we have in the Peak district. I know some of you guys (tscheezy?) are running TAS carts out of AM1s in the LH leg. Reading the manual, it says that you should deflate the air chamber in the RH leg, before adjusting the travel. Is this actually necessary, or does it just ramp the spring rate up some? If it is neccessary, then I'll stick with the fork as is -too much faffing. Am I also right in thinking there's a lot of knob twiddling to be done to get a worthwhile reduction in travel?

Thank y'all for reading...

Jon

No, that's not phonetic
    Those are oil volumes, not heights. You need a decent graduated cylinder to measure the volumes correctly. Zoke oil does go black pretty fast, especially in the right leg. I change mine regularly, and it's always sludge. The left leg hardly needs it. I guess it's doing less work. I don't think you can pull on a cart and tell if it is stictiony or not. Most reary shocks are super hard to compress even without the spring. A little damping seems like a lot when you are just using hand pressure. On the TAS thing, you do not need to deflate the other leg before changing the travel. You just need to push down on the bars gently so the fork can move along the adjustment threads smoothly. They are alloy. It takes about 30 turns of the TAS knob to move one inch. That is a lot. Not something you do often, but for really long climbs it's nice since it also lowers each of the ETA positions by that same inch.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Yay! Bikes !
    have you tried running zero PSI ?
    Nick.

No, that's not phonetic
    The question about air pressure is a good point. I run 5psi and I'm 180#. If the fork feels too soft with low pressures (it will be more supple shallow in travel that way), you can add oil to the rebound leg to control bottoming. 10psi sounds like a lot for 155 pound guy.

mtbr member

Thank you guys....

.... reliable as always...

I'll try lower pressure then - Sure I plucked 10psi from off here somewhere, but no matter.

Oil volumes. My bad. Looked at "oil LEVEL table" and utterley missed the bit where it said "all volumes in ml". Ho hum....

TAS doesn't sound like what I'm after. While I'm an expert knob twiddler , 30 turns to drop an inch is a bit much. Most of our climbs don't really last more than maybe 10 mins, so I'd still be sat there at the bottom twiddling, whilst everyone else is sat at the top waiting. A U-turn upgrade would be nice. (and possibly not that difficult to engineer if you ditched the ETA??? Might have to think more on that. Anyone for a Z1ke??? (Z1/Pike hybrid )

Food for thought anyway...

No, that's not phonetic
    It may be 30 clicks, with two clicks per turn. I'm not positive right now, but it's a bunch.

I do love my FR1 to death, but I will consider the new RS when they come out based on my very positive Pike experience.