mtbr member

Will this dent affect the strength of the frame?

Just got a new, but used and fed-ex seemed to of dented the frame. Will this dent be a big concern for structure integrity. The dent is under the ISH under the "fisher" name.

Thanks, Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Damn, if fed-ex did that crap to my frame I'd be looking to have them reimburse you for it. Are you sure it was fed-ex not the seller? I would hope though..........REALLY hope, you were smart enough to put shipping insurance on that bike seeing as it probably cost more than just a few dollars. I would call fed-ex and see what can be done about it. I dunno if it will have a substantial effect on the frame's structural integrity or not. It's hard to see how deep the dent is from the pics. But I would think any dent is gonna have at least some effect on the structure of the frame.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    I called the seller and he called fed-ex. Fed-ex will be here tomorrow to examine to box and bike to determine if the damages were caused during transit. Crossing fingers

work to ride to work
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    But I would think any dent is gonna have at least some effect on the structure of the frame.
    Yep, definitely some effect.
    It's hard to tell from the picture how deep it is, though. If possible, maybe you should run it by the LBS and see what they think before FedEx gets there. You should probably be ready to decide what you'd be willing to take as compensation from FedEx or the seller vs. returning it.

-BD

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    keep us updated on this...
    you know if they reimburse you they will probably take frame from you and you will need to get another

Unchained Freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    I would hope though..........REALLY hope, you were smart enough to put shipping insurance on that bike seeing as it probably cost more than just a few dollars. I would call fed-ex and see what can be done about it.

I have seen more the a few damaged bikes in my time working as a courier,and I know that most of the time,if the UPS/Fedex/DHL insurance examiner even thinks its a used frame or bike,the max they will dish out is 100 USD to cover any and all damages done.Its shocking,but quite common.Unless you have a big corp account,and bring BIG business there way,you are most likely to be shafted.Most of the time,they will not tell you this upfront when you are paying for the insurance on that used 500,700,1100,1900,or 3350 dollar bike you want shipped from point A to point B.This slimy behaviour is NOT limited to house owners in the South,who believed insurance would help them when katrina swept away there long time hard worked for home.NEVER buy insurance from the courier,if the bike is worth more then 100 USD,ALWAYS go with a third party carrier,especially if its a boutique high zoot big dollar item.
    The Trail Never Ends.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I think it's risky business buying a bike off ebay anyway though. I have made plenty of purchases off ebay, and I'll make plenty more, but never a bike. Something like that, I would need to physically see before I shell out that kind of money. There are just too many moving parts on a bike and anything could be wrong with it. Fed-ex is going to definitely try and blame the seller I think. Hopefully that is not the case and you get reimbursed for your purchase.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Fed-ex was here, but didn't inspect the bike. The guy was actually a 3rd party for fed-ex. I had to repack the bike and ship it back to the person i bought it from. Fed-ex will examine the bike and box at his store and will determine if i get a full refund or a partial refund.

Unchained Freewheel

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Smw72
    Fed-ex was here, but didn't inspect the bike. The guy was actually a 3rd party for fed-ex. I had to repack the bike and ship it back to the person i bought it from. Fed-ex will examine the bike and box at his store and will determine if i get a full refund or a partial refund.

I wish you luck Smw72,and hope for the best in your troubles.Was the box the bike came in,punctured or damaged when it arrived? If not...
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Something like this happened out of my bike shop. Fedex tried to play us for like a month and a half and eventually we got them to cave.

They are seriously sheisty when it comes to this sort of thing.