mtbr member
    Jul 2004

04-06 shock bolt up-sizing

just a quick question regarding the linkage on the DHR,

the shock bolt on the linkage (in this pic) is an M6 bolt.

is it safe to drill it to accomidate a M8 bolt so i can fit

one of these
    http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?Cate...Roller+Bearing

?

the M8 bolt head fits within the recess on the llinage no problem.

has anyone done it?
    Last edited by dualdirtman; 06-17-2008 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Why would you want to do that? The exposed environment and low angular rotation of a shock link is not well suited to bearings, no matter the type (BTW needle bearing sealing is never very good). I know Fox tested this (their version) a while ago and ditched as they all died an early death.

The rear shock mount on my DHR lasted over a year before I changed the bushing (a one dollar part)..there is a key however...the two piece reducers that fox supples are one of the biggest hunks of crap available in the bike industry.

if you are having bushing issues, get a one piece steel reducer set for your shock (and new bushings while you are doing this) and kiss your issues good bye.

The hardware for the Roco, or Lyric will fit the Fox. Fox also makes their own 'heavy duty' steel one piece reducer kit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    because i've been running this setup for 2+ years on my 01 dhr and has zero issues, the dhr is known for running through its bushing quite quick on the rear. been also using this on my sx and again zero issues. the sealing on the betd ones are great, UK mud hasn't got into mine yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stock shaft

You could use the same shaft as the other 3 pivots in your linkage, it is the same dimension with the exception of the bolt size, which is 6mm on ours.

DT

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dualdirtman
    the dhr is known for running through its bushing quite quick on the rear.
    It is well known that the cause of this is the garbage 2 piece aluminum Fox reducers. Steel one piece reducer = problem gone.

Either way, if it works for you, more power to you.. Here in the US, those parts are expensive and other solutions work and are less $$.

I guarantee though if you described the loads, rotation, and environment of this pivot to a qualified engineer, a bushing would be the best solution.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

steel

The #1 reason the roller bearings hold up better is that they are hardened steel, compared to non-anodized alu that Fox uses. IF Fox were to use hard ano reducers like their shock bodies and shafts they would last considerably longer. The other reason the Fox wear so fast is that there are no seals! muck falls on the shock end and then grinds away the pivots. I think they are the only ones that don't use a seal.

We will offer a kit like that for 6mm bolts soon, for those in the United States it will be easier to get.

DDM, you can either drill out the link for the bigger bolt or if you know someone with a manual lathe whip out some snug fitting inserts for the 8mm bore to the 6mm bolt.

DT