what a joke

01 and 02 RFX differences?

Is the geometry the same? Pivot locations the same? Is the 02 more reinforced than the 01. What else is different?

Thanks
    blah blah blah

Yay! Bikes !
    From a suspension design standpoint they are likely the same. The best way to be sure is to call over to Turner Bikes and ask them.

That said, we have four RFX in my group or riding buds, all bought and built within 1.5 years of each other, and there are slight differences between all four of the frames.

Did you see the 19.5" RFX for sale in the classifieds? You should snatch that bike up while you can and change your signature. The frame in the picture appears to have the same headtube gussets as my late '02 frame. A non-drive side picture would be nice to spot other design features in the BB area and rear disc mount.
    Nick.

~~~~~~~~
    geometry is the same, some subtle differences in details.
    There was a thread a while back that discussed these differences.
    Turner used the same photo and specs for 01 and 02.
    Check it out here,
    http://web.archive.org/web/200103300...s.com/rfx.html

what a joke

Direct from DT

Just got a reply to a email I sent DT, he said the '02 frames had .25" longer top tubes and different cable routing and the tubing was the same. I was looking at that 19.5 in the classifieds but now I will wait for an 02 with a longer TT, it all counts at my height.
    blah blah blah

large member
    Another couple of differences I've noticed: that the '01 has a gusset at the bottom of the head tube presumably to prevent ovalizing, whereas the '02 just has a much thicker headtube. The '01 has brake-cable stops on the front triangle, but has a disc-only rear triangle (wtf?); the '02 has disc hose guides on the front triangle. The '02 has ISCG tabs; the '01 does not. The '01 has a bolt-on disc brake mount; I'm pretty sure the '02's is welded to the seatstay.
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    the '02 frames had .25" longer top tubes.
    My frames an '02 and I could have sworn the TT spec was 22.5" but the '02 specs have vanished and what your saying makes sense seeing as the '01 specs say 22.2".

Problem is I can't seem to reproduce a TT measurement that confirms it's 22.5, it's definatly closer to 22.2, and additionally the cockpit on the Turners is smaller, so don't expect to go from a bike with the same TT length as a Turner and get the same fit.

mtbr member
    The 02s that I've seen also have more rear tire clearance than my 01, and the TT seems to connect the seat tube a little lower as well.

Clem

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My 2002 has the gusset at the bottom of the head tube, and a ridiculously thick head tube as well. The disc mount is kinda weird: it is machined part of the drop-out. But it looks as though it was orginially relieved, but then had plate welded into the relieved part.

I'll try and post some pix

Quote Originally Posted by sub6
    Another couple of differences I've noticed: that the '01 has a gusset at the bottom of the head tube presumably to prevent ovalizing, whereas the '02 just has a much thicker headtube. The '01 has brake-cable stops on the front triangle, but has a disc-only rear triangle (wtf?); the '02 has disc hose guides on the front triangle. The '02 has ISCG tabs; the '01 does not. The '01 has a bolt-on disc brake mount; I'm pretty sure the '02's is welded to the seatstay.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    My 2002 has the gusset at the bottom of the head tube, and a ridiculously thick head tube as well. The disc mount is kinda weird: it is machined part of the drop-out. But it looks as though it was orginially relieved, but then had plate welded into the relieved part.

I'll try and post some pix
    you talking about this one on the front of the headtube? All the '02's I've ever seen don't have it, but that don't mean much!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Oh NO! I just have the gusset at the downtube. I see what you're saying now.

That blue looks kick-ass, what a sweet frame! I notice that that gusset is sort of Ventana style, and I've also noticed that the RFX's seem to have different weld quality than some of turners other bikes. I wonder if there is truth to the rumor that ventanas' welders made a few runs of RFX's- what do you think?

One things for sure, I nearly piss my pants everytime I ride mine, they are such great frames. truly ahead of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by sub6
    you talking about this one on the front of the headtube? All the '02's I've ever seen don't have it, but that don't mean much!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I wonder if there is truth to the rumor that ventanas' welders made a few runs of RFX's
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Turner
    About Ventana, Sherwood built the first 150 Turner frames. That was in 93-94.
    Geez, haven't you been reading the Nitrous thread?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    LOL! No, obviously I haven't. I'll have to give it a read to see what you're talking about.

On the weight: If you want a lighter RFX...... buy a 5-spot! Compare the RFX to a heckler: The RFX is less than 1lb heavier (on a scale, not the internet), has an inch more travel, is a true 4-bar, and is rated for a 7" dual crown- unlike the heckler. And, it climbs great. Weight is part of the game when you buy a burly 6" frame that can handle huge drops.

So, a friend of mine has been bike-shopping and asking me for advice. I was actually steering him towards a heckler... and he comes over last night with a used 2002 large black RFX, great condition, nearly identical to mine. I think he's cashing out on it today. Amazing to me, that with so much interest, there was an RFX sitting on consignment at a LBS. He's getting it painted so we can tell our bikes apart!

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Geez, haven't you been reading the Nitrous thread?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    My frames an '02 and I could have sworn the TT spec was 22.5" but the '02 specs have vanished and what your saying makes sense seeing as the '01 specs say 22.2".

Problem is I can't seem to reproduce a TT measurement that confirms it's 22.5, it's definatly closer to 22.2, and additionally the cockpit on the Turners is smaller, so don't expect to go from a bike with the same TT length as a Turner and get the same fit.
    There are definetely tweeks between the '01 and '02. Most of the major ones have been discussed. Here is the geometry specs you were looking for: '01 and '02 with '02 having the longer top tube just like Dave Turner said:
    Last edited by KLars; 05-04-2004 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member

Hehehe...

...me likey me bikey.

Get some.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.