Thread: 05 Am1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

05 Am1

Just picked up a leftover AM1 for my 5Spot and a friend (who used to have one) mentioned to me that they came stock with too much oil. Said to look for a thread somewhere on MTBR about this...

Still looking, but no luck so far. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by wademan
    Just picked up a leftover AM1 for my 5Spot and a friend (who used to have one) mentioned to me that they came stock with too much oil. Said to look for a thread somewhere on MTBR about this...

Still looking, but no luck so far. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!
    140-145ml in the ETA side and 40-45ml in the TST side. Make sure you purge all the old oil before refilling. Cycling the ETA cart then dump - repeat several times.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow! That's fast service. Thanks again!
    I weigh around 155, any idea if I should be on the high or low side of those numbers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    btw, I just built up this bike. My old ride is an 02. I realize this is not news here -- but I can't believe how much I love this bike!!

All of my reservations about moving to five inches have vanished. This bike climbs better and performs better over the slower-speed, technical-rocky stuff out my way than my old bike did.

Amazing!

Lay off the Levers
    SS I just rebuilt my fork Did you remove the spring on the ETA side to cycle and purge it?

An interesting proceedure changing the oil in the TAS cartridge. I was in dire need of bleeding the air out of the expansion lung.

My TAS cap had somehow unthreaded in the fork and detached from the cartridge. It went back together w/o any trouble at all though. It was interesting to see how it adjusts the travel w/o compressing the ETA spring. I remember folks asking about if changing the travel created any preload or stiffness. Now I see how it is not an issue. Great design!

Here's the exploded parts layout:

Here's how it fits w/o the spring, you can see how the end cap slides as the spring retainer is drawn up with the threads. The spring does not compress.

Fully extended, halfway, and minimum travel. None of this affects the ETA or any spring preload. Kewl.

As kewl as it is, it'll be on the sale block in a week
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-08-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    Reason being?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wademan
    I weigh around 155, any idea if I should be on the high or low side of those numbers?
    Low.

The heavier the rider, the greater the oil amount. In your case start on the low side and see if you're getting full travel: if not, go lower; if your bottoming out, go higher.