mtbr member
    May 2006

Upgrade Fork on 4500

I love my 06 4500 and would like to do a bit of upgrading on it. I lent my brother a few hundred dollars a few months ago and he's finally coming through with the money so i'd like to get a new front fork for my bike. I'm looking for a fork that is more all mountain than xc. I'd like for it to be able to handle small drops (1 to 2 feet) and plenty of rocky and rooty terrain. Since the stock fork on my bike is a Judy 80mm, is it possible to get more of an all mountain fork? Do I have to stick with 80 to 100mm forks? I'd like to get something in the middle range (moderate weight and price with moderate to high performace.) Any help is greatly appreciated.

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    I love my 06 4500 and would like to do a bit of upgrading on it. I lent my brother a few hundred dollars a few months ago and he's finally coming through with the money so i'd like to get a new front fork for my bike. I'm looking for a fork that is more all mountain than xc. I'd like for it to be able to handle small drops (1 to 2 feet) and plenty of rocky and rooty terrain. Since the stock fork on my bike is a Judy 80mm, is it possible to get more of an all mountain fork? Do I have to stick with 80 to 100mm forks? I'd like to get something in the middle range (moderate weight and price with moderate to high performace.) Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I wouldn't opt for more than 100mm. My preference would be a Marz. MX Comp w/ ETA. Imo excellent performance at at a GREAT price.

Crashin' since the 60's

Marz. MX Comp w/ ETA

I did exactly that on a 03 Trek 4500 about a month ago. Somewhat suprisingly, even the change from 80mm to 100mm was noticable as far as top tube height. Running with the ETA lockout engaged brings the front down enough on climbs so that it isn't a problem. It is the best $200 i've ever spent on an upgrade.
    Flick Lives!

Corrie
    Jul 2006
    I did the same thing to my Trek 4300. I swapped out the RST Gila for a RockShox Judy SL. The U-turn is a great feature, which lets me adjust from 70-115mm of travel. The fork however, is stiff, and acts like a big pogo stick. But its better than the RST.