Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22

    Used 05 Session 77

    I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 Trek Session 77, but do not know a lot about them. I want to get a bigger bike to do some downhill, but a bike that can climb to the top. Anything against this bike that I should know?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,695
    The Session 77 is in the 40lb range. Not exactly something you would want to climb with. Its made for going downhill.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    332
    2005 is 8 years ago. Considering that we are speaking about a DH bike 8 years of beating is too much for me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The Session 77 is in the 40lb range. Not exactly something you would want to climb with. Its made for going downhill.
    40lb range is pretty heavy considering my current bike is a 2010 trek 4300 disc. Would something like a specialized enduro be better? I found one and it looks like more of a downhill bike, but the rear suspension has somewhat of a lockout.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    Sounds like you want an all-mountain bike. The Specialized Enduro fits that category as does the Trek Remedy. I have a 2012 Remedy 8 and it climbs pretty well. But it really shines on the downhill. It weighs about 30 lbs.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
    Sounds like you want an all-mountain bike. The Specialized Enduro fits that category as does the Trek Remedy. I have a 2012 Remedy 8 and it climbs pretty well. But it really shines on the downhill. It weighs about 30 lbs.
    I would love to have a trek remedy, but I have not found one in my price range. I was thinking around $1000 for a mountain bike like trek remedy or specialized enduro.
    Specialized Enduro All Mountain Bike
    The link is to a 2007 specialized enduro expert sl?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    That Enduro looks like it might be OK for what you want. Just make sure it's the right size and hasn't been abused. My earlier point was that I don't think a Session is the type of bike you really are looking for. If you are going drop $1,000 make sure you are getting the right bike for your riding style.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    I'm about 6' to 6'2''. Does anyone think that a this bike would be to small for me?
    Trek Fuel EX 5

    I am riding a 13'' Trek 4300 and its too small, but is a 17.5 that much bigger?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    I think a 17.5 is too small for you. I'm 5-9 with a 32-inch inseam and my Remedy is an 18.5 virtual/17.5 actual. Not sure what Trek's whole virtual sizing means, but you are 4-6 inches taller than me. So I'd guess you need like a 19.5 or bigger. The Fuel EX is a great bike and would probably be well-suited to your riding.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
    I think a 17.5 is too small for you. I'm 5-9 with a 32-inch inseam and my Remedy is an 18.5 virtual/17.5 actual. Not sure what Trek's whole virtual sizing means, but you are 4-6 inches taller than me. So I'd guess you need like a 19.5 or bigger. The Fuel EX is a great bike and would probably be well-suited to your riding.
    I come from a bmx back ground and want to be able to throw the bike around a little bit. I have a trek 4300 small frame for a dirt jumper, but it sucks ass trying to ride that it to the top of the mountain. I want to get something bigger so that I can ride it up hill, but I'm able to flick the bike around a little like a dirt jumper.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    If can, you should try that 17.5 Fuel EX. You might like the way it fits. And if its in good condition $1000 might be a good price. I think those sold for around $1600 new.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
    If can, you should try that 17.5 Fuel EX. You might like the way it fits. And if its in good condition $1000 might be a good price. I think those sold for around $1600 new.
    Yeah they did sell for around $1600. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow with my brother and see first of all if the bike fits me, but I think for never riding a full suspension bike before that this one will do great for awhile. Maybe I don't know, this bike may have enough suspension for everything ill ever do and have a strong enough frame that it can do some 3ft to 5ft jumps. I'm not really into doing big jumps.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for new Session 88, all out???
    By FirstAscent in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM
  2. Session
    By roblee in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM
  3. One More Session
    By pdlhrd in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM
  4. Session
    By William42 in forum Trek
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 05:04 PM
  5. New Session 88
    By rat7761 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •