mtbr member

What year is this very vintage KLEIN frame??

This frame is a very old Klein, but I'm not a Klein frame expert by any means.

I am hoping that someone can give me an idea just by looking at the decals as to at least a broad year range.

I know its hard to see, but the top sticker says "Attitude" in very retro font. I've only seen Kleins with the smooth cursive font so this is new to me.

Is this collectable at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are all in the gutters, some of us just avoid the cars.

Carsten
    1992 judging from the placement of the Attitude decal close to the head tube and the white outlined Klein decal. 1990 and 1991 frames had teh Attitude decal closer to the seat tube and solid black or white Klein decals. 1993 frames had a thicker down tube and a 31.6mm seat post and the Attitude decal in a different style (and not as a decal but "debossed"). The bar/stem combo is not correct for that frame as is the fork crown. The combo is the 1994 and later MC2 version, originally that frame came with the quill type MC1 version.

Frame size is XL or 22" (according to the way Klein measured the frames). Collectable? Generally yest but not in the given condition and with the "wrong" fork and bar/stem combo. Would make a nice rider if it fits.

Carsten

mtbr member
    Well it has been offered to me for $100 as pictured with Judy XC and mission control parts. Good to know that the original pieces are not on it though. If I bought i and ended up deciding not to build it, cleaned it up, removed all the stickers etc would I be able to get the 100 back on eBay do you think or is it simply a project I wouldnt want to get involved in?
    We are all in the gutters, some of us just avoid the cars.

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by justinboden
    Well it has been offered to me for $100 as pictured with Judy XC and mission control parts. Good to know that the original pieces are not on it though. If I bought i and ended up deciding not to build it, cleaned it up, removed all the stickers etc would I be able to get the 100 back on eBay do you think or is it simply a project I wouldnt want to get involved in?
    $100 is an ok price, not much to loose and you will always get it back, probably more. just check if the frame is not damaged. the most critical area is the seat post clamp. they tend to crack around the welded-on eyelets and at the bottom of the slit. and check if the bottom bracket and head set bearings have no play and turn smoothly. they are pressed in and a bit of a pain to replace and the head set bearings are expensive.

carsten

mtbr member
    I Think its a Mid 90's frame because the BB and handle bars are like my 96 mantra pro I think 96 was the first year that the high end kleins did not have a pressed fit BB in them... Still a good frame for sure.

Also the 22' frames had the attitude in the middle of the frame

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    I Think its a Mid 90's frame because the BB and handle bars are like my 96 mantra pro I think 96 was the first year that the high end kleins did not have a pressed fit BB in them... Still a good frame for sure.

97 was the first year with threaded bb shell. that frame does not have a threaded bb shell, the bb is just not installed.

are you saying that you have a Mantra Pro with press-fit bb?? that would be cool!

the MC2 bar/stem combo on that Attitude is not the original one. originally it had the MC1 quill type bar/stem combo. it is deffo pre-1993 because it has the thin 1.5" down tube.

do you have a pic of a 22" Attitude with the logo in the middle of the top tube?

Carsten

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher

btw, the Mantra Pro on the pics in your gallery is a 97 model (like mine), the 96 models still had the welded-on seat post clamp. nice bike!

Carsten

He be a moose too.
    Actually an easier way to tell that it is a 1990-1993 model is the larger dropouts. That's what jumped out at me. The micro-dropouts came out in 94. Although Carsten, as usual, is correct about the downtube.

Pinguwin