mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Upgrading a 2013 Remedy 7 - advice needed

Ok ok, I don't have one right now. Actually, I'm hoping to get one soon.

Anyhow, here's my plan if and when I get that 2013 Remedy 7:

Replace handlebar and stem to 780 Boobar and 40mm stem (Kore Durox or Truv Holzfeller)
    Replace the Avid Elixir 3 brakeset and rotors to M675 SLX and XT IceTech (203/180)
    Replace the Deore shifters to either SLX or XT I-Spec shifters
    Replace seatpost to 2012 Reverb stealth
    Replace the wheelset for a FlowEX+Hope Pro 2 Evo+DT Swiss Champion one
    Replace the crankset for a 2013 2x SLX or maybe go 1x and using a chainguide

Sensible? Stupid? Should I just leave the bike alone? Upgrading wouldn't be in one go, although preferably it should. As much as possible, I'd like to upgrade immediately so I can sell the replaced parts as unused condition, and so garner a higher price versus used built-bike take-offs.

That said, what would be the recommended first thing to replace? The 2012 Reverb is available locally but the stealth version AFAIK isn't. Other than just aesthetics, is there any advantage the Stealth version has over the regular Reverb?

My main concern really are the hubs of the Remedy 7. Is the Formula DC51 front hub and Bontrager sealed bearing rear hub tough enough? I'm 200 pounds more or less and while I do not really ride aggressively, I aim to do so with this bike. The problem with Hope (other than how much it costs) is that these come with 9QR stock here, and if I want to convert the front to 15mm TA, the solution is online purchase - and that's gonna take awhile since I usually join a group purchase to cut down on shipping and customs duties costs. For the wheels, I'm looking to replace at the very least the rims to FlowEXs so I can run tubeless (am currently running with Crests on my hardtail, and am very much satisfied by Stan's rims).

Also, what's a good chainguide that won't break the bank? Do I still need a chainguide when running in 2x? I have never used one before and know nothing about chainguides except they prevent the chain from dropping.

Thank you all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    XT brakes and Flow wheels are best upgrade. Run the shifters until they break/wear out/you run across a smokin deal on something else.

of course bar/stem needs to be to your liking/comfort/fit.

mtbr member
    The upgrades would definitely make the bike better.

But as far as being sensible on your pocketbook, I would say go ahead and buy a used upgraded bike. It's a lot cheaper that way.

I was eyeing this one myself.
    Trek Remedy 8 w Upgrades 2011 19 5" | eBay

Unless..
    1) You really like the new geometry of the 2013 frames, buying a several year old model on the used market would make a lot of sense.
    2) You are uncomfortable buying used, in which case more power to you.
    3) You don't think you could find close enough components used

Otherwise go for it.

I'm hoping to get one soon myself. Wicked cool bike.

Oh and one last thought.
    If you do any significant uphill/flat ground riding, then consider buying a 2011 for the same reason I am thinking about it. The fork on that model allows you to drop the amount of suspension to 110 on the front, or maybe its 120. For when you have to climb a hill, or are doing a leggy xc ride, I've heard that can be helpful.

Great bike. Go for it.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
    I was eyeing this one myself.
    Trek Remedy 8 w Upgrades 2011 19 5" | eBay
    IMO, the lister is asking too much for that bike. My local trek dealer is selling new 2012 Remedy 8s with warranty for $2400. Depending on how much wear that bike has on it you could end up paying the difference on the used bike in chains, cassette, chainrings, pivots, suspension service (how many people follow Fox's 30 hour service interval?), brake pads, tires, and all the other disposables on a bike. And if you need to warranty the frame you are SOL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    IMO, the lister is asking too much for that bike. My local trek dealer is selling new 2012 Remedy 8s with warranty for $2400. Depending on how much wear that bike has on it you could end up paying the difference on the used bike in chains, cassette, chainrings, pivots, suspension service (how many people follow Fox's 30 hour service interval?), brake pads, tires, and all the other disposables on a bike. And if you need to warranty the frame you are SOL.

Yes but the upgrades are fairly significant.
    A better wheelset, and full xt/xtr. I see stock remedy 8's going for above the 2k mark.

Either way, I think we can agree remedies are some of the best bikes out there no matter what you upgrade it with and how much you pay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would prefer buying an older model, 2011 even (although IIRC, 2011 has a steeper headtube angle, yes? I prefer 67 degrees), but alas no old models are available from where I come from (SEAsia).

So am stuck getting a 2013 model - assuming the bikeshop can get it (spoke to the shop owner, he says availability is the main issue but it is possible to get it; the price he gave me makes it very very attractive ).

Worst case: I'll get a 2012 Reign 2 ( ) which is currently available at a shop, at an attractive price, but for all its specs and looks, I just can't "fall in love" with that Reign 2.... hehehehe

Targetting December 2012 or first quarter of 2013 to get that Remedy.

ETA: I am 5' 3" or 5' 4" and am getting the size 15.5 Remedy. Currently using a 2011 Trek 4300 size 16.

mtbr member
    Yes I believe the 2011 has a steeper headtube angle. I might be wrong, but I think they slackened it in 2012 and again this year. Maybe that was the fuel.
    I havn't actually ridden the 2011 myself, so I'm not sure how I would like the head angle, but atleast I know that most of my bikes have had steeper angles so I should be good.

Ya, I would wait for the remedy if I were you.
    First, it's good to wait. The anticipation will make you appreciate it more.
    Second, we all know you would never be happy on the Reign

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a 2011 remedy 7 and I was super into the upgrade bug...but I soon realized that parts can be expensive and well I ride a part until it fails that way when I need to upgrade I already know what I think will be a better part for my bike. So far all I have changed is to an answer 720 bar. The stock one was way to short for the remedy, and changed to 1x10. I am looking into getting a new wheel set and shimano brakes. Not a fan of avid brakes at all.
    2011 Trek Remedy 7

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Question guys on what Reverb I should install on this future bike. Apparently, the Reverb comes in different lengths (travel?). According to the SRAM website, these are 100mm: 355mm, 380mm, 420mm; and 125mm: 380mm, 420mm. The Remedy 7 I'm hoping to get is size 15.5, the seat tube length is 40.5cm. What Reverb should I get for the Remedy?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    *bump*

Anyone can answer my question at post #9?

Also, I just committed to buying the 2013 Remedy 7, having paid my downpayment yesterday.

It's a 2-3 month wait. EEEK!!!!!

The suspense is killing me!