try driving your car less

From 05 HL spot to 27.5: burner or flux?

My old Spot has 130mm of travel. I see the burner with 140 or the flux with 120... I don't do drops and such and keep it mellow. I do like a light-feeling playful bike, not a monster truck. I am more XC than 'trail' but not a lycra HRM molar grinder. Just riding my bike trying to keep up with everyone else...
    I have a 27.5 on the front of my bike.
    I live in MA and do not foresee any way to demo either of these bikes.
    I turn four-OH this winter and hoping to turn that milestone into a new bike to last another ten years or so.

Do they still do turner for a turner? I don't see it anywhere on the website.

Don't want to open a can of worms... but will these be a major improvement over my old Spot besides the fact that everything will work and no weird noises while riding?
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Sound's like you'll get along great with the new flux. I'd only go for the Burner if you like more technical riding.

I moved from a 03 spot to a '11 spot. Both amazing bikes but the DW link is definitely a step up in performance.

Don't be concerned that you are loosing 10mm of travel - you'll probably feel like you have more with the DW link.

Looks like Turner are still doing the trade in - https://www.turnerbikes.com/all-turn...e-rebuild-faqs

So go for it - there have been a lot of improvements since 2005!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely go with the Flux! I had an 07 and an 09 Spot and the Flux is pretty much just as capable with the bigger wheel feel with out the extra weight penalty. I am even running a 140 26" fork up front which has about the same axle to crown as a 120 27.5 fork.

try driving your car less
    Thanks for the replies. I will be keeping an eye out for a large flux.
    Only boring people get bored.

Kiwi that Flew
    From your thread heading I would have said Burner, but from your thread content I would definitely say Flux.

mtbr member
    I too have an 03 Spot along with an 03 Burner and today I'm heading out to Turner to exchange the Burner for a new Flux with a $600 discount. My riding style seems similar to yours and I chose the Flux because I feel that the 27.5 wheel and 1 degree slacker HA will more than offset the 10mm travel deficit while being more peddlable. I feel like the DW bikes bob less but have more pedal feedback/platform than the HL bikes. The Flux will be my xc rig to compliment my Intense Tracer 275 6" bike; I hope I'll be able to drop 5 lbs on the flux build as compared to the Tracers 8 lb frame!