hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Upgrade Wheels for 2011 Fuel EX 7

Hi,
    I have 2011 Fuel EX7 with stock wheels, I'd like to get better, lighter wheels but i have no ideal about the size of rear thru-axle and the front QR, my budget is around $300 - not sure if it's worth to upgrade with $300, maybe not enough.
    I've seen a lot Mavic Crosstrail but i'm not sure if they work with my bike.
    Please give my some ideals how to do it, all advices are welcome.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Kydong.

I live in Bay Area, CA - I ride mostly @ STCP, Mission Peak, Lake Chabot, Garin..... nothing crazy @ age 50.
    Last edited by hvc; 07-24-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: correct

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Please help if you know something.
    Thanks.
    KD

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    According to this: Trek Bicycle

Your frame has APB Convert, which if I understand it correctly, means that you can run either a 135mm QR hub or a 142x12 hub (double check with Trek dealer). Up front, just look for any QR Mountain bike wheel.

At your pricepoint, you may get your best deal by getting Universal Cycles to build you a custom set. I'd recommend WTB Frequence i23 or Stan's Arch EX rims with DT comp spokes will make give you a durable, yet relatively lightweight build. Shimano hubs could keep you within budget. A SLX rear hub will get you quicker than stock 11-degree engagement (don't know if you are looking for this)

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sean, thank you so much for your advise, I'll make a note to do custom set,
    Again, thanks. Sorry for did not get back to you right away.
    HVC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Was hoping to see more in here. I also am looking at upgrading my EX's wheels.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Was hoping to see more in here. I also am looking at upgrading my EX's wheels.
    What's your budget and list of needs/wants? I've been researching wheels for the past year now (too much time, not enough dough).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Honestly, somewhere around $500-600 if I can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I put a set of 2012 Crosstrail's on my '12 ex8...setup tubeless with over 500 miles on them and so far so good! I like to ride fast, and pretty hard for a #240 guy, but I dont jump or hit big drops. 3' is about the biggest Ive done. The Crosstrail front is a 15mm hub with adapters to use a QR, and the rear is standard. Only downside to the set is I kinda want to move to the 142x12 setup in the rear and would have to get a new hub or wheel. For $300 its hard to beat the Crosstrails.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I'd go for a custom built wheel from Universal Cycles (I bought a cheaper custom wheelset from them, very well built)

DT Swiss 350 Hubs: Durable, available in any axle type, and (if not standard) upgradable to the 36 point star ratchet for 10 degree engagement
    WTB i23 Frequency rims: decent strength and weight, wide footprint
    DT Competition spokes
    DT nipple: brass or alloy, your choice

Not super blingy, but these would be a quality wheelset that would last.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Upgrade Wheels for 2011 Fuel EX 7

Haha, that was all gibberish to me. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another option, order a set of 28H hubs and re-lace your Dusters to them with good double-butted spokes.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Another option, order a set of 28H hubs and re-lace your Dusters to them with good double-butted spokes.
    If you're wheels are low-milage and in excellent shape, that would be a possibility. However, wheel builders that I've spoken too advise against rebuilding wheels with used rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    If you're wheels are low-milage and in excellent shape, that would be a possibility. However, wheel builders that I've spoken too advise against rebuilding wheels with used rims.
    Of course they do... At the end of the day the rim is the cheap part of the equation. Then again, when you are on a budget you are on a budget and it's easy enough to re-lace to a new (of the same, or same ERD) rim later.

For $300-400, if the OP is willing to assemble himself and let a practiced wheelbuilder bring the tension up, and he re-uses the rims and shops around for hubs he can probably end up with a pretty nice wheelset. There is no $300-400 wheelset on the market appreciably better than the one this Trek came with -- except on the used market.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Of course they do... At the end of the day the rim is the cheap part of the equation. Then again, when you are on a budget you are on a budget and it's easy enough to re-lace to a new (of the same, or same ERD) rim later.

For $300-400, if the OP is willing to assemble himself and let a practiced wheelbuilder bring the tension up, and he re-uses the rims and shops around for hubs he can probably end up with a pretty nice wheelset. There is no $300-400 wheelset on the market appreciably better than the one this Trek came with -- except on the used market.
    I beg to differ about putting together a better wheelset at that price range.

Light and quick for $384: Stans Arch EX rims, SLX hubs (QR), DT comp spokes, DT brass nipples

Harder hitter for $378: WTB i23 Frequency rims, SLX hubs (QR-front, TA-rear), DT comp spokes, DT brass nipples

I'd pick Shimano SLX hubs for this price range because they are relatively quick engaging (11.25 degrees) and durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    I beg to differ about putting together a better wheelset at that price range.
    I said appreciably better, I would consider what you threw out only marginally better -- not an upgrade worth $400 (to me).

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I said appreciably better, I would consider what you threw out only marginally better -- not an upgrade worth $400 (to me).
    To each his/her own. Spend you're money as you will.