Anytime. Anywhere.

03 Spot Upgraded

Lotís of changes since I put her together 3 years ago. This bike still amazes me every time out at how good it performs in a wide variety of situations. Pushed Talus, Next LP's, are now on my HT, BB7's,stem migrated to my son's Loco Moto. A true all rounder.

2003 Med 5 Spot, RP3 w/ 5.3Ē rockers
    CK headset
    2006 RS Pike Air U-Turn
    Thomson X4 Stems, 90x5, 50x0
    Easton EA70 bars, low & hi rise
    Oury Lock grips
    SRAM X9 shifters, trigger-rear, twister-front
    SRAM X9 rear der, XT front
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes, 185 Galfer front, 160 round rear
    Thomson Post
    WTB Power V DH saddle
    Hope qr seatpost collar
    Raceface Deus Crankset 22,32
    Truevativ bash guard
    Conex chain
    Crank Brothers Eggbeater SL pedals
    Hope Bulb hubs, DT 14/15 spokes, brass nipples laced to Syncros DS28 rims
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 tires
    XT 11-34 cassette
    CK rear, Hope Pro 2 hubs, DT 14/15 , brass nipples laced to DT 5.1 rims
    Nokian NBX 2.3 tires
    SRAM 990 11-34 cassette
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fork ?

How do you like the Pike? What did you have before and what's the difference? Thanks for your response.
    Cheers,

Kane

Anytime. Anywhere.

Pretty New

I had a Pushed TALUS which is a great fork. I Built a Loco Moto for my son and had to get another fork so I decided to go 20mm through axle on the spot. I've only have a few rides on it but it still handles well in the singletrack and the Maxle makes steer straight and true through the rocks and roots. I am going to take out some air to get more travel but is was pretty plush and kept the front end planted. I only got about 3" out of it so far but I've heard that the RS pressure reccomendations are a little high.

FM
    mtbr member
    Hey, whats the deal with running gripshift for the front and triggers for the rear- do you find this preferable?

I've had a few bikes with some sort of friction shifting for the front der., and you certainly see a lot of roadie pros running ergopower/STI in back and a DT friction shifter in front- it does work- just curious if this is something you sought out?

SASQUATCH!
    Gripshifts in the front, while indexed, offer about 2-3 positions (clicks) per gear.

So you can essentially trim the front der to avoid chain rub when you run certain gear combinations.

I recently made the switch to gripshift (front and rear) and the trim ability was one of the reasons (along with rapid, intuitive shifts, better crash survivability, simpler mech). For years I scoffed at grip-shift and thought it kind of gimmicky, but frankly, after having actually tried it I won't ever be going back to triggers.

PS nice ride Bickle!

Anytime. Anywhere.

Indexed Front

I,ve never used an idexed front shifter and when I've tried it on friends bikes I hated that the chain rubbed in certain gears. This is progress. I noted that Speedgoat sold twist-front, trgger-rear shifter sets, so when I went to X9 that's what I got. I'm putting the Big Betty's and heading to the local ski hill with my son today to it through it's paces.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A couple questions for you

First, did the 5.3 rockers really make a difference? Second, how much did the Pike lift your handlebars?

Thanks,

Jaybo

PS nice bike!

Living the Dream

Beauty

How much soes she weigh? Just curious with your parts spec
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Toby Wong?
    red lust indeed, bro!

very nice!

Anytime. Anywhere.

One Ride

Just got back from the first ride with the new rockers at the local ski hill. Pretty buff singletrack with a couple of steep wooden features. I didn't hit any drops and got 1 5/8" out of 2" on the RP3. I think that a rougher trail would give me a better idea if the new rockers are better. I don't usually ride the Spot on the trails around town, that's the ss's domain. I will take it out this week and fool around with the fork and shock pressure and see if I can't hit something big. I have know idea what it weighs but I can't think of any components I would want to change for lighter.The saddle is heavy but it's nice and long which helps with the climbing. The Pike is 23mm taller than the old 125mm TALUS so I swapped the 11/2" rise bar for an 3/4" rise. 3/4" = 19mm which means my new position is 4mm higher. I didn't notice the 4mm.
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 06-18-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Travis,
    Nice upgrades, your rear shifter cable run is really clean - I like it. Ride looks really good. As for the mix and match shifters I would really like to hear how you like them. What did you run before? I have thought of trying this for a while but always drop the idea. I am afraid I will get confused as to what side is what when tired.

FM,
    I am a little suprised that you havent seen the trigger/twist combo I have heard it was kinda cult thing on the Shore. (Maybe its not so common as I had thought) Norco bikes used to come like that straight from the factory, dont know if they still do??? I switched to twisties a long time ago, basically due to price (poor college kid at the time) and due to the advantages I never went back to thumbies. I would never give up the trimming capability of my front D.

Do It Yourself
    I probably missed the thread but where did you get the rockers and how much were they?

Thanks.

BTW, very nice ride!
    Long Live Long Rides

Anytime. Anywhere.

Shifters & New Rockers

I think the rockers were @ $140 US.

The X9 shifters work great so far. I have always used old XT 7 speed thumbshifters with an 8 speed cassette or twist shifters with XT rear derrailleurs. The last setup was XT thumbshifters and and XTR rear derailleur, and XT front. This worked great, I could shift through all 8 cogs in one go, very positive and precise. X9 trigger is also very positive and precise even though it's 9 speed. I did a few rides in Capitol Forest WA in wet and muddy conditions and there was no degradation in shifting. I prefer non indexed shifting for the front to trim the derailleur to eliminate rubbing. The X9 twister and XT front derailleur work well together and the only "problem" is that Oury does not make a short lock on grip for twisters. A minute with the saw on my swiss army knife and all was as it should be. As you can see I like my shifter closest to the grip so I can get my brake lever far enough inboard for one finger braking and as you can see X9/Juicy 7 allows me to do this.

Members who have read this thread: 0