mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XT Double for Trek Fuel EX8 2013.

Hi everyone.

Done a bit of research on this but still a bit confused so hoping someone can advise.

I have a newish 2013 Trek Fuel EX8 and I would like to change the standard budget triple chainset for a nice XT Double.

Due to the press fit bottom bracket I'm not sure which chaniset I should be getting. Here is the link for the one I want:

Wiggle Australia | Shimano XT M785 10 Speed Hollowtech II Double Chainset | MTB Chainsets

It comes with the bottom bracket and I see someone has asked a question on Wiggle and they have replied to say that it comes with a threaded BB. Can I just discard the BB that comes with the chainset and fit it to my existing press fit BB?

I also suspect that I may need a spacer since the double is thinner than the triple. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance....

Al.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any standard hollowtech crank should work on the frame. I just read about your bike some more, turns out it's yet another bottom bracket standard. Since you've got a shimano crank already, it should fit. I don't know about the spacers since the double might not need it.

As for the bike itself, you'll need a new front derailleur too. You might be able to rig it up to work, but "technically" a triple front is very different from a double, which BTW is large chainring size dependent. Your shifter should be 2/3 speed compatible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Many thanks for the reply, I have ordered the XT Double along with a double front mech.

I will report back if it all fits ok just in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same upgrade.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Your front shifter will have a very tiny lever switch on the bottom for changing it from a 2-3 speed, (don't change the position unless you are in the middle gear). I put a double on my EX and it works great. No spacer needed. The spacing for the first two chain rings is the same, (they just eliminated the 3rd ring).

mtbr member
    Why not just change the chain rings (or just the middle) to what you want. Folks convert triples to doubles all the time. I've done it for years, as in over ten with no negative results. I'm always running bash guards in lew of a big ring.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    Why not just change the chain rings (or just the middle) to what you want. Folks convert triples to doubles all the time. I've done it for years, as in over ten with no negative results. I'm always running bash guards in lew of a big ring.
    Yeah, that would have been one solution, but I wanted to upgrade the chainset anyway as it comes with fairly budget Deore one as standard. So just killing two birds with one stone.

Anyway, the XT Double is now fitted along with the XT Double front mech. So far so good.

One issue I do have though.... Since I was buying some nice XT bits to replace the standard Deore bits I also got an XT cassette, but when I fitted that and tried to ride the bike there is a horrible - vibration isn't the right word, more like crunching feeling coming through the pedals. Just doesn't feel right. Its like the cassette and chain aren't compatible or something. When I put the standard cassette back on the feeling goes away.

Just to recap its a 2013 Fuel EX8, as standard it comes with a 10sp Dynasys Deore cassette and I have just fitted a 10sp Dynasys XT cassette. They should be interchangeable right?

mtbr member
    Yes, they should be compatible. Did you replace the chain? It could be worn (stretched to the point that the new sprockets don't sit right and the old one has worn together sort of as a team. Try this: take the new cassette and rap some of the chain around one (some, as in try a few) of the sprockets. See if the chain meshes, no gaps, no tension. You should be able to do this with out taking your bike apart. Maybe somethings up with the cassette.
    Just a suggestion.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.