mtbr member
    May 2007

X-Cal vs. Stache 7: Discuss

Yeah, so I don't race, and I don't huck, I like going fast and taking small jumps. These two bikes are about $50 apart. And while I've had a chance to demo the X-Cal several times, it seems demos will be bringing out the 8 and not the 7.

They both have standouts, the Stache has a better frame and more of the updated standards, the X-Cal has a better fork and some better components. What do you guys think?

Overall I think the Stache is a bit sexier, but I love the Reba fork. That's the major sticking point for me.

mtbr member
    I have an X-cal and love it. But the Stache has a lot of upgrades including Alph Platinum Aluminum. I would get the Stache.
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

mtbr member
    The Stache is a trail bike whereas the X-cal is more of a cross country bike.

I believe that the geometry and design of the Stache is to be a trail bike to tear through the rougher terrain. Whereas the X-cal is more of an XC bike.

If you want something that is going to be really fun I would say go with the Stache.

mtbr member
    The Stache Rocks! - but the gearing is too high for me and the trails I ride. Hate to put another $100 in chainrings right off the bat.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    If you put a 100mm fork to 80mm Gary fisher HT model of 2008-9-10 slackening the HTA of 1deg you ll have an alpha platinum (platinum series 6066) and so close if not the same in numbers geo of stache with little shorter chainstays and standover with 20mm travel less !?!! : p

http://forums.mtbr.com/8812198-post7.html
    Last edited by ocean_29; 08-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have an '11 x-cal and am going to remove the spacer in the reba to make it 120mm travel. I think it will then be essentially just like a stache with a 3x10 drivetrain. reba fork has been great so far!......not in love with the sram stuff though....lots of shifting issues and seems to have problems staying dialed in after constant bike shop adjustments......

I hate that name.
    I would say that your Xcal will be more like an Xcal with longer fork travel than it will be like a Stache. Not a bad thing if you'd like more travel and a slacker HA, but definitely not 'essentially just like a Stache'. There is more going on there than just the longer fork.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I have to agree. As much as I love my '11 X-cal I haven't been that impressed with the drive train. And I'm trying to decide what in Shimano would be the equal to the X7 Sram. But I'll probably change out to either SLX or XT .
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with SLX, in my opinion. Have it on my Fuel EX and havent had any problems with it. Not a homer or anything, but I really don't like SRAM drivetrains or brakes. AVID's and X's have always screwed me.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    X7 is on par with SLX... X9 = XT.... X0 kinda XTR and XX... well... whatever.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the imput and sorry to rob the thread. Really looking at the new Shimano SLX RD-M675 Shadow + along with the 2x10 crank that goes with it. And of course the shifters. One question though. Will the Sram cassette work with them or would I have to have that too.
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

I hate that name.
    Sram and Shimano chains and cassettes are compatible, but some of us think the shifting is better if you match brands with chain and cassette. Some think Shimano shifts better than Sram, and vice versa. Personal preference mainly.

As far as group hierarchy, the consensus seems to be that they don't match up exactly:
    X5---
    ---Deore
    X7---
    ---SLX
    X9---
    ---XT
    X0---
    ---XTR
    XX---

And Avid/Sram hydraulic brakes have a softer/spongy-er feel than Shimano. On a personal note, The new XT brakes are the best I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    seems as if geometry of the stache is virtually the same as all the trek 29er hartails except when you factor in the slightly longer fork, which changes the head angle and the bottom bracket height slightly......no major shortening of the top tube or shorter chain stays.......would like to have the shimano 2x10 and the shimano brakes though on the stache 8!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks like the seat tube is shorter, and it looks like there is more hydroforming of the tubes (plus the bump to alpha platinum). The geometry is definitely similar, but I imagine there's a significant difference in feel between the two.

I hate that name.
    CS length and ST angle are the same, ETT is almost the same. If it were the same geometry with a 20mm taller fork, these numbers would be different. Thru axles vs QRs and tapered headtube vs straight will affect the handling as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like the through axles on Stache since I'm 255 pounds but was wondering if the duster 28 hole wheels can support some my weight. Any large riders use these wheels before?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's another thread on the dusters. I'm sure they'll be fine.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/bo...ms-372179.html

I hate that name.
    28h Dusters will be just fine for your weight as long as you're not hucking. Just keep an eye on them at first. They may need touching up after you get a few miles on them which is common for the stock machine built wheels. I have significant time on both 32h and 28h Dusters, with my weight up and down between 250-280. My 32s have all been handbuilt (by me) but the 28s I currently use as training wheels on my racey bike were the stock wheels on an '11 RF1. Dusters are one of my favorite rims- not extremely heavy, fairly durable, and super easy to run tubeless using the Bontrager system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wish they made the stache when I bought my bike last year! I would have gotten the Stache 8. I ended up with a left over 2011 Fuel EX8 at a price i could not pass up. I agree the about the SRAM stuff. I just never felt comfortable with their shifting. As for my Elixer 5 brakes they are fine. I did demo a cannondale with SLX brakes and loved them! And the XT are supposed to be better. The SLX stuff seems to be a really solid group. Not the most advanced or lightest but you dont cry if you snag and brake a rear derailer.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Just got a Stache 8 Frameset, can not wait to build it up.

I hate that name.
    Mine will be here Tuesday. The boss's showed up yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised by the color, I thought it was a gunmetal paint- but the clear over polished al is much better looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Just got a Stache 8 Frameset, can not wait to build it up.
    How much are the two different framesets? Did you weigh the frame?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm gonna derail my own thread. Yesterday a shop near me posted they were selling their demos, and I picked up a flawless 2012 Superfly 100 AL for the same price as the '13 X-Cal/Staches I was looking at. First new bike in 10 years. I'm stupid excited.

Back on topic, there's a Trek demo nearby Oct 6, and I'm still looking forward to riding the Stache and following your builds.