mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Upgrade my Fuel..or new bike?

I've got a 2003 Trek Fuel 80 right now and after my October trip to Moab I'd like to either beef up the Trek or get another bike. I'd like disc brakes and a fork thats better than the Pilot SL. I'd kinda like to get a fork with adjustable travel so when those long wicked decents are coming up I can dail in a little more travel.
    Problem is, I'll end up spending $700 to $1000 on upgrades and the bikes plenty heavy already. So basicly, I could just put that money towards a 5" trail bike like the Fisher Cake, Specialized Enduro Comp, or Kona Coiler.
    What would you do?

mtbr member
    i've ridden fuels with 100mm forks and though the ride was better it just seemed a little unbalanced. if you're mainly doing downhill stuff and possibly major drops i would say either sell the fuel or keep it but work towards getting something with more travel. you could try to find a deal on a heckler frame with a decent fork for $1500 more or less then transfer the drivetrain from the 80 over to it. going ahead and buying a full 5" bike would be good if you were really sensing weakness in your present wheelset and crankset but i think you could get by with what you have for at least a while.

mtbr member
    As you can see in my post on the trek love topic I wen the upgrade route. I mainly went this route as I like to tinker and do things myself. Ebay was a big help for must of my upgrades, like you I hate the pilot that game on the bike and once I switched to the Duke 80MM SL which is a real AIR fork and has 30mm sanctions the bike became a really good one. I paid $199 for the fork brand new off Ebay and another $100 for a King headset. Disc brakes were $120 for the set and $250 for the wheels. So as you can see I spent about $680 upgrading the bikes forks, brakes, and headset.

If you like to tinker do the upgrade, the bike will get lighter VS heavier my XL Fuel 80 is now at 27lbs vs the 30lbs it started it. Now if you would rather just ride and go then sale the current bike and make the jump to a bike that has all the equipment you want on it already and probably a little cheaper then the upgrade proccess.

Flying Gorilla
    I would say you need to be riding a different frame. I don't really think a Fuel will stand up to your kind of riding for too long, but I wouldn't jump to the idea of a whole new bike too quickly. If you like the fuel frame, which is sounds like you do, I would look for a Trek Liquid frame somewhere. It sounds like a perfect fit, and you can get them dirt cheap! Just sell your frame, fork, brakes, and wheels together, and you should come up with essentially a totally new bike for not a whole lot of money.

You can pick up a nice set of disc wheels for $200, avid disc brakes for $150, Fox Vanilla R fork for $200 (look hard enough and you can get that price), and the money you made off your frame and extras would surely cover the cost of a nice trail bike frame. You could get a great performing "new" bike for around 500 bucks.

They are plenty of options for you here, but that would be your best bet in my opinion.
    Friends don't let friends ride junk

Project Paragon

Happy Trails,
    Ellison

Kai
    mtbr member
    It sounds like you need a different frame along with those upgrades. Sell your Trek and buy something with longer legs. I was a never a Fisher rider before but I stumbled on the Sugar 3+Disc. If you can find a 2003 model somewhere you can't beat the value in this bike. The Fox 5" TALAS in the Front and 4.1" Fox R in the rear works awesome. I can dial in fast and easy if I'm climbing or going for a bid decent. I love this bike and it's not a big jump from the Liquids and Fuels. I was thinking of upgrading like yourself but too many complications arose. Look into the Fisher for a great value. There was a positive write-up in Mountain Bike Action a few months ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    For Fishers, I was looking at the new Cake model, not the Sugar. I can understand the comments about using a longer fork on the Fuel because on my local trails are pretty steep and sometimes its hard enough to keep the front tire down. I personally don't think the components on the bike are great enough to transfer to a different frame. I was thinking about getting a 2003 Duke sl fork for it cuz they are getting pretty cheap and have a wide travel range ( 80 to 108mm ), but I probably will just keep the money and save towards a new bike or build one up. I did find a 2000 Cove G-Spot frame and the guy is asking $400 for it, maybe that would be an option.