mtbr member

Warranty Transfer??

Hey! There,, i was just inquiring if anybody knows if its possible to get a warranty transfered on a new frame sold but never built by first owner?? I don't want to fork out the doe to joe if theres no warranty?? Maybe i should of asked Trek or who ever??Any Trekker know?? Thanks
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nope, original owner. Guessing its a warranty replacement frame. If its a frame sold by a bike shop as a frame only and never built, I would check with the shop that sold the frame.

But, generally no unless you know the owner of the shop and they hook you up.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nope, I asked Trek Europe the same question last September.

I could get a nice deal on a SF100 from a friend, but according to Trek the warranty is not transferable.
    Warranty is only valid for the first owner with original receipt.

DaFaJa
    Trek red shield warranty, I think that's the only thing that you can transfer from one owner to the next.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Yes red shield does transfer to 2nd owner,, I wish they would all change this policy,, when it can be proven its a new frame,, they do it in the auto industry. It would be good for consumer and seller and pick up new customer to boot. Why not charge a small fee to renew it ?? It maybe time to get a signed petition or what ever you call it of Bikers to get them to think about it ??
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIL CRANKER View Post
    Yes red shield does transfer to 2nd owner,, I wish they would all change this policy,, when it can be proven its a new frame,, they do it in the auto industry. It would be good for consumer and seller and pick up new customer to boot. Why not charge a small fee to renew it ?? It maybe time to get a signed petition or what ever you call it of Bikers to get them to think about it ??
    I am new to biking about a year and a half and thought the same thing. Why don't they just warranty the bike for 3-5 years and transfer the warranty to the new owner for a small fee. If you buy a new bike and it gets a bad rap for braking it is hard to sell and you end up keeping it and not buying a new bike (lost sale). You like to get new stuff every year so you sell your bike with warranty and buy a new bike (new sale). Also the used bike buyer likes the bike and warranty and decides to upgrade and buys a new bike from the dealer. I guess the manufactures hope riders sell there bike before they break and the new owner gets stuck with it. Problem is the new owner won't buy from the manufacture because he has lost faith in there product.

The mountain bike industry suffers from quality in my opinion. In my year and a half of riding the riders that ride my towns trails have almost all had problems with frames I think around 20 new frames were issued from the manufactures. I have had a new frame and chain stay, wife's chain stay, blistered tires, new brake master/levers , XX1 problems, XTR pedal problems . I am 51 and weigh 165 lbs and our trails are pretty flat and easy so no bike abuse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I am new to biking about a year and a half and thought the same thing. Why don't they just warranty the bike for 3-5 years and transfer the warranty to the new owner for a small fee. If you buy a new bike and it gets a bad rap for braking it is hard to sell and you end up keeping it and not buying a new bike (lost sale). You like to get new stuff every year so you sell your bike with warranty and buy a new bike (new sale). Also the used bike buyer likes the bike and warranty and decides to upgrade and buys a new bike from the dealer. I guess the manufactures hope riders sell there bike before they break and the new owner gets stuck with it. Problem is the new owner won't buy from the manufacture because he has lost faith in there product.

The mountain bike industry suffers from quality in my opinion. In my year and a half of riding the riders that ride my towns trails have almost all had problems with frames I think around 20 new frames were issued from the manufactures. I have had a new frame and chain stay, wife's chain stay, blistered tires, new brake master/levers , XX1 problems, XTR pedal problems . I am 51 and weigh 165 lbs and our trails are pretty flat and easy so no bike abuse.
    I'm 55 and weigh 148 lbs , i broke my yeti 575 rear triangle , i was the second owner, so i was out of luck, so i fixed it myself with carbon fiber weave and resin , most people said it would be very difficult and not safe, so far that was all fear speaking, i been riding it for about 6 months , it only cost about $60, They wanted about $600. to replace. Thats why i think as a forum we should voice are reasons to manufactures to change their one sided ways.
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIL CRANKER View Post
    I'm 55 and weigh 148 lbs , i broke my yeti 575 rear triangle , i was the second owner, so i was out of luck, so i fixed it myself with carbon fiber weave and resin , most people said it would be very difficult and not safe, so far that was all fear speaking, i been riding it for about 6 months , it only cost about $60, They wanted about $600. to replace. Thats why i think as a forum we should voice are reasons to manufactures to change their one sided ways.
    I agree. It sounds like you just want to run out and buy another Yeti. HaHa
    Good on you for fixing it, I would have done the same if not covered buy warranty.