Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

No good wtf is with the 69er....

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1048600&f=17

i feel like it would be such a killer bike if only it was 29/29...

i dont think i'd ever get a 26/29. the componentry is great though!

what are your guys thoughts?
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1048600&f=17

i feel like it would be such a killer bike if only it was 29/29...

i dont think i'd ever get a 26/29. the componentry is great though!

what are your guys thoughts?
    A 26" hardtail with classic geometry can be converted to a 96er. You'd have to use a disc compatible 26" rigid fork to avoid problems with making the front end too slack. There are lots of posts on this bike setup here but the general consensus seems to be you'll either love it or hate it. Give it a try and decide if you like it.

mtbr member

It is a convertable

It will do the standard 29er thing. At least that is what I was told.

mtbr member
    then why not have both wheels be larger and roll better....and only have to worry about one size tube...

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    then why not have both wheels be larger and roll better....
    Lower CG and more traditional sight picture, in my opinion....

Bikes!
    I personally love the idea of a Trek 69er, just wish they were in greater supply in the UK...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    i do think it is one sexual looking bike. i LOVE the fork and frame color.

but damn, if it was 29/29 i'd be all over one.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member

They already have one

then why not have both wheels be larger and roll better....and only have to worry about one size tube...
    It is called a Rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job!

i do think it is one sexual looking bike. i LOVE the fork and frame color.

but damn, if it was 29/29 i'd be all over one.
    rides awsome, perfect desert rig,huge cockpit

"Its All Good"
    quottro, have you ridden one, or are you giving the thumbs down on looks alone?

From the small amount I have read, it gets quite good reviews.......WTF...LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    lool just my initial reaction to the model. i was quite confused as everyone else is coming out with 29er rigs and trek makes one with just a 29 in front. of course how it rides dictates how good a ride it is. it is good looking.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The whole 29" wheel revolution is simple - Marketing. Mountain Bike action had a shoot out last summer between two exact model bikes - one a 26" and one a 29". The test riders overall selected the 26".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dignityy
    The whole 29" wheel revolution is simple - Marketing. Mountain Bike action had a shoot out last summer between two exact model bikes - one a 26" and one a 29". The test riders overall selected the 26".
    So you dismiss the preference of thousands and thousands of riders based on the preferences of a magazine's test riders?

Dignityy, if anyone is guilty of falling victim to marketing, it's you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nice try, ask yourself who brought the 29" wheel to the market. The point of the article was driving home the point that bike manufactures will make changes to drive sales not necessarily better performance. Another example would be the 31.8mm bars and stems trend, yes they look cool but give no better performances gains.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The point of the article was driving home the point that bike manufactures will make changes to drive sales not necessarily better performance.
    Strong sales and better performance are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Another example would be the 31.8mm bars and stems trend, yes they look cool but give no better performances gains.
    Incorrect. A 31.8 bar/stem interface provides greater surface area between the stem and the handlebar. Greater surface area results in less slippage.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Correct me if I wrong, but a larger diameter tube provides more strength. Isn't that one of the big gains in today's two-piece cranks? Now we have proper sized bearings that don't get chewed up and we also have solid BB axles. I recall C-dale owners spouting the advantages of their Lefties because of the 1.5" headtube (but don't get me started on those things...).

I've heard all the hype about the 29ers and I believe it, to a point. Just like the original Genesis Geometry, 29ers work really well for some people - not most people. Which is why the 29er movement will always be more of a sideshow. Shallower angle of attack - true. Larger footprint - true. Significantly more weight - true. Slower acceleration/low-speed handling - true (adding a 26" rear wheel helps this in case quatrokid is still wondering).

Gary Fisher, as I recall, is a tall guy. The changes he made with G1 works for him. 29ers work really well for big people. The rest of us average riders - besides looking better - are more at home with the standard stuff.

It's a fun debate, though, right?
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    About the 69er, it is supposed to have the acceleration of a 26" bike, and the supurb roll over stuffness of your favorite 29er. All with single speed simplicity... can you tell I sell this stuff. So that is the line that we were fed on the 69er, I agree that it is a beautiful bike. A little hard on the wallet for a singly, but hella nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mountain Bike action
    nuff said...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Y
    About the 69er, it is supposed to have the acceleration of a 26" bike, and the supurb roll over stuffness of your favorite 29er. All with single speed simplicity... can you tell I sell this stuff. So that is the line that we were fed on the 69er, I agree that it is a beautiful bike. A little hard on the wallet for a singly, but hella nice.
    I second your view.... at close to $600, converting an old Gary Fisher steel hardtail into a 69er made it a different bike. It just rolls faster and is a sweet ride. Don't let the wheel differentials put you off to trying it out. I love mine!

mtbr member
    okay okay i get it now. i do love the fork and color scheme. how much are they being sold for at shops? less than the Trek site? i know i got my Ex8 much cheaper than Trek MSRP.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I dunno how it rides, but I saw one the other day at my LBS and think it looks kick-ass. I would love to give it a spin.
    '06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LO-TrEK
    I dunno how it rides, but I saw one the other day at my LBS and think it looks kick-ass. I would love to give it a spin.
    They ride very nicely. To me, it feels like I'm sitting IN the bike, rather than ON TOP of the bike. I like that...one of my chief complaints of 29ers is the higher center of gravity and different sight perspective.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

okay okay i get it now. i do love the fork and color scheme. how much are they being sold for at shops? less than the Trek site? i know i got my Ex8 much cheaper than Trek MSRP.
    1499 for mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    29ers do not necessarily have a higher center of gravity. A high center of gravity on a 29er is a geometry design thing. Fisher 29ers EFFECTIVELY lower your center of gravity compared to a 26". Sorry to pick on u Whiskey, but I hate to hear that generalized, uninformed statement that all 29ers have a higher center of gravity.

If the bb is the same height off the ground as a 26 then your COG is the same in relation to the ground, but if you throw a bigger wheel on, you effectively lower your COG in relation to the gyroscopes.

Depending on the geometry of the bike a 29er may or may not have a higher COG than whatever bike you want to compare it to, but even if the bb is a little higher than a 26, you may still have effectively lowered your COG.

Got tit?
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lew s lugnut
    if you throw a bigger wheel on, you effectively lower your COG in relation to the gyroscopes.
    The problem I have with 29ers isn't the CG relative to the gyroscopes....it's the CG relative to the ground.

Basing the definition of CG on the location of gyroscopes may be a commonly-accepted definition of CG among the 29er community, but I don't think it's correct or as relevant....especially at slower speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast