mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What do I do with this Trek 4300 frame?

I have a Trek 4300 frame... How do I go about knowing which part I need to buy to make this a whole bike? I'm simply worried about fitment issues.

My total experience with bike mechanics is bike maintenance and assembly of store bought bikes.

If anyone have an recommendations, I would like to spend as little as possible from nashbar, but I'm willing to spend extra if you feel it's worth it. my priority to get this bike up and running as a spare

46cm
    18"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pictures?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trek85 View Post
    Pictures?

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...arge/43002.jpg

let me know if a pic of my frame is actually neccesary. I can get it up later today.

Amazon.com: SR SUNTOUR Mountain Bike Fork XCT V2 Silver 26' 80mm: Sports & Outdoors

What do we think of this fork? The reviews seems to be all positive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I also have a 4300 and know what they look like.

Just curious what condition yours is in and what parts you are looking for.

mtbr member

What do I do with this Trek 4300 frame?

An important question: what do you plan to do with this bike? What level of riding are you at?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trek85 View Post
    I also have a 4300 and know what they look like.

Just curious what condition yours is in and what parts you are looking for.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/IMAG1705.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SycoCell121 View Post
    An important question: what do you plan to do with this bike? What level of riding are you at?
    I plan on doing some local trails at some parks in NJ, NY, and PA. I can't answer your second question because I actually don't know how to rate my riding level. I guess we can say beginner then. I think OEM would be perfect.

Condition of bike:

Frame: perfect
    wheels: ok (back needs truing)
    tires: heavily worn
    all cables: worn and frayed
    brake pads: heavily worn
    brake calipers (?): sticks some times
    hand grips: broken
    fork: rusted frozen
    pedals: heavily worn
    derailleur: works fine to me
    teeth of cassette and crank: heavily worn
    gear shifters: "I don't know what is wrong with this. probably needs to be tuned properly, but... I don't know" - local bike mechanic speaking about the front derailleur and cable to gear shifter

mtbr member
    I have a 4300 that I'm building up for my son, when he gets a little taller. I'm putting stuff on it from my parts bin, not really spending any money. I wouldn't spend much on a 4300 -- once you get into some $$$, it starts to make more sense to just sell it and find a more capable used bike on Craigslist.

It sounds like you know what needs to be done. The biggest killer item is the dead fork. That XCT is OK, if you can get it REALLY cheap. Better bet would be to look for a fork on CL- an older low/mid level Rockshox (Dart, Recon, Tora) or Marzocchi (Marathon or 44) for less than $100 (MUCH less than $100 for a Dart or Marz Marathon). I would under no circumstances spend more than $100 for a fork for that bike.

After that, new grips, pedals, cables, brake pads, tires, and drivetrain will still cost you a fair amount (all prices pulled from Amazon.com, don't include shipping, but you should be able to get all of this for not much shipping amount if you get it from one shop):

Grips: $5
    Cables (assuming you can reuse the housing): $10
    Pads: $15
    Pedals (cheap platforms): $20
    Tires: $30 (CST Caballero)
    Cassette: $20 (Shimano HG-51)
    Chain: $15 (KMC Z-72)
    Chainrings: I believe the Suntour crankset on that bike has riveted chainrings. You'll have to replace the whole thing. Assuming the bottom bracket is OK, an Alivio 8-speed triple can be had for about $40.

So, all told, you're looking at something between $200 and $250, if you can do all of the work yourself and have the necessary tools (crank puller, spoke wrench). Then you'll have a Trek 4300 with a better fork, and new tires and cables, that's worth maybe $150 - $200.

Now go to your local CL and see what you can get for that amount that's better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I have a 4300 that I'm building up for my son, when he gets a little taller. I'm putting stuff on it from my parts bin, not really spending any money. I wouldn't spend much on a 4300 -- once you get into some $$$, it starts to make more sense to just sell it and find a more capable used bike on Craigslist.

It sounds like you know what needs to be done. The biggest killer item is the dead fork. That XCT is OK, if you can get it REALLY cheap. Better bet would be to look for a fork on CL- an older low/mid level Rockshox (Dart, Recon, Tora) or Marzocchi (Marathon or 44) for less than $100 (MUCH less than $100 for a Dart or Marz Marathon). I would under no circumstances spend more than $100 for a fork for that bike.

After that, new grips, pedals, cables, brake pads, tires, and drivetrain will still cost you a fair amount (all prices pulled from Amazon.com, don't include shipping, but you should be able to get all of this for not much shipping amount if you get it from one shop):

Chainrings: I believe the Suntour crankset on that bike has riveted chainrings. You'll have to replace the whole thing. Assuming the bottom bracket is OK, an Alivio 8-speed triple can be had for about $40.

So, all told, you're looking at something between $200 and $250, if you can do all of the work yourself and have the necessary tools (crank puller, spoke wrench). Then you'll have a Trek 4300 with a better fork, and new tires and cables, that's worth maybe $150 - $200.

LIKES! Could not agree more

I was in a similar situation, wanting to upgrade my 8yearold bike for my brother.
    Did the calculations and got a secondhand bike instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post

Rockshox Fork
    Rockshox Judy XC

I already emailed both of them. What do you think of these two?

Quote Originally Posted by camelunderwear View Post
    LIKES! Could not agree more

I was in a similar situation, wanting to upgrade my 8yearold bike for my brother.
    Did the calculations and got a secondhand bike instead.
    I think learning to replace everything will be of great value to me. Hopefully it won't be a total failboat

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'd sell it, personally. The frame is boat anchor heavy and with all the worn components....is really why the original owner offed it anyway. If you do decide to keep it - I'd go full 9-speed, with a "modern" Rock Shox, Fox or Manitou fork, but the cost of modernizing it for novice use will easily run close to $700...especially if you need new wheels.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"