mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Wife's new Fuel EX 8

I just bought my wife a new Trek Fuel EX 8, size 15.5. She loves the bike and did great on her first ride. However, the frame is a tad too big for her. But since the WSD models are so poorly spec'd, we decided to pull the trigger and get her the men's small (15.5"), and make some minor adjustments.

After her first ride, she was complaining that the frame seemed too big. When comparing her 15.5" to my Medium Specialized Epic (17"?), the Trek is bigger (less standover height). Upon further examination, I noticed a big "17" painted on the frame at the bottom of the downtube by the bottom bracket. I freaked out and thought the shop sold me a 17.5" frame, marked as a 15.5". When we got home from our first ride, I measured the frame and it is exactly 15.5" from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post.

So my question... what the hell does the "17" mean on the frame?

mtbr member
    my frame is a large but it had a sticker on that said virtual 19.5" fuel ex actual 18.5. i dunno what this means but i bought the bike as a large 19.5" it fits fine so i didnt worry about it much. but i am curious what this means.
    '07 Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    my frame is a large too, and it has that 30/17 thing at the bottom too right between the water bottle cage and rear shock... I actually have no idea what that means.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Keep in mind that her bike has an inch more travel on both ends than your Epic. 15.5" is apparently accurate for the frame size, but the standover height is the problem here.

I'm 5'9 and when I stand over my 17.5" EX8 I have to be careful to not crowd my boys. When I'm riding it feels fine. My solution is to keep riding as much as possible.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Keep in mind that her bike has an inch more travel on both ends than your Epic. 15.5" is apparently accurate for the frame size, but the standover height is the problem here.

I'm 5'9 and when I stand over my 17.5" EX8 I have to be careful to not crowd my boys. When I'm riding it feels fine. My solution is to keep riding as much as possible.
    Thanks guys for your help! Thirdrawn - I agree with you, it's more of a standover issue.

Funny, I've talked to several other people who have their wives on the same bike and size (15.5) with the same issue of limited standover height. I think it's just something that will take a little adjustment and getting use to. I think her problem is a little amplified too since she's accustomed to riding a 14" hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5"2' and I went from a 14" giant trance to the 15.5 Fuel because that was the smallest they offered for the 9.0. Big difference as you may know that Trance has unbelievable standover. Yeah, it's snug up to my yoohoo when the fork is extended all the way, but I figure I just need to stay on the bike. I've only ridden it twice but I can tell you that baby climbs like a dream.