mtbr member

upgrading rear shock on fuel?

I'm looking at a "top fuel" 9.8 2010.

As I'm looking at rear shocks I realize I know nothing. On fox's website, they aren't sub classified by travel, like forks, and the air shocks only go from 1.5-3 in terms of travel.

So I guess I have a couple of questions.
    1) Are these numbers (1.5-3) inches? Or what? Because 3 inches isn't even 100mm. I guess I always assumed the rear travel matched whatever was on the front. Is that not the case?
    2) Can I put more travel on the rear of this bike? So I get something that feels more like a remedy than a top fuel? Would it make a huge difference? If so, what are my options?
    3) Lastly, the fork was upgraded to a talas 36. I've heard changing the fork size drastically puts stress on the headtube. Is this true? Would it actually snap if I ran 40 more mm that the bike was designed for?

Listing. Super sexy.
    2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rear shock (fox) is usually described by two numbers (i.e., 7.5x2) where the first is the shock length (eye to eye) and the second is the shock stroke. Both in inches. The travel is a function of the frame and usually expressed as some multiplier which when multiplied by the shock stoke gives the bikes overall rear travel (i.e., 120mm). You need to be careful with changing these values as you may run into clearance issues or destabilize the intended geometry of the bike. Best to consult with the frame/shock mfg. for possible shock swaps (front or rear). Could also effect warranty if you still have one.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

Kick Start My Heart

Re: upgrading rear shock on fuel?

The amount of travel is dictated by the rocker. I don't know of anything custom. The leverage ratio of the rocker is why the disparity on the lengths. Factory is a 6.5", with 1.5" stroke. RP23 has been working fine on my 70, (same geometry).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2