mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Used Trek 4500 alpha

I'm looking at a used Trek 4500 alpha, from the style it does appear a little dated. Unsure how dated it is..The guy wants $400 for it, is it worth it?

Its about the same price as a brand new 3700, and a new 4500 disc is only a few hundred more than this. I want to save a bit of money but I don't want to have a purchase i'm sorry about either.

I have not rode this bike, but I did test out the new 3700 and really did like it at the bike shop.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated, i'm a bit of a newb to higher end bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TXTony
    Dude how tall are you...that thing looks like a 21 or XL frame...I think I would bite the bullet on this one a drop the extra cash on a new one..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It does look a little big, I have not seen it in person. Your right tho, I am leaning to a bike shop and getting the right size for sure. I'll probably spend twice as much as I want but I think i'll end up being happier in the end.

TXTony
    Yeah I think you will for sure be happier...plus you will have a warranty and the bike will fit...no good deal...and i would argue that 400 is not such a great deal for that bike...matters if the thing does not fit..unless that picture is distorted I am guessing here,,,, but I am thinking you would need to be in the 6 foot 2 inch range to even consider that thing..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I guess it might even be a 24" frame. Do a google search and you can find used ones for less. Best bet saze a few more $$ and then get the new one that has a warranty and LBS that will fit and adjust the bike.