mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Wanna hurt myself, not my bike...

So i got a new Trek 8000 about 2 weeks ago
    ive lately amused myself riding off 2, 3 foot stuff, but it occured to me that it might be a bright idea to know what the bike can handle

I'm 155 pounds, roadie for 2 years before this - can handle a bike well, am easy on my equipment.
    What can i put this thing through, and how creatively can i hurt myself before the bike pays the price as well as my body?
    (cuts heal on the body, cracks in the frame dont. stupid philosophy, but im a highschooler and it doesnt cost money to heal my arm )
    -estone2

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Considering your weight and....

the way you say you ride, you are probably okay for quite a while. But do keep in mind that the 8000 is an out of the box Sport class racer and XC bike. Not really designed for a long term, steady diet of drops or jumps. But with that said it is a strong bike. Anyway, I would use caution with this diversion and keep it to a minimum if you are looking at it from a longevity stand point. Remember, aluminum has a limited stress life. The more you stress it the shorter that life becomes. There's no accurate way to estimate just how long you've got, there are just to many variables. Anyway, occasionally entertaining yourself with a few 2 to 3 footers won't hurt too much. Just don't make it a daily thing, just occasionally when boredom takes hold.

But if you really start getting into it more (read frequently and bigger) I would recommend a heavier duty HT designed for jumps and drops. Better to have the right tool for the job than junk a nice ride like the 8000.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"