mtbr member
    May 2007

Upgrades For 4300 Disc

I upgraded the front shock, now i want to upgrade the front and rear derailleurs. Should I go with Shimano Deores?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you pls tell me what shock you got....I have a Trek4500 with Judy1 and want to replace it soon. Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My upgraded shock now is a ROCK SHOX DART 3 with rebound adjustment and on-the-go lockout. Now i want to upgrade the front and rear derailleurs. Should I go with Shimano Deores?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Deore derailleurs would...

be an upgrade over your stock components. But from a performance and durability standpoint, I'd suggest going with LX or XT. A little more money, but the increase in durability alone would be well worth it and you'd definately notice the better performance. You're budget of course will dictate what you can do. Deore components work well, but they are not known for exceptional durability. That being said they are quite reasonable performance wise and are quite serviceable. Your choice.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    how has that 4300 disc been working out for you? i've been looking at one myself and was always curious to talk to people who've been using the bike and riding it. any info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by luvu2bleep
    how has that 4300 disc been working out for you? i've been looking at one myself and was always curious to talk to people who've been using the bike and riding it. any info?
    Personally I have Trek 6000 but my wifey has Trek 4300. So far so good, however, few upgrades are a must worth spending some money. Here's the list of my upgrades:

1) Oury Mountain Grips Purple
    2) Shimano Deore XT® SL-M748 8-Speed Shift Levers Pair
    3) Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers Mica Body/Black Handle, Pair InstantPriceMatch
    4)Tires IRC Trailbear 26x2.25
    5) New Trek saddle
    6) Rockshox Dart 3 + (new coils for people who weigh less than 63kg)

UPDATE: instead of going with Rockshox Dart 3, I bought two Rockshox Tora 302 for $400 + free shipping from goatspeed.
    Last edited by PatrickK; 06-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If your going to upgrade go with LX minimum and strive for the XT. Might as well upgrade the shifters as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you mean at minimum go with the LX, but if i have the extra cash go with XT?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrout
    you mean at minimum go with the LX, but if i have the extra cash go with XT?
    Yep. For cost sake you would do well with XT in the rear and LX in the front. LX shifters would probably be fine as well but XT does have the trickle down technology of XTR. Also the XT line is getting completely redesigned for '08 so some good deals on '07 XT components should start poping up.

mtbr member
    upgrade the saddle...the bontrager one sucks hard

upgrade the rst gila...this fork might as well be rigid.

lx or xt drive train, perhaps some avid bbs later on.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.