mtbr member
    Nov 2006

XPOST: 07 EX9 or 08 EX8?

i also posted this in the 'what bike to buy' forum, but i wanted to get some trek owner's opinions as well.

i'm about to move into the 21st century and get a full squish with disc brakes (I'm currently riding a 97 litespeed unicoi) and since i don't get a chance to buy a new bike very often, i want some opinions.

here are the vital stats:

i'm 6', 165lbs, and i want a trail bike that i can also use to do some xc racing (i still plan on racing the unicoi on the fast, smooth stuff) and endurance events. my budget tops out at $3k.

here is what i'm considering:

2007 trek fuel ex 9 (new from lbs for $2k after team discount) plus an I9 enduro wheelset.
    pros: great bang to buck, i can get it now.
    cons: not the latest and greatest.

2008 trek fuel ex 8, will probably come to about $2k after discount, but that's just speculation since it isn't out yet.
    pros: new suspension tech, 2008 components.
    cons: not fully tested, have to wait for it, component spec won't be as nice as the ex9 (brochure says all lx).

2007 titus motolite 2
    pros: it's a titus motolite.
    cons: no lifetime warranty, component spec won't be as sweet as the trek, won't have the money for I9's for a long time.

other info:
    lbs deals in trek, fisher, and titus and i will definitely be buying from them.

so, with all of that said, i'd like to hear some opinions and suggestions.

mtbr member
    I dont know really what to say other than I love my EX8.. I would easily do some racing on this bike if I wanted to, it does not feel heavy, yet is confidence inspiring on any of the big stuff. I ride more stuff on this bike than I ever would on my old Trek 8000 HT.

I dont know anything about Titus bikes, but I would not hesitate to recommend an EX series especially if you can get the 07 cheap. I can't see the design change for 08 being as big as the 06/07 jump, so the 07 version is still a safe bet IMO.

I love my EX8 and I take it everywhere. I upgraded the Deore shifters to XT and threw on a carbon bar. THe rest is pretty much stock aside from my tire selection and handlegrips. The thing is a tank, bulletproof so far.

Hope this helps!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    i agree. this is a hard decision. how long until the 08 comes out? will you have an opportunity to see the 07 ex9 next to the 08 ex8? i hear the new suspension is very good. it should be lighter, a little more plush, but also better braking performance.

that said, its not like my 07 ex8 isnt great in those 3 categories anyways. its just getting better.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    well, i pulled the trigger on the 07 ex9. now that the 08's are around the corner, the retail on the ex9 dropped to $2k, which after team discount was $1550, so i added on some shiny bits: a thomson post and stem, chris king headset and replaced the lx front derailleur with xt. with tax it's at $1950, which, no matter how nice the 08 suspension is, is such a smoking deal that there is no chance of regret.

now to think about some race wheels.

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slip
    well, i pulled the trigger on the 07 ex9. now that the 08's are around the corner, the retail on the ex9 dropped to $2k, which after team discount was $1550, so i added on some shiny bits: a thomson post and stem, chris king headset and replaced the lx front derailleur with xt. with tax it's at $1950, which, no matter how nice the 08 suspension is, is such a smoking deal that there is no chance of regret.

I think that wa a no brainer on your part......I can't imagine the 08 is going to be so drastically different that it would be better than the EX9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am looking into getting a Fuel EX 8...My lbs said he would sell me a brand new EX8 for $2K is that a good deal?? I am trying to decide between the EX8 and a Superlight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh2005
    I am looking into getting a Fuel EX 8...My lbs said he would sell me a brand new EX8 for $2K is that a good deal?? I am trying to decide between the EX8 and a Superlight
    Those are relatively different bikes, IIRC the Superlight is a full on XC bike, the EX8 is in between an all mountain/XC bike... If I were compare the EX8 to something from Santa Cruz, I'd compare it to a Heckler, or Blur LT.

If you want to take your bike places that the Superlight won't go, go for the EX8...
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slip

That is a realy sweet deal. $1950 is what I paid for my 07 EX8 last October.I like the suspension on 07 EX's they are versitle ,easy to maintain and so far dependable.
    The stock headsets on the EX8 was junk .I put a Cane Creek Solos on mine .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

no question, the 08

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS has dropped the price on the 07 EX8 to $1499. I'm guessing thats at least a grand off of the 08 price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekboy79
    My LBS has dropped the price on the 07 EX8 to $1499. I'm guessing thats at least a grand off of the 08 price.
    Close. 07's are a great improvement over the 06 design, so going with an 07 should be no worries whatsoever. The 08's look nice but I can't see how it could be worth spending so much more.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    get the '07 with the I9 wheelset

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ironic, I have been riding an 07 EX9 for a few months now. I had ridden very XC race oriented bikes until now. I love it, the only changes I am looking at are the ones you have done or are planning. New Thomson post and stem, King HS, carbon riser, and i9's. One thing I think that will help the transition (it did me), the riser (which was new to me), was not really wide, so the handling was still in the same ballpark. Also, the Talas is nice for when I am doing flat training miles.

Enjoy.