mtbr member
    Aug 2004

= Fox RP3 / AVA?? =

Hi folks, I am thinking of swapping our my Romic twin tube for e lighter air shock. I appreciate that the RP3 is supposed to be the 'wunder shock' of the day, but what about the old Float RL maybe with the AVA? also, does anyone have experience (or comment on) the RP3 with AVA? (Adjustable Air Volume for those not famiiar).

Keen to hear commments?

Nick

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    of the reviews i have seen.. the RP3 is a better shock to use compared to the AVA.. but it really depends on what you like..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobflyer
    of the reviews i have seen.. the RP3 is a better shock to use compared to the AVA.. but it really depends on what you like..
    Has anyone actually used a Fox AVA on a 5 Spot? and do folks actually play around with the volume setting?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by ibod1000
    Has anyone actually used a Fox AVA on a 5 Spot? and do folks actually play around with the volume setting?
    I ran an AVA on my 5-spot for a while. Pretty descent damper, but like bobflyer pointed out, the RP3 is a much better shock.

PUSH tuning transformed the shock tho - it all of a sudden became a better shock than the stock RP3. Better rebound damping, much more compliant to small bumps, etc... I'm on a PUSH RP3 now tho.

As for a Volume setting - it's not something I actually played with. I did at first, but once I found the right setting for me, it was "set and forget"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

= Thanks Acadian..... =

As I expected. One of the reasons I was considering the AVA is because it is usually considerably less expensive. However, I also wanted to know whether the RP3 with AVA is worth the extra cash.

Now just need to find a great deal or nice used one, oh and sell my Romic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

= Forgot to ask .... =

DO you know anyone who has used a FOx DHX Air on the Spot? wondering if it feels more like an ALL MOUNTAIN machine with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I ran an AVA on my 5-spot for a while. Pretty descent damper, but like bobflyer pointed out, the RP3 is a much better shock.

PUSH tuning transformed the shock tho - it all of a sudden became a better shock than the stock RP3. Better rebound damping, much more compliant to small bumps, etc... I'm on a PUSH RP3 now tho.

As for a Volume setting - it's not something I actually played with. I did at first, but once I found the right setting for me, it was "set and forget"

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Just get the RP3..You'll be so giddy afterwards with the purchase...

jrm
    mtbr member

Another way to approach it..

Is buy the RL, add the AVA and then get it pushed. This will cost you the same as a good price on a used rp3..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi folks, I am thinking of swapping our my Romic twin tube for e lighter air shock. I appreciate that the RP3 is supposed to be the 'wunder shock' of the day, but what about the old Float RL maybe with the AVA? also, does anyone have experience (or comment on) the RP3 with AVA? (Adjustable Air Volume for those not famiiar).

Keen to hear commments?

Nick
    I have a pushed AVA. I have no experience w/the RP3. Getting the AVA pushed made a difference in the performance. I don't play around with the volume though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    DO you know anyone who has used a FOx DHX Air on the Spot? wondering if it feels more like an ALL MOUNTAIN machine with one.
    there are some fit issues with the shock and spot.. so if i were u.. i would just stay form it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    this is off on a tangent but I think FOX should just buy out PUSH and use their knowledge and experience. It would be better for us in terms pricing and turn around time.
    (edited :typo)
    Last edited by stoked; 10-23-2005 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

= Or have the intelligence to learn from their techniques?.. =

Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    this is off on a tangent but I think FOX should just but out PUSH and use their knowledge and experience. It would be better for us in terms pricing and turn around time.
    I don't see why (apart from the obvious legal issues) that they (FOX) can't simply learn ffrom what Push do to the shocks to then improve their own???

BTW, do many folks still run coil shocks like my Romic on the Spot? I coughed up for the RCS Ti spring at build as well, now looking to sell at significant loss :-((