mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What pedals / tires for newly purchased 2012 Trek X-Cal

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Looking to go tubeless. Also I will be biking with just regular tennis shoes at first so I wont be able to get the clip pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Pedals are mostly a matter of preference but the DMR v8s or Well go MG-1's are highly recommend.

Converting the mustang 29er wheels is very simple with the bontrager rim strips and valves. By far the best change I've ever made. No flats and smooth rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    First thing I did on my '12 xcal was go tubeless. I went with the maxxis ardent and they have been on there since. Pedals are personal preference... I just went with shimano xt (had been using shimano spd road pedals)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Run your stock tires for a month and pay attention to what everyone else on the trails are using for tires -- different tread patterns and compounds work better on different soil types and terrain, tire choice can be a very regional thing. My go-to for a bike like the X-Cal. is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph w/ SnakeSkin, which seem to be popular in many places, but there are a few places around the country where folks don't seem to get very good mileage out of them.