mtbr member

Upgrading fork on Cali?

My wife has a Trek Cali 29er, which came with a heavy 100mm coil Suntour fork. I'd like to upgrade her to a lighter, more adjustable air fork. I'm interested in the X-Fusion Slide, but I'm concerned about how a different fork that doesn't have the "G2" geometry offset will affect the handling. Will putting a 100mm that doesn't have as much fork offset change the handling? What about putting on a 120mm fork?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja View Post
    My wife has a Trek Cali 29er, which came with a heavy 100mm coil Suntour fork. I'd like to upgrade her to a lighter, more adjustable air fork. I'm interested in the X-Fusion Slide, but I'm concerned about how a different fork that doesn't have the "G2" geometry offset will affect the handling. Will putting a 100mm that doesn't have as much fork offset change the handling? What about putting on a 120mm fork?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    It's best to get a G2 (51mm offset) fork as that's how the frame is designed. If you aren't happy with the handling as is, then maybe consider a non-G2 fork.

Changing travel is changing your HT angle, which will drastically change your handling. I think doing the 120mm change will have a greater impact on handling than just going non-G2. The 120mm fork will slow your bike handling down, which is often the inherent problem with 29ers anyways so I'd assume this is a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    It's best to get a G2 (51mm offset) fork as that's how the frame is designed. If you aren't happy with the handling as is, then maybe consider a non-G2 fork.

Changing travel is changing your HT angle, which will drastically change your handling. I think doing the 120mm change will have a greater impact on handling than just going non-G2. The 120mm fork will slow your bike handling down, which is often the inherent problem with 29ers anyways so I'd assume this is a bad idea.
    Thanks for the info. it's not that she's unhappy with the handling. It's just that the stock fork is super heavy and really harsh. It has preload adjustment, but it's minimal.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb