mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What do do with 4300 disc?

I cut my teeth on a 2011 4300 disc and recently upgraded to a rumblefish. I was thinking that I'd keep the 4300 around as a backup bike, or a friend loaner bike.

The whole friend loaner bike is it's current role, but honestly I'm tired of loading up 2 bikes to take to the trail, and fixing flat tires and such. I do not enjoy riding this bike on the trails even a little bit now.

I was going to sell it, but $350 is about the most I'd be able to get out of it, and I still might go this route.

It's been raining a lot around here the past week and I took the rumblefish out the other evening to ride some paved trails, and it got me thinking... All I really have to do is put some hybrid or road tires on the 4300 and it would serve as an ok bike the ride on the road and I wouldn't have to invest much at all.

So..would that be a viable plan? What would be a good tire to use in this scenario?

Thanks in advance

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's viable if you actually ride it. Or like most of us that have told ourselves that this will be our plan, it will take up space in our garage, collect lots of dust and rarely get ridden :~)

For tires, I'd look at the Bontrager LT3 or Specialized Fast Trak Armadillo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: What do do with 4300 disc?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    It's viable if you actually ride it. Or like most of us that have told ourselves that this will be our plan, it will take up space in our garage, collect lots of dust and rarely get ridden :~)

For tires, I'd look at the Bontrager LT3 or Specialized Fast Trak Armadillo.
    Sadly you're probably correct. I just figured for wet dirt days, it might be nicer, and save the mtb tires for the dirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bought some bontrager H2 tires and just put them on. I might try it out with a short ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Went through the same dilemma 2 months ago, but I had upgraded to a fuel ex8. I sold the 4300 and got $400 that I put into the fuel.

mtbr member
    I put a set of 1.95 Kenda Kross tires on my old MTB and used that for road rides till I got my 'cross bike last month.

Good tires, and cheap too. They have a slick tread that touches the road, then knobs on the side in case you hit any soft stuff.