mtbr member

Who's riding an Fuel EX 29er

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a EX9 29er. Haven't been able to find any reviews. Who's riding one? What do you think?

mtbr member

Re: Who's riding an Fuel EX 29er

I have an ex8 29er and I love the bike. I would have gotten the 9 but it was just more than I was comfortable with having so little time on them beforehand. If I had to do it all again I would absolutely buy the same bike again or the 9 for sure. No complaints aside from the lack of tubeless on the ex8 from trek direct. I had to pick up the rim strips and sealant myself. 17.5 weighed 28lbs with reflectors chain guard and tubes in tires before pedals. It climbs like crazy and the suspension leaves me with no complaints. The only thing that I've found iffy is the tires. Not tubless ready and a bit weak in steep climbs when it's a bit damp. I do wish I had the rhythm wheel set as it has been on my other bike for a few years and has been excellent in terms of reliability and durability, and I'm rough on the bike and 230lbs or so fwiw. The only stupid thing so far is the fox iPhone app. The trek suspension calculator is much closer to what I needed. The fox app was absolutely useless somehow, and the bike was awful, so I can only reccomend the trek suspension calculator page. Hope you like it like I do mine if you get one!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ordered an EX9, hopefully arriving this week, but haven't ridden one yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I picked up an EX8 29er yesterday afternoon. I have ridden a regular EX8 since 2008 and loved the bike. I broke a swingarm about a month ago and Trek is having a hard time getting a replacement, my bike shop gave me a good amount of trade in on the 2008 bike.

I rode the 29er around the parking lot a few times, bounced around in the field a little bit and took it over some curbs. I was sold in minutes.

I was only able to put about two miles on it yesterday afternoon - family duties came first. I'm dying to take the thing out, it is a gorgeous bike. It shifts and brakes like a dream and the suspension feels really great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll have mine on Wednesday. :-) I was stuck trying to decide between the EX7,8 or 9 and decided to go with the 7 just to get the color. I'm having the shop install XT shifters, brakes, crankset and rear derailleur so I'll have the component spec of the 9 in the color I wanted.

mtbr member

I'm not Crazy about the appearance of the 9 either. But I don't buy bikes for the looks.

mtbr member

Re: Who's riding an Fuel EX 29er

Quote Originally Posted by smcnees View Post
    I'll have mine on Wednesday. :-) I was stuck trying to decide between the EX7,8 or 9 and decided to go with the 7 just to get the color. I'm having the shop install XT shifters, brakes, crankset and rear derailleur so I'll have the component spec of the 9 in the color I wanted.
    Did you pick up the 142 rear through axle conversion at the same time? I believe the 7 doesn't come standard with it like the 8 and up do right?
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had gone back and forth between the 8, 9, and 9.7. I couldn't take the neon green on the 7, otherwise any of the colors were fine for me. I had actually ordered the 8 and was going to upgrade the cranks to 2x10 XT, but then changed my mind when I re-looked the spec. The FIT damper fork on the 9 is a good bit lighter than the evolution that comes on the others and the all XT build with a stealth dropper was all good. I have a real nice dropper that I could have added (KS Lev), but even though I don't think the Reverb is as nice, having the stealth routing is better so I will probably keep that and sell the LEV with the bike it is on now. I bash the heck out of my bach ring so I will need to figure out something to protect the outer ring on the 2x10, and 38 seems REALLY tall for that bike, but other than that the spec seems perfect.

Bikes!
    I test rode an EX9 a few weeks back and it seriously got me thinking about whether or not I should keep my order in place for my Yeti. It is a fantastic bike and if you get one, you will love every minute of ownership.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have had my EX8 29er for just over a month now. It has been a great bike. Yes the FOX suspension app was not very usefull. I go by treks calculator. I like how the bike rails the corners. I upgraded to a 2X10 SLX crank. I came of a 2011 EX 8. Trek only includes the tubeless rim strips on the bikes with the higher end wheels. No big deal as they are only $10 each. Just have the dealer throw in a tubeless on the deal.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I gout out on my ex8 tonight. A little over 2 miles on gravel pathway to some in-town singletrack that the local community has maintained over the years.

The bike is a dream. The suspension is unbelievable. Braking is great, shifting is great...i can't get over how nice it pedals and just rolls right over anything. I can't get over how smooth the ride is. The whole time I was on it I never wanted to stop it felt so nice.

This bike rides how I always thought full suspension mountain bikes should.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 2012 Rumblefish pro, have got my eyes on one of these as a possible upgrade some time down the track ,

Would love to hear from any rumblefish owners who have upgraded to the Fuel ex 29er , as to how they compare.

mtbr member

For those of you with the ex 8 29er, are the stock rotors centerlock or 6-bolt?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    6 bolt non ice tech.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    I just got the 2014 EX 7 29er last Sunday. It's the first time I've ridden a full suspension bike, so I had no idea what to expect. I must say, this thing is awesome! I'm not faster on it than a hardtail, but I definitely feel safer on the rough stuff...even did some logovers that I was always scared to try before.

Here's the video:
    Logzilla, Mountain Goat, and Corkscrew - YouTubeB

BTW, I went tubeless with Maxxis Ardent on front and Ignitor on the rear...before taking it out of the shop. Those stock tires/tubes just suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oopsthathurt View Post
    I just got the 2014 EX 7 29er last Sunday. It's the first time I've ridden a full suspension bike, so I had no idea what to expect. I must say, this thing is awesome! I'm not faster on it than a hardtail, but I definitely feel safer on the rough stuff...even did some logovers that I was always scared to try before.

Here's the video:
    Logzilla, Mountain Goat, and Corkscrew - YouTubeB

BTW, I went tubeless with Maxxis Ardent on front and Ignitor on the rear...before taking it out of the shop. Those stock tires/tubes just suck.
    When some say they are faster on a HT I wonder if they are using actual time or "just feel faster" on the HT? Good suspension should allow you to ride faster......it may feel fast being bounced around.

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz View Post
    When some say they are faster on a HT I wonder if they are using actual time or "just feel faster" on the HT? Good suspension should allow you to ride faster......it may feel fast being bounced around.
    I use Strava. My average speed was only .2 MPH faster on some favorite trail sections, and max speed was 4 MPH slower. Can't say it was the bike...more likely just not being used to it yet (only put 60-something miles on it so far).

mtbr member
    I have the Fuel ex 9 29 and I fricken love it. I came off a 2013 Superfly 100 Al Pro and although I would say that bike may be a bit faster on cross country style riding everything else is better for me on the Fuel. The suspension is way more plush. It has everything I loved about my 26er fuel I had a couple years ago but now it rolls over EVERYTHING! Also the dropper post has changed how I ride a lot, I am much faster on the descents and I feel like I can move the bike around much better.

Good luck with your purchase!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After a lot of thinking I finally went for a Fuel Ex 8 29er a couple of weeks ago upgrading from a Trek 4900 hard tail and after a few decent runs with it I'm absolutely delighted with it. I was initially against the idea of a full suspension bike as I wasn't a big downhill person and I noticed in group rides that the full suspension riders always seemed to have to work a lot harder on climbs and smoother trails. However I managed to get on an excellent test ride weekend where you could try a variety of bikes for a small fee (no Treks sadly though) over the same course which was fantastic to compare different wheel sizes, suspension, stems, handlebars etc. I was amazed at how stable and confidence inspiring the full suspension bikes were downhill and found 120mm seemed a good sweet spot so ordered up the Fuel Ex 8.

I find performance when climbing and on not too rough level trails to be no worse than the hard tail which is what I was concerned about, downhill is much easier as the bike feels very well planted and stable plus I've been surprised at how much speed I can get out of it on rough terrain. On the hard tail I found I would pedal for a bit then coast the bike while it was bumpy as it was difficult to pedal, then pedal a bit, coast a bit etc. whereas on the Fuel I can put my weight on the seat and pedal hard and constantly letting the suspension and the bigger wheels soak up the bumps. I find the bigger wheels allow me to switch the suspension to the minimum setting more of the time again helping with speed.

John

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I picked up the new Fuel EX7 29er earlier this summer. Upgraded the seatpost to a Reverb and it feels like "cheating"....it's a great addition for a XC/trail bike, definitely worth it. Came from an 07 Rocky Mtn Slayer and I have to say, it's a million times easier to climb with the EX7. Climbing with the Slayer was doable, but I was always huffing and puffing compared to my mates....now I'm easily able to keep up with the Fuel. The Slayer is still better on the descent though....I've kind of relegated it to the steep technical descents at the bike park. I'm tempted to try the Fuel at the bike park though.....just to try heh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    I have the Fuel ex 9 29 and I fricken love it. I came off a 2013 Superfly 100 Al Pro and although I would say that bike may be a bit faster on cross country style riding everything else is better for me on the Fuel. The suspension is way more plush. It has everything I loved about my 26er fuel I had a couple years ago but now it rolls over EVERYTHING! Also the dropper post has changed how I ride a lot, I am much faster on the descents and I feel like I can move the bike around much better.

Good luck with your purchase!
    Give me detail on this comparison. When rear shock & fork in climb mode does either bike feel more efficient in out of saddle accelerations? I'm trying to decide between a carbon sf100 or Fuel EX29 9.9 for backcountry endurance racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Give me detail on this comparison. When rear shock & fork in climb mode does either bike feel more efficient in out of saddle accelerations? I'm trying to decide between a carbon sf100 or Fuel EX29 9.9 for backcountry endurance racing.
    They both will feel more efficient in the Climb mode with both bikes it basically locks out the suspension. I don't think there will be much in it between the two if they are both in the climb mode. For me the full floating rear suspension is a lot more supple than the superfly's suspension so I would prefer to ride the fuel on an endurance ride. The bike will take a lot more of the abuse than you as the rider. With the right setup you can get either bike pretty darn light so you would be good there. I just feel the fuel is a more well rounded bike.