mtbr member
    May 2007

What's a really good BB and Crankset for my 07' 4300 DISC???

Ok, so I have upgraded the fork from the RST to a ROCK SHOX DART 3. Now I hear ppl saying to upgrade the BB(bottom bracket) and the crank or crankset? Now the question is, what is a really good BB and crank or crankset for a fair price? After this I plan to upgrade the front and rear derailleurs.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrout
    Ok, so I have upgraded the fork from the RST to a ROCK SHOX DART 3. Now I hear ppl saying to upgrade the BB(bottom bracket) and the crank or crankset? Now the question is, what is a really good BB and crank or crankset for a fair price? After this I plan to upgrade the front and rear derailleurs.

For the amount of money that you are dropping in on upgrades.......why didn't you just by a higher model to start with. By swapping all these parts out, you are already up to the price of the 6000.

mtnbikej

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    In my opinion, the upgrade that will give you the most bang for your buck is a new set of wheels. Lower weight and, therefore, less rotational mass translate into more get-up-and-go. However, a set worth getting will cost you a few hundred. Then again, a new crank (the next most noticable upgrade) will run around $100.

The point is, you can probably shave off a lot more weight by upgrading to a nicer wheelset than by upgrading the cranks. If you haven't had any problems with the BB, I wouldn't screw with 'em at this point.

mtnbikej has a good point. You probably spent at least $100 on the fork, you'll probably spend at least that much on new cranks and BB, and the derailleurs will cost you the same.

Save your money and get a nice set of wheels if you absolutely must buy something. You'll notice that performance improvement much more than any of the other upgrades you can get. After you get a new bike, you can switch the stock wheels to the nice wheels you bought and be one upgrade ahead on the new bike.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok well im getting new derailleurs soon for a good price, and since it sounds like a new BB and crank aren't the best upgrade other than the fork to put on the bike, the wheels sound good. Oh, and I bought the 4300 disc because trek was completely sold out of the 6000s and 6500s for this year in the 07 model, and the 08 wont be coming out until mid aug to late aug. I didn't want to wait that long. Plus im new to this whole thing so its a good bike for me. I just wanted the frame. Thats all TREK is, is a frame. But since you said wheels, what wheels would you go with, as it seems you are knowledgeable about this...?

Lionel Hutz, Esq.

Wwtd

I'd go to my LBS and have them price out a set of Mavic 819s mated with something like a Shimano XT hub - LX would be more cost-efficient but they only come in Centerlock and you would need an adapter - with whatever spokes you wanted, straight guage, butted, whatever. Probably end up with a set weighing around 1800 - not bad for XC, you may drop close to half a pound. They might also get you some closeout sets for a good deal.

Then I'd look at some Bontrager sets (or Mavic, whoever) and compare prices. You can get a Bonty Race Disc TL set for about $350 according to Bontrager's website at a weight around 1700g - then you'd have the same wheels as me, I haven't needed to turn one spoke in a truing stand.

Next, I'd look at my tires. Both of those wheels can run tubless, so I would toss some Stan's in there and drop the tubes. Your tires are basic Joneses, you could drop close to half a pound upgrading them to a Jones XR TLR set or Hutchinson Python TRs. 'Course, you're looking at $40 per tire there.

All in all, you'll probably spend $400 on this, but you'll see a huge return on the investment. Much better handling and acceleration. Plus, you can carry these wheels over to a new bike - that Bonty set comes on the 8500 so unless you get that bike, the Race set will be better than your next bike.

I hear ya about the BB, but I know guys who ride that bike who don't have any trouble. If you really want to upgrade, I like the two-piece cranks available nowadays. I'm using a Truvativ Stylo 3.3 GXP on my EX8 which replaced the Shimano LX that came stock. That crank went on my 7000. And I'll admit, I saw a big change - especially on my hardtail. Check out the Truvativ Firex.

Anyway, I have people come into the shop all the time and want exactly what you're saying. They all want to spend $100 every month on small upgrades instead of saving and spending the money saved on a new bike or a really nice and noticeable upgrade. BTW, you'll notice a change in the shifter pods way more than a change in the derailleur - go Deore. I would wait and get the wheels. Have fun. This is why I love bikes - lots of options.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OK well I cant get wheels right now, however i can get both front and rear derailleurs. Which size and exact DEORE derailleurs (front and rear) should i get in order to fit the 07' 4300 Disc with the stock setup? I dont know which size to get nor the other crap...? please help Thirdrawn lol

Also, when i do get a crankset eventually, will the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 GXP fit an 07' Trek 4300 Disc (my bike) because it is an 8-speed?
    Last edited by cdshrout; 05-27-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    All Deore rear derailluers are long cage. The derailleur that you're using is most likely a top-normal (traditional) design rather than a low-normal (Rapid-Rise) so stick with that unless you want your indicator to go backwards - I've seen plenty of people buy derailleurs online for cheap only to have me install them and reveal that they got Rapid-Rise - haha, suckers. I have no idea what the seat tube diameter of the 07 4300 is, but all current Deore front derailleurs use uni-band, meaning they will fit any diameter.

As for the Stylo, it should work on your bike. I would imagine your bike has a 73mm BB so you wouldn't use the spacers included with the crank.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So the Stylo will fit my 8-speed? And it sounds like you mean i cant fit a rear DEORE detrailleur on my bike, however i can fit a front deore derailleur? If I cant fit a rear deore, is there anyway I can or can it fit? Oh, and if this helps to tell whether the deore rear derailleur will fit now, I currently have a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrout
    So the Stylo will fit my 8-speed? And it sounds like you mean i cant fit a rear DEORE detrailleur on my bike, however i can fit a front deore derailleur? If I cant fit a rear deore, is there anyway I can or can it fit? Oh, and if this helps to tell whether the deore rear derailleur will fit now, I currently have a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. Most derailleurs will work on any bike. Very few are specific to a certain kind of setup. A Deore rear derailleur will fit on your bike, my bike, a Walmart bike, a road bike, most any bike.

I mentioned all the low-normal/top-normal crap because sometimes people buy things cheaper off the internet and don't understand what they are buying. If you happen to be doing that, you need to make sure which type you're getting. The derailleur that came stock on your bike is a top-normal (traditional) design but at the Deore level there is an option of a Rapid-Rise design. I'm cautioning you against buying that one because your rear shifter will work backwards - but it would still work. Go to your LBS and ask them to show you a Rapid-Rise and traditional design and you'll see the difference.

In summary, the Shimano Deore derailleur (front or rear) and the Truvativ Stylo will work on your bike. Go for it. Sorry for the confusion.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you have msn or aim man? I appreciate all the help and i may need more lol