Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DaFaJa

xx1 w/xt derailleur on a superfly100 carbon

I am going to pull the trigger on swapping my xt 2x10 for a xx1 1x10 on my Superfly..as long as I have owned this bike about a year I might have changed the front ring 2 times..I never use it..I am ready to upgrade and going with the xx1, Per sram it will work with the xt derailleur...Any one else run this set up?
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run the XX1 crank 1x10 on my HT, currently using the X9 Type 2 but I am about to put it on my SF100 which is XT Shadow Plus. I run a SRAM 1031 or 1051 chain and an 11-36 XT cassette. The crank won't care what kind of derailleur you have as long as it's a Shadow Plus or SRAM Type 2. If it's not clutch assisted, chain retention won't be as reliable. I have run a 1x10 with no chain guide on my SF100 with a Surly 32t and XT Shadow plus with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    I am going to pull the trigger on swapping my xt 2x10 for a xx1 1x10 on my Superfly..as long as I have owned this bike about a year I might have changed the front ring 2 times..I never use it..I am ready to upgrade and going with the xx1, Per sram it will work with the xt derailleur...Any one else run this set up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not quite sure what compatibility you are talking about here. I mean the rear derailleur and SRAM shifters aren't compatible, and if you're going 1x on the front you won't have a front derailleur.

additional - you'll probably need a chain keeper for the front ring.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you run an xx1 crank with a shadow plus or type 2 derailleur you do not need a chain retention device. The only compatibility issue here is the fact that you can't use a SRAM shifter for a shimano derailleur and vice versa. Personally I have never tried to prove or disprove the claim.

I'd rather be riding
    From what I've read if you want to run this combo the best bet is to use the XX1 Crank and Chain with any 10 speed cassette and then a 10 speed shimano or sram shifter/clutch rd setup.

DaFaJa
    Ordered it yesterday as well as a new chain, I will post some photos this weekend..
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So you just got the xx1 crank and chain and using the xt shifter, cassette, derailleur you already have?

Birthday Collector
    How's the XX1 chainring working with a "regular" SRAM/Shimano chain? Should be fine with any good 10-speed chain. If you're running the Dynasys-level Shimano equip, I'd run their chain - plate shaping to work with their cog/chainring cut-outs. I used to run SRAM chains on Shimano back in the 9-spd days with a great track record of longevity and lack of chain problems, but the newer systems do seem to be pretty dead-on with their proper "system" pieces. Both brands rock. The XX1 is impressive with the thought that went into it on the crank and ring, especially. Do you think you'll convert to the XX1 11-spd in the rear some day or just stick 1x10 with the hybrid system? Be interesting to hear how it runs with the XT!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Do you think you'll convert to the XX1 11-spd in the rear some day or just stick 1x10 with the hybrid system? Be interesting to hear how it runs with the XT!
    If it wasnt so pricy I would do the full swap, I dont like that you have to swap the rear hub..and the reviews on the rear derailleur has been getting mixed reviews as well as the chain..Its not installed yet so I can not give a review on it, I should have it installed by Friday 3/8/13 & Ride over the weekend only because I am working out of town till the 11th
    -Paul
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Be interesting to hear how it runs with the XT!
    Works fine as long as it's the clutch derailleur. I am running an XX1 crank (32t), XT cassette, XT shadow plus rear derailleur and a KMC 10 speed chain. Have yet to throw the chain even when plowing rock gardens or launching drops on my Rumblefish (which shouldn't be that much different than the Superfly).

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Deko View Post
    Works fine as long as it's the clutch derailleur. I am running an XX1 crank (32t), XT cassette, XT shadow plus rear derailleur and a KMC 10 speed chain. Have yet to throw the chain even when plowing rock gardens or launching drops on my Rumblefish (which shouldn't be that much different than the Superfly).
    Cant wait..Should have it installed today..

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img51/934/xx11.jpg][/IMG]

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img825/2253/xx1tj.jpg][/IMG]
    Last edited by Corbinworks; 03-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Installed, Did not get to ride today, Hope to ride over the weekend some time..
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Just wanted to report back, Ridden about 15 miles now, had zero problems, No chain slap, Ghost shifting & its super quite...
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

BB Part #

Good stuff! What was the part/part number for the bottom bracket that you used to get the xx1 to work with the Trek bottom bracket? You had a shimano XT crank previously correct?

Just wanted to report back, Ridden about 15 miles now, had zero problems, No chain slap, Ghost shifting & its super quite...

DaFaJa
    Yes I had XT & Its a Q168, I am really happy with the swap so far..I should get some time ride time this weekend..
    Tampa FL USA

Andrew
    Nice! Will be upgrading the crankset on my SF soon, excited to see the XX works.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was looking for the SRAM part number of the delrin cups and bearings for the bottom bracket. The shimano cups and bearings are different from the SRAM ones. It was necesarry to switch the cups and bearings to get the crank mounted properly, was it not?

Yes I had XT & Its a Q168, I am really happy with the swap so far..I should get some time ride time this weekend..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is the one I just ordered for my XX1 cranks. They have them in different grades of bearings also.GXP CHROMIUM STEEL BEARING KITS FOR TREK BB90 AND BB95

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Corbinwork,

Did you use the spacer and wavy washer on your crank install or just the wavy washer? I have the old 3 ring gxp cranks off the 2010 superfly 100 on a warranty 2012 SF 100 pro and it needed a spacer on the crank next to the wavy washer to fit. I have the xx1 kit on the way with the 175mm gxp 168Q cranks and can't wait. I am running the XO 1x9 now, but everything has a ton of milage and it seemed better to get the whole kit than buy a piece at a time.

I hate that name.
    FCuddy: Yes, Sram and Shimano use different bb's. Your bike is a SF100AL, yes? AL uses a pressfit bb, from Trek it's part # 419181 for Sram. The carbons use just bearings, part # 404700 for Sram.

dlennard: Spacer and wavy washer were used on Corbin's bike.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Super Outdoor Rep
    Apr 2009

Re: xx1 w/xt derailleur on a superfly100 carbon

I called trek on a crank issue and they said that the carbon has press fit BB.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DaFaJa
    I have the list of parts I used for mine..
    BB Trek Madone Sram Kit #404700
    Sram xx1 AM FC xx1 Q168 GXP
    Tampa FL USA

Super Outdoor Rep
    Apr 2009

Re: xx1 w/xt derailleur on a superfly100 carbon

Mine came with a XT crank. Would that use the sram bb or shamans bb?

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber96 View Post
    Mine came with a XT crank. Would that use the sram bb or shamans bb?

Everything I listed is was used for my Carbon, I also had XT
    Tampa FL USA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast