mtbr member

'04 5 Spot Specs? And PU For you history buffs.......help.

Does anyone know the 2004 ..........

shock length and stroke?

The BB was 13.25", but was based on what A2C length?

And came with 5.1" rockers or 5.3"?

I have the PUSH rockers on it now, and it has a shock of 7.5 X 2. Is that correct? What travel does that give it? Thanks for your help.
    Bob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Shock is 7.5X2.0 travel is 5.1 - 5.3 rockers came out in 05. The BB height was based on a Fox fork with 120 or 125 mm travel but I don't recall the a-c.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If memory serves me right, DT used a 125mm Fox Vanilla for the geometry spec back in 2004. It was 500mm a2c. Travel was 5.1in. 5.3in rocker didn't change static geometry in later frames (2005+ until 5.5 came out). PUSH rocker gives either 5.75 of rear travel; it raises the bottom bracket some, I don't recall the figure and steepens the head angle some as well. The shock has always been 7.5 x 2.0 on the 5 Spot.

There were 2 other major differences for the 2004 and 2003 frames. First is the front derailleur cable stop was in the middle of the seat tube (facing the rear wheel) so the frames are not compatible with the 5.5in rocker as the tire rubs the cable stop; it was moved off center for later frames. Second, medium and smaller frames have a hard time clearing a piggy-back shock. In 2005 and later frames the downtube comes down at a sharper angle and bends up toward the BB some to create extra space for the piggy back. Large frames (and bigger) did not have clearance issues there.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Hi _MK
    Oh EXCELLENT INFORMATION! Thanks a lot. I'm copying this and printing out and putting in my 5 Spot Archive Binder.
    Gosh, I have a 2.0 rear tire, Push rockers, a 2.2 front tire, and a RS Pike at 140 upfront. E gads, I must have a 13.75 BB and 66.5 degree HA! No wonder!

mtbr member

splitting hairs

Correct! The original geometry was based on the Fox 125 Vanilla, BUT I think the A2C was 505 mm and it gave the bike a 69* HA. The PIKE has a 518 mm A2C so you are probably only changing the HA by about 1/2 to 3/4 of a degree.

The 5.5 rockers do work on the older frames. You just can't run large tires in the back. I have 2.35s on mine and no problems.

I used to have the Push rockers. They did not steepen my HA at all.

I would guess you are at about a 13.5 BB (or less) and a 68* HA.

Sounds like a fun ride.

TG

mtbr member
    Hey G-AIR......I could swear that my 06 Pike U-turn Air is about 535 mm A2C, but maybe I'm measuring that incorrectly. Thanks for the info!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Hey G-AIR......I could swear that my 06 Pike U-turn Air is about 535 mm A2C, but maybe I'm measuring that incorrectly. Thanks for the info!
    Pike a/c is 518mm. I have a pike on my '04 spot with 5.5 rockers, which have identical geometry to the 5.1 rockers. My bb with 2.3 tires is 13.63, and HA is 68 degrees.

mtbr member

Rear mounted front Der Hanger???

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Pike a/c is 518mm. I have a pike on my '04 spot with 5.5 rockers, which have identical geometry to the 5.1 rockers. My bb with 2.3 tires is 13.63, and HA is 68 degrees.
    Thanks Renegade. Do you have any contact with the 2.3's against the rear mounted front derailleur?

ALSO TO ALL; Any idea where to get a pair of 5.5 rockers?

Thanks
    Bob

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Thanks Renegade. Do you have any contact with the 2.3's against the rear mounted front derailleur?

ALSO TO ALL; Any idea where to get a pair of 5.5 rockers?

Thanks
    Bob
    No contact.
    I bought a pair directly from turner, and another pair from an mtbr member. Turner still sells them, they are not allways in stock.

mtbr member
    I've got 5.5 rockers on a 2004 Spot. No contact at the cable stop with either Nevegal 2.35 or Conti Diesel 2.5. The top of the seat stay does hit the Salsa QR seat clamp though even when it is reversed (lever facing forward). Don't forget to raise the front der. when installing the 5.5 rockers.....