Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,781

    XR3 Team Issue 29" x 2.2 vs. 29" x 2.3 vs. 29" x 2.4

    The Trek website shows the XR3 Team Issue TLR in multiple sizes that seem almost too close together.

    Besides the 2.4 being $5 less expensive, are there any real differences between the above? For example, is the 2.4 an updated version with new rubber compound and tread pattern or something like that?

    Bontrager XR3 Team Issue TLR MTB Tire | Trek Bikes

  2. #2
    is RAD
    Reputation: Van Cuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    185
    I think the 2.4 became available recently, so I am assuming it's a 2017 tyre, which is getting wider to go with the wider Bontrager wheels

  3. #3
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Cuz View Post
    I think the 2.4 became available recently, so I am assuming it's a 2017 tyre, which is getting wider to go with the wider Bontrager wheels
    I was wondering that. Thanks.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    I just got XR3 2.4s. They are a bit wider and the knobs are a little taller than the 2.3s. You can check them out at the local Trek LBS as they're fitted to the new Fuel EXs.

  5. #5
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I just got XR3 2.4s. They are a bit wider and the knobs are a little taller than the 2.3s. You can check them out at the local Trek LBS as they're fitted to the new Fuel EXs.
    Great, thanks. How are you liking them?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,592
    I've only tried the new 2.4 briefly but have lots of time with 2.2 and 2.3. I'm waiting for some SE3 to arrive and they should be considered.

    The new 2.4 I tried on 2017 bike could not be pushed like a trail demo but they seemed only slightly larger.

    All of these are super good predictable tires that don't pack as fast as some other fast tires. They have lots of traction for fast tires. I like 3 back and 4 front.

    I've torn or scored XR rear sidewalls too much for sealant to hold and that's why I suggested knowing about the SE tires. This has happened where there are sharp rocks and that's not something all areas have.

    Note to all Trek dealers and corporate sales and marketing people who might read this. Look in the mirror and repeat that you're a fool for not having the SEs stocked well and more well known.

    IIRC, SE3 is light compared to other reinforced tires.

  7. #7
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,781
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

    All of these are super good predictable tires that don't pack as fast as some other fast tires.
    What do you mean by "pack?"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,768
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I've torn or scored XR rear sidewalls too much for sealant to hold and that's why I suggested knowing about the SE tires. This has happened where there are sharp rocks and that's not something all areas have.

    IIRC, SE3 is light compared to other reinforced tires.
    I've never had a problem with the XR4 sidewalls, but have poked a rock through two XR3s over the years.

    Admittedly in an environment where the XR4 might have been more appropriate.

    As you pointed out, there isn't much weight penalty going from the XR3 to the SE3. As soon as the 2.4 version of the SE3 is available, I'll be getting a couple.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Great, thanks. How are you liking them?
    I haven't ridden the 2.4" XR3s yet. I put them on 30mm IW rims rather than the 21mm rims than I've been running with the 2.3s so it won't be a direct comparison. Of course I'm doing this because I fully expect to like the setup better for my typical rocky/rooty trail riding.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I haven't ridden the 2.4" XR3s yet. I put them on 30mm IW rims rather than the 21mm rims than I've been running with the 2.3s so it won't be a direct comparison. Of course I'm doing this because I fully expect to like the setup better for my typical rocky/rooty trail riding.
    And you should be able to lower the pressure some for more traction. Maybe 4-5 psi.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    661
    Any word on the 2.55 version of these tires yet?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    And you should be able to lower the pressure some for more traction. Maybe 4-5 psi.
    That's part of the plan, but I'm already at 16 front and 18 rear with the 2.3s on 21mm rims. That's measured with a 0-30 psi Accugage. I might try a couple of psi lower with the wider setup.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,753
    You get to experiment.
    I've been down to 11 front accidentally by neglecting to check before a loop that started smooth for a couple miles. I felt the tire crinkle and grab when pushed doing a line change while cornering. No foldover and no washout. The tire traction was increased over my normal 14. But I can't get at that traction because the rim hits go up too much for the rocky segments. I nursed it back. What I need is variable pressure with fast response. Made F1 can come up with that.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I've been down to 11 front accidentally ....
    Me too. The gauge on one of my 150psi floor pumps was reading high at the bottom end of its scale and I wound up running 10 front and 14 rear. I got the Accugage to more accurately quantify pressures and experimented settling on my current pressures which I vary depending on the situation. I expect that I'll wind up a few psi lower with the wider tires and rims.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14
    Any specs for this tire? I don't see any listed on Trek's website. I was curious about weight and if they run pretty true to the listed size.
    Last edited by buckwheat12n; 08-02-2016 at 02:58 PM.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14
    I contacted Trek customer service. Weight specs for the XR3 (29 x 2.4) are 745 grams for the Team and 790 grams for the Expert.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    The two Team Issue XR3 2.4" 29" I have are 788gm actual.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The two Team Issue XR3 2.4" 29" I have are 788gm actual.
    How are they as far as actual width? Do they look like they run close to a true 2.4?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,178
    They look huge compared to the 2.3s on the 21mm IW stock wheels. The different rim widths interfere with a direct comparison between the tires. Bead to bead might be informative but I don't have the measurement for the 2.3.

    Tire IW Case Knobs B-B Diameter
    2.3 21 55 58 ?? 29.13"
    2.4 29 60 60 150 29.25"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    What do you mean by "pack?"
    Between spaces fill with dirt and stay that way.

    FWIW: I've got miles on the SE3 in different conditions now, had XR3 Team and have XR3 Expert on another bike - all rear tires. The SE3 is "shut up and buy it" grade. All the virtues of any "3" tread, reinforced sidewalls at good weight plus softer rubber outside has a slight advantage on damp roots and rocks.

    One tire is not a large data sample but it (SE3) did super easy tubeless setup.

  21. #21
    A-X
    A-X is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Between spaces fill with dirt and stay that way.

    FWIW: I've got miles on the SE3 in different conditions now, had XR3 Team and have XR3 Expert on another bike - all rear tires. The SE3 is "shut up and buy it" grade. All the virtues of any "3" tread, reinforced sidewalls at good weight plus softer rubber outside has a slight advantage on damp roots and rocks.

    One tire is not a large data sample but it (SE3) did super easy tubeless setup.
    SE3 with an SE5 up front looks like a tempting option.
    Bird Aeris : Remedy 9.9 29er : Procaliber 9.8 SL

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: 2010 Marin Team Issue 19" or 20.5"
    By davittc2001 in forum Marin
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 12:24 PM
  2. WTB difference btwn Frequency "Race" and "Team" ?
    By mtmoriah in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 08:05 AM
  3. Bontrager XR3 2.3" Team Issue
    By F29Lefty in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-30-2015, 10:52 AM
  4. Light "click" or "snap" or "clunk" when pressing down hard on pedals
    By VFXterra in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •