fried stuff with cheese

05 66RC for RFX?

Is this too much fork? I've got it at 170mm of travel on my ASX but I was thinking of droping it down to 150mm, sell the ASX and buy an RFX. Am I better off selling the frame and fork and picking up a Z1?
    Egg

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not if ya ask me. thats what i run.
    No, I'm NOT back!

fried stuff with cheese
    Mmmmmm......now I just have to find someone to buy the ASX Frame.

Ok, I'm also going to need some reasons I can give my wife to convince her not to throw me out if I do this. Oh, and they need to be good ones she's a lawyer.
    Egg

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I tried a 170mm '05 66 last year on my '02 RFX, for a trip to whistler. I did both the bike park and plenty of XC on it.

It really wasn't too bad at 170, great in the park, and fine on flat or DH singletrack. Even fire-road climbing wasn't too bad. climbing was work (but hey, isn't it always on a 40lb bike with flats). The only area where I really didn't care for it was uphill skinnies or elevated stuff. It felt floppy and was hard to keep on line when I only have 4" to work with when going uphill. The downhills almost made it worth it.

You can convert to 150 and that will be much better. Nice to have the 170mm option, if only for bike park use.

fried stuff with cheese
    Thanks,
    Still not sure I want to pull the trigger on this. Guess I'll have to see what I can get for my ASX frame.
    Egg

fried stuff with cheese
    Does anyone know if you can reduce the travel in the 66RC from 170 to 150?
    I could have swarn that I read you could, but I'm being told it can't be done.
    Egg

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    as far as i know its a easy swap but i havent done it. im stayin at 150 for now. i can check into it but not till monday. let me know if ya still need a answer by sun pm.
    No, I'm NOT back!

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    as far as i know its a easy swap but i havent done it. im stayin at 150 for now. i can check into it but not till monday. let me know if ya still need a answer by sun pm.
    If you wouldn't mind looking into for me, that would be cool. I can't get the search function to work on here. Stupid error message. I'll keep trying though.
    I'm not even sure I can swing the purchase of the frame so if I can't make my current fork work it's out of the question. The RFX/Pack 170mm fork combo is not going to cut it for me. If I can't get it down to 150mm, I'll be waiting for sure.
    Egg