mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Is It Worth Upgrading from 6" to 8" Brakes??

[SIZE="3"]For the extra cost is it worth going to bigger breaks? And does it make that much of a difference? Also someone told me that not all bikes are compatible with bigger brakes. I ride a new 6700 with a tora 318 fork, if anyone knows if this compatible let me know.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    On a hardtail XC bike, definitely not. You don't want too much stopping power because you'll be locking up the rear all the time. If you want to spend some dough, go for a really good set of six inchers (what do you currently have?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Avid Juicy 3's

mtbr member
    Well, dunno what kind of money you have to spend, but you could easily upgrade to Juicy 5/7/carbon/ultimate.

Juicy 3s are OEM, meaning they only come on bikes and you cant buy them separately.

I think that if you put 8" discs on your ride, you'd absolutely despise them. Just my opinion though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, actually the juicy 7's look pretty sweet and not too bad on ebay. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Keep what you have, seriously.

I had 160's on my bike before my new bike, and now it has a 185 up front, I am not really sure its any major benefit unless you are doing some major descents. If you had a big all mountain 30 pound bike and you rode in BC I would maybe recommend upgrading, but for a 6700 that is otherwise stock, definitely not required.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    bigger isn't necessarily better, I'd go with the best, XTR components

mtbr member
    Consider up grading brk pads or going to some good hydros before going bigger on the rotor. Bigger rotor will be way too much.
    Bikeless Rider

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    On the front wheel, larger rotors do provide more power because of the weight transfer onto the wheel the moment you apply the brakes (whether riding uphill, level or downhill, momentum shifts weight forwards regardless of which brake you applied). This is why there's a rule of thumb of 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brake. Larger rotors in back make little sense because again, the weight transfer unloads the back wheel, reducing traction and the ability of braking the wheel without sliding/skidding. This just gets worse when you're riding downhill and larger rear rotors are really only done out of a need for fashion on bicycles (you don't see it done with other vehicles including motorcycles though).

If you look at XTR components as an example, they now offer 140mm rear rotors as an option, because it doesn;'t take that much leverage to lock the rear wheel up, and once its locked its skidding anyways. So if you can do it with a 140mm rotor... you obviously don't need the extra weight/cost of a larger size 160mm rotor right?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread