Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To XR3 or not.

mtbr member

To XR3 or not.

So I'm picking up the new 12 EX8 soon and contemplating wether to keep the Bonty XR3's that came on the bike and run them tubeless or swap them out for something different. Possibly XR4's.. Maybe Maxxis. Any experiences and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I ride NE typical mix of hardpack single to techy rocky decents to forrest trails. I need something all around.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I hated mine I had on. Rode them once and switched back to my specialized captains. Going to ride these until they wear out then going to Kenda Nevegals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    I hated mine I had on. Rode them once and switched back to my specialized captains. Going to ride these until they wear out then going to Kenda Nevegals.
    Yeah.. I'm worried about that. Thinking I might try the maxxis ignitors as a few guys at my LBS swear by them. Either that or give the XR4's a try. Anyone feel one is better than the other?

I'd rather be riding
    I mean I'd run the xr3's first and give them a shot unless your lbs is willing to swap out when you buy, I'f they would I'd spring for xr4's. But what do I know I run xr2's and love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    What did you hate about your XR3's?

I'm considering trying an XR3 up front. I currently have XR2's which I love as a rear tire but I need something a little more aggressive for the front. I think an XR4 might be to much for the tree rooted hard pack clay soil trails I ride. Plus I'm concerned about rolling resistance. I hoping the XR3/XR2 combination will be perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I liked 'em on my EX.. Seemed to work good at a lower psi on the wet rooty rocky stuff, plus they are light and roll well.... Might be an ok weight weenie tire @ 535g for a 2.3...
    The XR3 in a 2.2 is skinny compared to a 2.2 XR4... Would I buy a pair? Probably not, but I liked them.... Just my .02
    Last edited by scottwest; 12-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    XR3's suck... get the new XR4's and you'll never look back..
    Bontrager: XR4 (Model #09476)

I run a 2.35 at 28psi on the front and a 2.20 at 30psi in the rear on my EX and have never felt more confident in the corners....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Doesn't the 12 ex8 come with XR4's? Mine did, and I have no complaints with them so far. Equal to my maxxis high rollers that are on my old bike. Haven't converted them to tubless yet but plan to do so soon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    +1 on the new xr4's. My new favorite tire. I had the old version, wore them out and tried other brands. I have the 2.2 on a 2011 remedy.

mtbr member
    My 12 ex8 came with the xr3's.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Depends on your conditions. I didn't like them at first, let the pressure down to 28 to 30 and now they work great. Not spectacular on wet roots/rocks, but pretty good all around and roll really well. Just the same, after the review in the new mba, I ordered a set of xr4 team issues.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    my remedy came with xr3s... terrible. Why would you know that xr3s are so bad and want to buy xr4s? Get a nevegal or an sworks eskar... knobby nic? Bontrager tires are like specialized suspension. It sucks. iv used bontrager tires and spesh suspension... given up on both.... fox susp, and ANY tire but bontrager.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Have you tried xr4's? A lot of people are saying they are great. Including those that rode xr3's...
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    If you bought a chevy truck and it blew up, would you go buy a different chevy model or would you get something that you know is decent like a Toyota. Like George bush the articulate poet of public speaking tried to say" fool me once shame on you, fool me twice sham on me".....

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Believe me, I see your point. However, things can change and I hope you are wrong. I will let you guys know soon enough. I have use nevegals, small blocks, wolverines and xr3s, so I can give a good gauge on where the xr4s sit. I am not a bontrager fan, but have heard many good reviews on this tire from other non-bontrager fans.

And fwiw, I would never buy a Chevy or Toyota!
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    No Toyota!? Awe come on!.... It's ok I have a jeep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    So I'm picking up the new 12 EX8 soon and contemplating wether to keep the Bonty XR3's that came on the bike and run them tubeless or swap them out for something different. Possibly XR4's.. Maybe Maxxis. Any experiences and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I ride NE typical mix of hardpack single to techy rocky decents to forrest trails. I need something all around.

Thanks guys!
    Hey i got the 2012 Trek EX 8 and XR3 on the bike suck i'm looking to get rid of them i also ride the same type of trail and all i did was slip and slide (wet leaves, hardpack, and also rocky) couldn't get a grip going up hill so i don't know how better the XR4's but i'm willing to trying anything i was also told to look into kenda, and also schwalbe

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to run the 3's til spring and probably swap them out for... Something. I've spent too much as it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i hear ya i'm going to do the same thing

mtbr member
    Can one of you guys with 2.20 xr3's tell me what the Global Measuring System (GMS) number is on the sidewall? It's located just after the nominal tire size. It will look something like 26 x 2.20 (xx/xx).
    If anyone has 2.30 I'm curious what that number is too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro S View Post
    Can one of you guys with 2.20 xr3's tell me what the Global Measuring System (GMS) number is on the sidewall? It's located just after the nominal tire size. It will look something like 26 x 2.20 (xx/xx).
    If anyone has 2.30 I'm curious what that number is too.
    26 x 2.20 56/50

mtbr member
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bought a 2012 ex7 and it came with xr3's instead of 4's. Think I want to get rid of them and try something else as well.

mtbr member
    Just got some xr4's, well impressed, very similar ride to the nobby nics.
    Trek Top Fuel - Santa Cruz Blur -Chinese FLYXII 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    XR4s are outstanding tires. I was able to get my lbs to swap the xr3 for xr4s when I bought my 2012 Fuel EX 8. I run them tubeless. They are exceptionally grippy and practically indestructible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast