mtbr member

what say you on the Fuel EX5?

hey all this is my first post here. I've been riding a cro-moly 820 for the better part of a decade and i must say it's been a good bike. But i'm getting much more serious in riding and taking on tougher trails. Full suspension is definately the direction i'm going in and my budget is around 1000-1500. I've read some negatives on the EX6 but everything i've heard about the EX5 is great. Expecialy with a few upgrades which i plan to do over the next year. I'll probably be getting one next week but i want to get your opinions on it. Whats the general opinion on these things?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    From my limited experience with bikes and upgrading, I think I would take the money you plan on spending in the next year on upgrades, and put it towards a EX 7 or 8, if you don't like the 6. I have an 06' EX 7 and absolutely love it. That is just my opinion though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames
    From my limited experience with bikes and upgrading, I think I would take the money you plan on spending in the next year on upgrades, and put it towards a EX 7 or 8, if you don't like the 6. I have an 06' EX 7 and absolutely love it. That is just my opinion though.
    the ex7 does look awesome, but for me at the moment it's way out of my price range. $1869.99 not including tax and everything from the store. The 1000-1500 budget for me is pretty much until next year. I'd actually like to wait for one of the 08's but I've been riding 3-4 times a week and it would make my summer so much more enjoyable if i had a better bike. Thats why the ex5 appeals to me. In a years time i can upgrade what i want. Plus i kinda like the blue. It's different from most the others.

catskillclimber
    For what it's worth I've had my EX5 a few months and I absolutely love it. Never a problem. I've changed the pedals and saddle. That's it.

mtbr member
    Hey dude honestly, if its what you like, go for it. It's a sound bike.. Only thing I would suggest would be for an EX-7 cause the suspension is improved over the lower models (EX-6 and below) but other than that, It's your bike, you're riding it, your prefs.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

You got any chocolate?
    Wait a little more until the 2008 models come out and then haggle for a good deal on the 2007 bike you want. Nothing wrong with any of the Fuel models. Some are a little more advance than others, but they are all sound bikes. I have a 2006 model that I would not trade for anything. That's how much I love my bike. Good luck on your new bike.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    i was thinking alittle today about maybe just splurging for the ex7 if it's THAT much better than the ex5. I'd hate to pay that much at the moment but, whats the difference between paying it now and paying it later.... with the ex5 i'll end up changing the saddle, pedals, possibly the suspension after a while. I dont know. Either one has had awesome reviews. Thanks for all the input.

oh and when does the '08 line come out? I'm kinda set on getting a bike within the next 2 weeks because i want to be able to enjoy it this summer. Next summer i'll be bringing it to colorado when i'm going to school out there.

mtbr member
    oh and speaking of colorado. I do plan on doing some xc/downhill there. The 6" of travel that the ex7 gives might be usefull...

Fat guy on a bike
    EX7 is more like 4.7" of travel. Also i've already seen EX7 on sale for 1499.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    EX7 is more like 4.7" of travel. Also i've already seen EX7 on sale for 1499.
    mmm your right my bad.

and if i find it on sale even better. seems like a killer bike for under 2k.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is what I paid for my EX 7. 1500. I got it early this spring as a cary over, and love it.

mtbr member
    i found a 2007 ex7 for 1700 and a 2006 for 1500. I'm going to put them up against a brand new Stumpjumper fsr comp and the Enduro. I really like the Specialized design but we'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just curious, what bad things have you heard about the EX6? I just bought a 2006 barely used one from a guy at a good price. So far I like it, but then I'm upgrading from a 1999 bike!